Best western hunting state to retire in with good hunting and fishing access?

traildust

Lil-Rokslider
Still got a few years to go, but curious about other states, other than Texas. I had been eyeballing the CO west slope, but CO is changing....and not for the better it seems. But I don't live there so I have a small amount of exposure.

Texas is a great state, but our public lands access suck big time.....and it's hotter TF 10 months out of the year!

Curious about CO, Utah, WY, ID, MT

Property prices, taste taxes and public access are factors as well.

CorbLand

WKR
I would pick the one that has the best tax structure for retirees. Then find a town that puts you within decent driving distance of multiple states. One of those states would have to have good NR opportunities. If you haven't, start gaining points in the states you have mentioned if applicable.

GAHunterJim

Lil-Rokslider
Recently drove from Kansas City to Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, then back through WY to Denver. Sheridan WY seems to have lots of promise but I found most of the states mentioned are very expensive. WY is tax friendly but pretty isolated, Cody WY seems to have good healthcare option but very expensive. Laramie is a nice but small college town with close proximity to CO. Fort Collins CO is a favorite as well. We looked at local housing options during our two week, 3,000 mile drive, last month and really didn't see any of what we would consider affordable retirement options.

It's sad to think we have to be a certain age to retire. Tragic really.

Anyway, don't retire to NM. I'd look at western SD.

tourproto

FNG
Pre-Covid I would have said Montana or Idaho. But home prices doubled during the COVID years. I am now looking at the Reno, NV area to retire (my BFF has lived there for 30 years and loves it)

ODB

WKR
Wyoming is great, moved here from Texas.
Locals do not want to know how you did things back in Texas though, lol.

Yup. Same here in Idaho. One thing Texas and California have in common is it seems they like to go other places and let everyone know where they are from.

I was in Reno for a volleyball tournament. Got in the elevator and a couple gets in.

“Where are you from?” She says.

“Idaho.”

“We’re from California. We come up here all the time and like to let it all hang out. We usually stay at the…”

You get the idea.

As far as the OP. There is a lot left out here but getting ridiculously urbanned. We
Moved back here after being gone a decade or so, right in the middle of Covid. It’s a damn good thing we did ; we could not afford the house we found if we moved here now. It is over 200k more after just a few years. This summer will probably hit +250k. Insanity.

Yup. Same here in Idaho. One thing Texas and California have in common is it seems they like to go other places and let everyone know where they are from.

I was in Reno for a volleyball tournament. Got in the elevator and a couple gets in.

“Where are you from?” She says.

“Idaho.”

“We’re from California. We come up here all the time and like to let it all hang out. We usually stay at the…”

You get the idea.

As far as the OP. There is a lot left out here but getting ridiculously urbanned. We
Moved back here after being gone a decade or so, right in the middle of Covid. It’s a damn good thing we did ; we could not afford the house we found if we moved here now. It is over 200k more after just a few years. This summer will probably hit +250k. Insanity.
Texans are just running from Californian’s invading the state.

Austin is the next Portland. Dallas and Houston have fallen to intercity geto status, Due to DA’s not prosecuting crime.

The burbs are still holding on but Cali’s are quickly invading school boards so that will change soon.

In reality TX isnt great for retirement just due to property taxes. No income tax so sales and property taxes are pretty high.

Still got a few years to go, but curious about other states, other than Texas. I had been eyeballing the CO west slope, but CO is changing....and not for the better it seems. But I don't live there so I have a small amount of exposure.

Texas is a great state, but our public lands access suck big time.....and it's hotter TF 10 months out of the year!

Curious about CO, Utah, WY, ID, MT

Property prices, taste taxes and public access are factors as well.
Ive been looking at Montana, sq ft prices was a little high @1000+ sq ft

Greenbelt

Lil-Rokslider
Northern Cali would probably be a good choice. If you have 10 years or more to retirement, all the Californians will probably be moved to CO , NV or ID. Hunting should be great in Cali by then, while these 3 states will be terrible.
Isn't funny we are looking a lot better than most states at this point. Beating down every gun case in the fed courts, etc etc. But don't be saying that too loudly. Where I have properties in NorCal no one even needs a ccw cause everyone's got a fishing pole. And good luck dialing 911 cause no one's gonna help you but you.

wytx

WKR
I'll stay far away from them....I promise!
They are the very ones you should befriend, salt of the Earth types.
Just joshing about the telling us how you do it.
Kind of the same attitude every local resident has with all transplants in every state.

Wyoming folks are pretty friendly and very independent. However, they are more reserved I would say.
Heck someone gets talking too loud in a bar they might get asked to hold it down.

Housing costs in Laramie are super high for our sized town.
Glad ours is paid off but prop. taxes are also high.
We enjoy it though. Summers are nice and students are gone for the most part then.
I think our health care is fine but you do need to travel for some.
We're an hour from all the specialty shopping we need, less to Cheyenne.

By Feb it's time to head South for some warmer weather and hog hunting, we're tired of winter and it's not over by a long shot .