Bow Case for Flying

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Thinking of getting a new case this year before I fly out to Montana. My current case (cheaper hard case from Cabelas) has a hole in it from the last flight. I naturally look at the hard cases first, like the SKB, but after reading some reviews of other cases, the Legend Everest and Elevation Jetstream have me considering a hybrid style case.

What has everyone had success with? I know that airlines aren't easy on luggage.

mtbshark

WKR
I got an skb off amazon and have flow with it a handful of times and love it. I pack it with as much clothing as I can or 49.5 pounds.
And for Washington Idaho Montana hunt with truck it is bomb proof back in the bed.
Oh the cast I got has wheels which is rad in airports

$.02 for ya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolling duffel with bow in soft case. Cabelas Ripcord XL for $159 has flown on about 20 flight legs on 3 trips to Nunavut and NWT last year. It is holding up great so far. Generally load to 49#s but have loaded to 70#s for a February hunt to in the Arctic. Good luck!

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I got an skb off amazon and have flow with it a handful of times and love it. I pack it with as much clothing as I can or 49.5 pounds.
And for Washington Idaho Montana hunt with truck it is bomb proof back in the bed.
Oh the cast I got has wheels which is rad in airports

$.02 for ya

Do you know which model you got?

Hard case seems like the foolproof way to go. I just worry about hitting that 50# mark quickly.

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
Rolling duffel with bow in soft case. Cabelas Ripcord XL for $159 has flown on about 20 flight legs on 3 trips to Nunavut and NWT last year. It is holding up great so far. Generally load to 49#s but have loaded to 70#s for a February hunt to in the Arctic. Good luck!

I guess that's more of the idea with the Legend and Elevation cases. Do you ever worry about your bow getting damaged?

Trial153

WKR
I have an SKB, its decent. The latches dont have solid locks. I had to add eyes that locks can be attached too. Other wise it's good case. Light weight for what it is. That said I use my sitka nomad more often. Packed with clothing it protects my bow and does double duty for everything else. Down side is that it's over sized and while I havent been nailed on it yet( probably about a dozen round trip flights) I am expecting to get dinged anyday.

If I buy another hard case it will newest pelican air case they made for bows. Way better built then my skb

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
I have an SKB, its decent. The latches dont have solid locks. I had to add eyes that locks can be attached too. Other wise it's good case. Light weight for what it is. That said I use my sitka nomad more often. Packed with clothing it protects my bow and does double duty for everything else. Down side is that it's over sized and while I havent been nailed on it yet( probably about a dozen round trip flights) I am expecting to get dinged anyday.

If I buy another hard case it will newest pelican air case they made for bows. Way better built then my skb

The Nomad caught my eye as well. I really like the idea of packing in my bow and all my gear in one bag. Saves on bag fees as well.

I'll look at that pelican air too. Thanks

I make it work.
It is a drop bottom duffel. The lower part of the bag where the bow goes is pretty rigid. I stuff clothes around the bow and have never had an issue.
It has wheels and a retractable handle.
Most of the parallel limb modern compounds fit. I think it's around 37 inches long.

I’ve heard good things about skb I have a hard time finding a care to fit my 34 in bow though

jmb1269

Lil-Rokslider
Hard case. ...take a look at the pelican vault cases.... I like mine better than my skb case and it was half the price

I guess that's more of the idea with the Legend and Elevation cases. Do you ever worry about your bow getting damaged?
With the amount of clothes, boots and pack around the bow it is well armored in the Ripcord. And the Ripcord XL is long enough to fit a Prime Rival that is 35” axle to axle axle and in a Prime softcase with my quiver, arrows, etc. I usually put an old Mathews in too as a backup bow. The Ripcord weighs 9#s empty do you can take 40#s of clothes, bows, arrows and gear. Note, I always carry-on optics and electronics...anything with batteries. I do take the bow sight off on occasion.

OP
PSDBowhunter

PSDBowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
With the amount of clothes, boots and pack around the bow it is well armored in the Ripcord. And the Ripcord XL is long enough to fit a Prime Rival that is 35” axle to axle axle and in a Prime softcase with my quiver, arrows, etc. I usually put an old Mathews in too as a backup bow. The Ripcord weighs 9#s empty do you can take 40#s of clothes, bows, arrows and gear. Note, I always carry-on optics and electronics...anything with batteries. I do take the bow sight off on occasion.

This is something I never really thought of until I started looking into it some more. My first instinct was to go hard case, but the benefits of a semi rigid bag that can handle the weight and protect the bow with all of your gear seems very popular. It also saves on bagage fees. I just want to make sure I'm not jeopardizing my bow without a hard case.

Trial153

WKR
A hard case is self limiting in that there is only so much you can pack in and around the bow space wise. You will rarely get it up near the 50 pound mark. So if the case is 10 pounds empty or 20 it really doenst make much difference.