Bow Setup Help/Input

Hi all.
Im wondering if I can get anyone's opinion or input on my current setup. I'm bowhunting for elk for the first time next year and I'm trying to dial in my gear (well ahead of time). I have my bow that I've used for deer for the last 9 years, which is a Hoyt Faktor 30. I have this bow currently setup to 65lbs (I'll be maxing it out to 70) with Axis 300 spine arrows. 16g HIT insert, with 125g broadheads for a total of 481g. 260fps, 13.5% FOC. I'll be upgrading my bow in the future but I'd like to make this bow work for another year. I'm trying to learn, and any input is much appreciated.

OP
RileyRaz18
Absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I wouldn't worry about going to 70# if it's going to effect your accuracy or shooting ability.
Okay. I have had it at 70 before, I just decreased 10lbs for practice/repetition purposes, trying to not tire out as fast. Now working back up.

ndbuck09

WKR
Bow setup is just fine for elk. Biggest thing in my opinion is a really being diligent in the heat of the moment to not put an arrow into the shoulder/too far forward.

Jbxl20

WKR
Which broadheads?
I shoot axis 300’s with brass inserts and 100gr heads. They are a Tough arrow

OP
RileyRaz18
Bow setup is just fine for elk. Biggest thing in my opinion is a really being diligent in the heat of the moment to not put an arrow into the shoulder/too far forward.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. That's why I'm trying to get settled on equipment now so I can practice through this winter.

OP
RileyRaz18
Which broadheads?
I shoot axis 300’s with brass inserts and 100gr heads. They are a Tough arrow
I'm undecided on which broadheads right now. I was thinking about trying the tooth of the arrow 125g broadheads and see how they fly. But im open to trying out other heads

nphunter

WKR
Keep the arrow 6" behind the front shoulder and you will be in good shape. I hunted with a very similar setup for several years with great success. Any broadhead will work with that setup, TOTA would be a good choice, personally, I would opt for a 100gr fixed head with a little smaller cutting diameter, the 125's are typically less forgiving due to a larger cutting surface and at 455gr you will still be plenty heavy and will also pick up some velocity which is a win win IMO.

as long as it tuned properly there's nothing wrong with that set up. id recommend getting a set of unbound archery strings on it so that your yoke tune holds true for the entire year without it stretching.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
That setup is plenty fine for elk.
Any well built 3 blade fixed with around an 1-1/8" cut will go right through them with your setup. .
Some good advice on aiming point above. An elk's lungs extend back a decent amount from the front shoulder line, especially halfway up. I like to hold about 3" off the shoulder line halfway up for a center lungs hit, gives some wiggle room and well away from the scapula. You want to stay away from an elk scapula if you can help it.

OP
RileyRaz18
as long as it tuned properly there's nothing wrong with that set up. id recommend getting a set of unbound archery strings on it so that your yoke tune holds true for the entire year without it stretching.
I'll look into these. I actually just had to have three twists put into my string yesterday because of this..