Bugle Report 2014

"this may sound stupid......but......do bulls still bugle during the first rifle season? or has it all ended by then? I am so pumped and ready to go. I am dreaming of what it is going to be like.... Yes, I am green but I have been trying to get this done for over 7yrs now and finally got drawn. I have so much to learn. I am a fast learner tho. and I am certain that I will have a good time. I have practiced my bugle over and over on different sounds. However; I am pretty certain that I will not even pull it out of my bag. I'd like to watch them in their environments to get an idea of what and how they respond."

I've been told cows estrus cycle is basically 1 month, so with the 1st season (CO) being the middle of Oct puts the cows in their cycle assuming it is typically peaked in Mid-Sept. In my experience, I have routinely had bulls bugling during the 1st season.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Not bugling related but thought this was kind of funny and interesting. Went to bed the other night in my base camp. Base camp is a 14x16 wall tent and two trucks parked around it. About 9:30pm I start to hear this weird sound.......kind of like a grumff, grumff.........then hooves all around the tent and breaking timber around the campsite. They eventually worked their way out of camp, but then at 0330 I woke to the same except they stayed right there for about an hour running circles around my tent and even tripped over one of the tie down ropes pulling out the stake. Not a single bugle or cow chirp of any kind the entire night just the grumff, grumff, grumff. I believe they were in full rut mode without the bugling........used my campsite as their brothel. I feel a little violated.:cool:

Just makes me wonder how they can run circles around my tent all night with all my scent right there, yet bust out of the county when they get the first scent of me when I have a bow in my hands in the daylight.:confused: I didn't think elk could reason. In the morning.....nothing but hoof prints all around camp. Taunting little bastages.

Thanks COLOelkman. I am getting closer to push off. I have never been in the woods with screaming elk and would love to experience that for sure. Fact is I would to even see one. Trying to get up there on Oct 8th to kinda get a feel for that area. I will not walk through the woods prior to opening day. Some people scout a few days before; however why move animals out just so one can see? What ever happens, I'm certain that I will enjoy. Thanks again for the information. I keeps me motivated.

If you can get to an area to glass from before season, that can be a real benefit. Some areas are not as conducive to this as others but for an area you are not familiar with, I think it might help to glass at first and last hours of the day. Obviously you don't want to unnecessarily bump animals but viewing from a distance is advantageous in my opinion.

ridgefire

WKR
They were bugling really good for us in central Idaho until this past Tuesday or so and then they shut up, pretty sure because of the heat. We still went 3 for 4 though on bulls.

Randle

WKR
Same here in N . Idaho , they got quiet, we also are 3 for 4 2 bulls and a cow. Congrats Ridgefire.

brewer427

WKR
Not bugling related but thought this was kind of funny and interesting. Went to bed the other night in my base camp. Base camp is a 14x16 wall tent and two trucks parked around it. About 9:30pm I start to hear this weird sound.......kind of like a grumff, grumff.........then hooves all around the tent and breaking timber around the campsite. They eventually worked their way out of camp, but then at 0330 I woke to the same except they stayed right there for about an hour running circles around my tent and even tripped over one of the tie down ropes pulling out the stake. Not a single bugle or cow chirp of any kind the entire night just the grumff, grumff, grumff. I believe they were in full rut mode without the bugling........used my campsite as their brothel. I feel a little violated.:cool:

Just makes me wonder how they can run circles around my tent all night with all my scent right there, yet bust out of the county when they get the first scent of me when I have a bow in my hands in the daylight.:confused: I didn't think elk could reason. In the morning.....nothing but hoof prints all around camp. Taunting little bastages.
This cracked me up, especially when you try and replicate on the internet the noise he was making while doing his buisness:DThanks for the laugh.

ahlgringo

WKR
Colorado report- Just got back from 8 days to finish up the season. It was a weird one for sure. Hunting in north Centralish Colorado. Area for the last 5 years has been loaded with elk, and they absolutely are going nuts at least most of the last week of archery season- like rutfest nuts with 100-200 bugles each morning. Well this year was totally different. We were on elk most days with tons of fresh sign- but the bugling was way way down. We would hear maybe 3-4 in a morning and then they would shut up by about 8am for the day. My hunting partner and I postulated about every excuse we could think of, but I really just think it came down to the weather- its been really unseasonably hot this week- like 70-75 during the day and not freezing at night- just not sure they have hit the upswing of full rut yet. regardless had a couple of opportunities that did not quite pan out and passed on a shot at a bull at twilight b/c just couldn't tell the quality of his rack in the low light backdropped on the dark mountain. Just wondering if anyone else who may have hunted in the same area saw similar behavior?

I was in central colorado off and on throughout the entire season and only heard a few bugles until today. This morning at about 545am the bugling started though and I was treated to 5 hrs of great bugling. At one point I had three bulls bugling to each other. I couldn't get them to leave the cows and they weren't going after each other. I had to follow them and keep the wind good the entire morning. Finally sealed the deal when one of the bulls gave away his location and bugled on the way to his bedding area where I was set up for an ambush.

Since the weather turned cool here a few days ago in SW Montana the singing is much better. Worked a bull this evening who was making his presence known by 5:30 this evening and never quit. He was still serenading us as we walked out in the dark. Will be back there in the AM to see if we can beat him to bed.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This past week in Central Colorado they were singing all morning and into the afternoon, and it was hot. One day I was coming out drenched in sweat and got to the road. Had about a 1/2 mile hike on the road to my truck. About 200 yards from the truck I hear a big deep throaty bugle off to my left in a small stand of aspens in a small draw only about 100 yards from the road. Tried to sneak in and got busted. Couldn't believe they were hanging that close to the busy road at mid day.

KMT

WKR
It was a weird year in central Colorado for us. Elk were much more quiet this year than in the past. They didn't seem aggressive. Bulls that bugles to each other would never move toward each other. They completely shut up on Thursday morning and never made a peep after that. And we covered a lot of ground and lots of bowls. I got lucky and called in a silent bull on Thursday morning.

It was a weird year in central Colorado for us. Elk were much more quiet this year than in the past. They didn't seem aggressive. Bulls that bugles to each other would never move toward each other. They completely shut up on Thursday morning and never made a peep after that. And we covered a lot of ground and lots of bowls. I got lucky and called in a silent bull on Thursday morning.

That's cuz the rut is just kicking in. At least were I'm at in central co. Season is over. It's picking up! Bulls going crazy

Sapper

Lil-Rokslider
I know this probably doesn't count, but the Pa Elk started screaming around the 20th. Spent last 2 weekend in the A.O. and had a blast practicing for next yr CO archery!! Yes, I know it's not the same as out there so don't start! It's still awesome though! Anyway, Lost a nights sleep from about a dozen or so bulls screaming all night. (Totally worth it). Called in a nice bull w/ some kickers one morning. About 50yds but thick. I recorded some video from my hammock around 4:30am. No pic, just sound. I'm gonna try to put it on. He was about 100yds away.

Never mind. Either can't be done or I'm too stupid to figure it out. Probably the latter

BigDog00

WKR
I just got back from my second trip to western Wyoming chasing deer. The elk were bugling and still herded up. There was a lot of bugles through the night and into the morning. Lots of elk around

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
I just got back from unit 76 in Colorado and the Bulls were going nuts. It's like it was peak rut. On the last night of the season I was in the middle of a "rut fest". 6 herd Bulls with around 40-50 cows and around 15 satellite Bulls. EVERY elk was going nuts. Even the cows. They started screaming at 4 pm and never shut up. I shot a good 6x6 and even then the bugles never stopped. Coolest thing I've ever been a part of.