Can Rokslide do better?

Lately, I have noticed an increase in posts from obvious spammers. I'm not technically savvy enough to know whether they are bots or actual people, but their postings are very obvious.

Random "welcome" or bringing up a five year old thread with some generic rambling.

Their usernames also generally look questionable.

They're obviously here to scam people in the classifieds and I believe that the burden lays on the individual involved in the transaction. There is really no excuse to not do your own diligence. However, I can certainly see how people who are less accustomed to these things may not catch on. If you are buying or selling, read the previous postings from people and ask yourself if they seem legitimate. I personally won't be dealing with anyone other than reputable members.

So my question is, can Rokslide do better to prevent these asshats from getting in?

Maybe the security questions need to be tightened up? Do we need to go to a paid membership for access?

I would gladly pay a monthly subscription or similar to get ride of the RS BS.
110%. People pay RMEF, WSF, etc...all kinds of other national and local memberships. Dip, cigs, booze, weed, golf, and other forms of entertainment. Why should Rokslide be free? Outside of the mods, I'd say we all get significantly more out of it than we put in. Even if it was just $10/year.....something.

JEck

WKR
Just use some common sense when buying. Ask for FaceTime, specific pics etc. I would not pay a subscription to use the site.

wnelson14

WKR
Just use some common sense when buying. Ask for FaceTime, specific pics etc. I would not pay a subscription to use the site.
That’s the easiest part.

The posts where someone who joined that day then continues to asks what unit or where to go, Or if their vortex scope is good, or if there .270 will work on deer under 400 yards without actually using the search function is by far the worst.

Maybe instead of paying you have a more extensive wait period or vetting process before you can post or buy.
That would actually get people using the search button.

Get rid of the WTB adds and most of the scamming would go away.

Some people would complain about being hung with a new rope. Those same people seem to think that this site was built mainly for the classified forums, just saying

Good point. The classifieds are a feature of the forum, not the purpose.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I never have and never will but anything from a forum or anything like, Graigs list, offer up, or any other on line classified add unless I am able to actually go see what is being sold. I trust no body.

IDVortex

WKR
I never have and never will but anything from a forum or anything like, Graigs list, offer up, or any other on line classified add unless I am able to actually go see what is being sold. I trust no body.
In my 32 years of living on this world, your last 4 words is what I go by in life.

The best thing we can do to improve the classifieds is to use the feedback feature. Even if it's just a bunch of generic "great buyer/seller" reviews, a track record of good transactions is the best predictor of another good one. I make it a point to leave feedback on every transaction I participate in but only receive feedback about half the time.

110%. People pay RMEF, WSF, etc...all kinds of other national and local memberships. Dip, cigs, booze, weed, golf, and other forms of entertainment. Why should Rokslide be free? Outside of the mods, I'd say we all get significantly more out of it than we put in. Even if it was just $10/year.....something.
I'd have to think real hard about whether or not I'd pay for it. I'm as cheap as they come.

I don't pay for any local or national memberships. No dip, cigs, booze, weed, golf, skiing, gym etc....

I've even been thinking about quitting coffee because I don't like buying it every month.