Can we stop being rude & insulting please? Think before you click. Please don't get banned!

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've deleted a few comments on different threads lately where folks did nothing but provide a smart a** insulting comment . Why would you make a comment that provides nothing beneficial, is rude, not humorous to anyone and makes you look like a jerk? If all you bring to the conversation is negativity perhaps Rokslide is not your cup of tea. There is a way to disagree/debate that doesn't make you look like a jackass. Give it a try.

Ironically some of the folks guilty of this actually have a lot to offer and can be a great source of info. Patience and tolerance might not be foremost on your mind but you need to take a step back and think through your comments ahead of time. Nothing wrong with strong personalities and opinions but you need to be constructive, relevant and factual with your words. I love a good debate where I might be proven wrong as this is a great way to learn. I realize we have some folks that post up questions that might seem odd or out of touch. There is a way to make a point to let them know this without going into full butthole mode. In fact we need to police ourselves and call out folks when they are discussing topics that are not up to par.

Example: FNG posts a thread stating they don't need binos because they can look at anything and everything with their rifle scope. I fully expect everyone to address this with something like--"That is an incredibly bad idea and very unsafe" and not "How could you be so stupid". As crazy as it seems these folks might've had some wacky mentors and learned poor habits. I assume they are willing to learn if they are here so why not call them out the right way and provide constructive comments and details.

We have folks with all sorts of experience levels-some genuine experts with decades of experience and some serious greenhorns that have never even fired a gun or bow. Remember though the experts were not born as such.

What if tomorrow you tried something you had zero experience with-something you wanted to be successful at but had no clear path to take or even where to begin. How would you gather info? Who would you reach out to and what questions would you ask? What if your son or daughter or friend came to you for advice on outdoor activities-would you try to help them or insult them?

I realize it can be a challenge to bite your tongue (or control your keyboard) when you are passionate about the subject matter at hand but please try to keep it between the ditches. Life is hard enough already-let's not make it worse.

Some people just really don’t give a rats &*#.

Sometimes I want to respond to the “bad comments” but I kno that they want me (us) to take the bait. And generally I move on or just get back on topic.

I’ve always been told in my line of work that ya shouldn’t ever send an email when heated/mad and I think people just don’t pause to think about that.

Just my .02 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just generally type up a blazing response to the negative comments and then I hit delete. Sort of cleansing to my soul. God gave us two ears and one mouth. I have seldom ever regretted what I didn't say.
We do have a few of those that often only stir the pot.

As I am typing this prepping to go to work for a 1 AM shift I find it slightly ironic you post something like this yet it seems about 50% of the folks in my neighborhood have no issue setting off fireworks nightly for a week leading up to the 4th. I understand they are celebrating freedom but maybe celebrating freedom should not also be at the expense of others. As a kid I loved fireworks I would do them any time of the year but my nearest neighbor was a mile away back then, in my neighborhood now there are 94 homes packed into 1/4 mile square. All that to say I think being rude is just par for the course in most of society these days.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
As I am typing this prepping to go to work for a 1 AM shift I find it slightly ironic you post something like this yet it seems about 50% of the folks in my neighborhood have no issue setting off fireworks nightly for a week leading up to the 4th. I understand they are celebrating freedom but maybe celebrating freedom should not also be at the expense of others. As a kid I loved fireworks I would do them any time of the year but my nearest neighbor was a mile away back then, in my neighborhood now there are 94 homes packed into 1/4 mile square. All that to say I think being rude is just par for the course in most of society these days.

Sadly consideration is in short supply these days. We are turning into a I/me/we society where if you don't fit a particular profile you are not worthy. Hard to grasp why people don't understand the impact of their actions on others.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I actually got off of rokslide for a couple mos because of this and just got back on today to check it out. l have to deal with jerks almost every day at work. I really dont wanna deal with it on my personal time.
Welcome back!

bnsafe

WKR
I had screwed up my moose app and was already sick about it. I had a legit question trying to figure out if I screwed it up or something else was going on, and some guy comes on telling me how you lose your points forever etc if you miss a year. I knew this was bull, no pun intended, but still, I was already devastated I screwed my hunt up. Why try to add to my misery.
It always amazes me how we can choose to treat other people instead of just either being kind or keeping your mouth shut.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
i say get the ban hammer out when they get rude.

let them go somewhere else and be a jerk.
It depends. If the person has a history of such behavior and has been warned then they might get the boot.
I don't want to ban someone with a knee jerk reaction though. We can all have a bad day or sometimes we start posting before our first cup of coffee. I want to be sure it is not a one off as we all can get twisted and say or write things we wouldn't normally.

CorbLand

WKR
Sadly consideration is in short supply these days. We are turning into a I/me/we society where if you don't fit a particular profile you are not worthy. Hard to grasp why people don't understand the impact of their actions on others.
The I/me/we society has been happening since the dawn of time.

It’s not new, your just starting to see the compounding effects.

Last edited: