Can you over cardio?

Pwells10

WKR
I should’ve paid way more attention in college when I was an athlete. To be fair, when you’re a first baseman you don’t run a whole helluva lot.

Can you over cardio?

Say run 2 miles then stairstepper with weighted pack?

MThuntr

WKR
rhabdomyolysis...though pretty rare for casual cardio.

Running 2 miles on a stairstepper could do it if your body isn't ready...also as a side thought why running on a stairstepper? I could see maybe some short intervals but running seems painful and unnecessary for anything other than ultra marathon trail races

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR

Running 2 miles on a stairstepper could do it if your body isn't ready...also as a side thought why running on a stairstepper? I could see maybe some short intervals but running seems painful and unnecessary for anything other than ultra marathon trail races
Sorry I should’ve been better at explaining.

I’d run 2 miles on the treadmill then get on the stair climber with weight

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR

I need to up my stamina and endurance on the mountain. But I also need to lose fat.

MThuntr

WKR
Gotcha.

You'll lose fat by walking/hiking though high caloric output helps push you into a caloric deficit faster. A good diet will probably be more important that cranking out tons of cardio. You can't outwork a bad diet (I'm very guilty of this lately).

2 miles and some stair stepper will definitely get you some endurance but core work with some squats and deadlifts will definitely help.

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Gotcha.

You'll lose fat by walking/hiking though high caloric output helps push you into a caloric deficit faster. A good diet will probably be more important that cranking out tons of cardio. You can't outwork a bad diet (I'm very guilty of this lately).

2 miles and some stair stepper will definitely get you some endurance but core work with some squats and deadlifts will definitely help.
Absolutely. My diet is definitely not the best.

4 years ago I did keto, lost a ton but once I stopped I gained more back than what I started with. So definitely not doing that again. I’ll just have to watch the calories.

I’ll go back on my old plan from college and use the running and stepper as after workout routine

WLD

FNG
I started intermittent fasting back in my smokejumping days when I needed to keep my weight down. I am still onto it almost 10 years later. My problem wasn’t eating bad food but overeating in general. IF has basically solved that for me to the point where I have difficulty ever gaining any weight. This is what works for me, it’s not for everyone. Basically find what works for you: body type, exercise routine, life circumstances etc.

Clarktar

WKR
I started intermittent fasting back in my smokejumping days when I needed to keep my weight down. I am still onto it almost 10 years later. My problem wasn’t eating bad food but overeating in general. IF has basically solved that for me to the point where I have difficulty ever gaining any weight. This is what works for me, it’s not for everyone. Basically find what works for you: body type, exercise routine, life circumstances etc.
What does your I.F. schedule look like?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Srp

FNG
It is the rare individual who will actually overtrain. Our subconscious is pretty good at talking us out of working out way before overtraining is an issue.

An outfitter that I hunted with in MT who guides 60 to 70 bow hunters a year said that almost everyone is stronger on day 5. The point was that after 4 days of 10+ mountain miles everyone was feeling great and in better shape than on the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ThunderJack49

Lil-Rokslider
I should’ve paid way more attention in college when I was an athlete. To be fair, when you’re a first baseman you don’t run a whole helluva lot.

Can you over cardio?

Say run 2 miles then stairstepper with weighted pack?
I used to do stuff like this all the time when I was training to Hotshot.
Tri-athletes do workouts like this often as well. (Bike>Run or Swim>Bike etc.)
MMA athletes will train one discipline, take a small break and then train a different one.
I found switching forms of cardio targets different muscle groups and keeps you training when boredom/fatigue might have convinced you to stop.

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
When I was training for a tough mudder race, I would run on the treadmill, taking a break every 1/2mi to get in other exercising. I would usually rotate between pushups, pullups, situps and carrying a loaded pack up steps. It was kind of fun.

P Carter

WKR
Yes, you can overdo cardio. No, running 2 miles and then doing a stairstepper isn’t even close. How many days a week? Are you also doing strength work?

(My opinions, obviously.) imo, you can overdo cardio if 1) you get injured or 2) you’re doing cardio strengthwork or activity-specific training. Short of that, it’s sorta like “can you be too strong?” The answer is probably something like “yes, but that’s not the problem that we non-professional athletes have to deal with.”

WLD

FNG
What does your I.F. schedule look like?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Either 16/8 or 18/6. I eat dinner at 18:00ish, then have breakfast the next day between 10:00-12:00. I’ll shift times as needed, but this one s by no means hard and fast as life happens, also on hunting trips it sorta goes out the window. But I do try and follow this 95% of the time. There’s a lot of information out there, but I think consensus is you need to hit at least 14 hours for your body to start benefiting from the fasted state. Other options are fasting 1 or 2 days a week and eat regular the rest of the time. I just find my above breakdown works for me. Hope that helps!

*zap*

WKR
Keep the majority of your aerobic training at conversation pace and you can do it for 2 hours a day with no issues if you work up to that. Do your cardio at a high heart rate and daily will become an issue for most people...also depends if your doing other fitness workouts.

Last edited:
OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
It is the rare individual who will actually overtrain. Our subconscious is pretty good at talking us out of working out way before overtraining is an issue.

An outfitter that I hunted with in MT who guides 60 to 70 bow hunters a year said that almost everyone is stronger on day 5. The point was that after 4 days of 10+ mountain miles everyone was feeling great and in better shape than on the first day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I over eat. Not always bad food, I just have a big appetite I suppose and if I don’t limit/diet I will always gain.

I’ve found that in the past like highschool I had to workout to maintain and even in college. It wasn’t until our coach would throw us through circuit training that I would actually lose weight.

The first week of getting back to working out is always the worst haha

OP
Pwells10

Pwells10

WKR
Yes, you can overdo cardio. No, running 2 miles and then doing a stairstepper isn’t even close. How many days a week? Are you also doing strength work?

(My opinions, obviously.) imo, you can overdo cardio if 1) you get injured or 2) you’re doing cardio strengthwork or activity-specific training. Short of that, it’s sorta like “can you be too strong?” The answer is probably something like “yes, but that’s not the problem that we non-professional athletes have to deal with.”
I try to go 5 days a week to the gym usually is about 4. Just depend on when my clients need me. And I’m also doing strength training as well before cardio.

ianpadron

WKR
The overtraining threshold for aerobic activity is so far past the typical workout it isn't even worth worrying about.

BUT, if you're just jumping in, you can easily overdo it with regards to wear/tear on your joints/soft tissue.

With cardio, your focus when starting out should be to build the biggest base/foundation possible. That means low intensity steady state training with some strategic higher intensity sessions sprinkled in to improve your V02 max. Note that higher intensity isn't HIIT at this point, just stuff like your quick 2 mile run (assuming your pace is sub 8min or so).

Once you have the infrastructure in place physiologically (increased RBC count, higher mitochondrial density, etc) then you can push the limits even harder as your LISS threshold will bump up as you adapt.