Cheap Skull Boiling Kit

treillw

WKR
Looking for a cheap pot and stove combo to boil elk skulls and make European mounts. Any suggestions?

A turkey fryer might work nicely.

Thanks!

EastMT

WKR
I’ve seen a few use a cheap metal trash can with a turkey frier under it for moose. They cut channels on each side into the trash can so it goes low enough to cover the head.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
If you use the galvanized tubs from the hardware store you can boil a few skulls at a time. I bought one of the basecamp single burners from walmart and a 20lbs bottle of propane. I have had mine for 4 years I think in total I paid $75 for everything.

amack26

Lil-Rokslider
^^^ I was introduced to maceration recently. It is a worth while process and the skulls come out looking really good from what I have seen.

4ester

WKR
For those that use maceration...... I’m assuming you have to glue all the teeth back in?

Do you still have to degrease to keep them from turning yellow?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RAPTOR

WKR
Galvanized bucket from tractor supply for $20...loggy bayou propane boiler $45 amazon.

OP
treillw

treillw

WKR
What in Earth is that?

Looks interesting. And worth a shot. It will be hard to do in MT over the winter though and i don't really want it in my garage. I suppose i could hang the heads in a tree somewhere over winter maybe.

Anyway, I'd still like the boiler setup for hunting in areas where CWD is an issue and you can't transport brains.

kiddogy

WKR
so how do you do the maceration tech if there are antlers attached to skull??

Elkero

FNG
A turkey frier setup is the cheapest one stop shop. Lots of places have them on special now as were getting closer to Thanksgiving

Stid2677

WKR
Just a PSA, be cautious when heating anything galvanized. The zinc fumes can be dangerous..... I use an old coleman camp stove and a chopped off steel drum. Slow simmer is plenty and helps keep from splitting bone. I know many need a fast way because of CWD issues, but IMHO maceration gives a much better end result.

IMGP0531.jpg