Color Blindness

COSA

Lil-Rokslider
Advantage or disadvantage for spotting game? Being color blind, I find it situational, some types of terrain the animals just seem to pop out, Other terrains, I seem to have trouble compared to non-color blinded friends.

CorbLand

WKR
Its hard for me to find them but once I do I rarely lose them again. Elk are the worst, deer are a little better but overall it sucks

noticed it sucks when blood trailing. hadnt really thought about it when initially spotting game. im red green color blind

CorbLand

WKR
Blood trailing is next to impossible for me. I always have to have someone help me.

Mmcan

WKR
noticed it sucks when blood trailing. hadnt really thought about it when initially spotting game. im red green color blind

My curse as well!! My hunting buddy can see a drop of blood 10 yards away in fall leaves. Amazing tracker. I have to see a chunk of lung coughed up under my foot.

Jimss

WKR
I have the same problem seeing blood...it's a real bummer! I also have trouble seeing orange-clad hunters! I believe they just started allowing pink to be used in Colo rather than orange....which I can see.

With that being said, I think a lot of spotting game is practice and having the ability to find a needle in a haystack. I always key on animal parts (ear, white rump, antlers, twitch of a tail, etc) rather than looking for the whole animal. It also helps to know what type of country or terrain holds the particular critter you are searching for (north vs south slope, shade, food, bedding areas, etc) This eliminates a lot of country where you might waste time glassing.

With that said, I often spot game quicker than a lot of non-colorblind guys. It may be because I practice spotting game just about every day while working, driving, etc. I'm sure I miss orange-green-red colored species that stick out like a sore thumb to those that aren't colorblind. A red head on a tom turkey is a good example!

ive gotten better at tracking but initially i was awful. even if ive found the deer i still go back and try and retrack to get more practice and that has helped a lot. along with shooting a big cut rear deploying broadhead like nap killzones so they go down pretty quick

Devonian

Lil-Rokslider
In WWII color blind guys were recruted for aerial photo analysis so you might be on to something. I don't feel like I have trouble spotting game vs my non colorblind friends but blood trailing is an other story.

kjack_74

FNG
Not color blind personally but I know my dad who was, could spot deer specifically, faster then everyone else in timbered situations here in Eastern Oregon ... He did teach me to blood trail very early on, I thought it was just to teach me but now after reading your guy's description it may just have been to use me as a blood hound since he couldn't see it, that wiley SOB.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

I'm not totally color blind but I am deficient in the red-green spectrum. Orange pops for me but pink is hard to pick up in the woods. Blood-trailing is really tedious for me too. I have to rub spots of possible blood between my finger tips to see if they melt/run or if it's just mud. I can see things that are clearly red or green but when it comes to comparing hues, I'm useless.

Overall, I don't feel like I'm at a disadvantage. Then again, you never know what someone else sees...

I would like to look through the color vision glasses that valspar and some optic company made. It would be interesting to see what I've been missing.