Colorado 2024 LE elk tag allocations?

Does Colorado publish what tags are allocated for what seasons in 2024?

Specifically interested in the NW 2nd and 3rd seasons that were traditionally OTC.

Been researching how many tags will be issued for those units and seasons and can’t find it anywhere on the CO website.

Any help would be appreciated!

def90

WKR
Yeah, the number of tags that are up for grabs isn't published until after the application process already happens. Best you can do is look at previous years though in the instance of these new draw only units that isn't possible.

OP
B
Reminder - those tags in NW Colorado (old otc) are now valid on private land only.
Yup tracking.

Sucks there is no way of knowing how good (or bad) the odds might be. I’d imagine you might be able to snag one on a 2nd choice but given the herd health I’m probably gonna look elsewhere anyway.

cnelk

WKR
One thing you could look at is how many tags were allocated for the 1st Rifle Season last year.
The CPW just might mimic that number for the new 2nd and 3rd season.

Just a thought

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
Reminder - those tags in NW Colorado (old otc) are now valid on private land only.
Really? I don’t understand. Arent there are some codes for private land and some limited entry tags for public? For instance em003o2r is valid on public and em003p1r is private land only?

def90

WKR
Really? I don’t understand. Arent there are some codes for private land and some limited entry tags for public? For instance em003o2r is valid on public and em003p1r is private land only?

Without looking at the guide the OTC seasons were 2 and 3 while one of the tags you are talking about is season 1 so a totally different thing.

So going forward OTC for season 2 and 3 will be private only and everything else will be a limited draw of some sort.

cnelk

WKR

Page 40 of the 2024 regs

Pvt Land Only.JPG

OP
B
One thing you could look at is how many tags were allocated for the 1st Rifle Season last year.
The CPW just might mimic that number for the new 2nd and 3rd season.

Just a thought
That’s kinda what I’m thinking.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
thanks - I think I get it. Basically otc tags can be used on private land only and public is now limited entry?

OP
B
thanks - I think I get it. Basically otc tags can be used on private land only and public is now limited entry?
Yup that’s it. Due to the fact it was OTC in the past, the number of LE tags that will be issued is anyone’s guess prior to the draw.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
They should eliminate all cow/doe tags in that area until the herd recovers, if it ever does (wolves)

UncleBone

WKR
They publish it in May I believe. It's after the draw app deadline, which I've complained about with little feedback on potentially moving it earlier.
Yeah, it would be nice if they would publish it before so you could get an idea of how allocations will be year to year.

cnelk

WKR
Ive asked the CPW about the release timeline of the quotas.
They said they are still doing herd counts in late March and the complied data isnt available before the draw deadline

def90

WKR
They should eliminate all cow/doe tags in that area until the herd recovers, if it ever does (wolves)

Well seeing that there are only two wolves that just entered the SE corner of Moffat County and the fact that CPW has done nothing to change tag allocations in the two units where wolves were actually released I'm guessing that this is a pretty far stretch.

UncleBone

WKR
Ive asked the CPW about the release timeline of the quotas.
They said they are still doing herd counts in late March and the complied data isnt available before the draw deadline
I would be okay if they pushed the draw deadline back a few weeks.

def90

WKR
So people hunted this as OTC in the past and are now wondering of if they should put in for the draw? Just put in for the draw and if you don't get it then just hunt OTC somewhere else

If I am thinking right there was an OTC archery unit in SW Colorado that went draw a couple years ago. The funny thing is everyone bitched about it but when I last looked you could draw it with zero points.

Jaquomo

WKR
I'm betting a large number of the "regulars" in those units are collecting points and after the die-off won't want to burn them there.

When deer went all draw, I burned a ton of points to to draw my longtime unit because I had a killer place to hunt big bucks with a bow. Would have drawn with zero.