Colorado GMU 18 - Need some guidance (Elk)

DoubleM

FNG
Hello,
My wife and I both have either sex Elk tags (1st rifle) for Colorado GMU 18. This is the first year I have managed to get her to agree to hunt so I am trying really hard to get her into some animals so she becomes addicted like the rest of us. I am not looking for herd bulls, freezer queens are perfect for us. This is the first time I will be hunting this unit so I am looking for any advice (even if it is where not to go). I plan on doing as much "boots on the ground" scouting as I can from now until the 14th as well as via the computer. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey DoubleM, I've hunted 18 for the last 4 years. Are you planning on packing in for camp or base camping? I have some good spots if you're willing to hike into the wilderness area about 4-5 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran into a bunch of elk in the aspen groves between pockets of steep, heavily downfallen timber in an adjacent unit last year while I was deer hunting during third rifle. There was minimal snow at higher elevations so I would imagine they were around earlier in the year.

OP
D

DoubleM

FNG
Hey DoubleM, I've hunted 18 for the last 4 years. Are you planning on packing in for camp or base camping? I have some good spots if you're willing to hike into the wilderness area about 4-5 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We will be packing in. We are willing to go wherever the Elk are. Any help is greatly appreciated!

I've got a cow-only 2nd rifle tag and a muley buck the same season. I was wondering the same about 18 - I've only hunted north of that unit but since archery was a bust this year, I need to get some meat in the freezer!

OP
D

DoubleM

FNG
I've got a cow-only 2nd rifle tag and a muley buck the same season. I was wondering the same about 18 - I've only hunted north of that unit but since archery was a bust this year, I need to get some meat in the freezer!

Same here. My wife and I had either sex Muley tags and did a whole bunch of Bow hiking....didn't even see one deer and we were out at least 20 some days...brutal. We need to get some meat!

well hey, best of luck to ya! My baby mama won't be making the trip with me but she'll be just as mad if I come home empty handed.

cmietzner

FNG
Ill be up there the same time. Maybe ill see you around. Ive got a buddy that has a place in Grand Lake, so Ill be driving/hiking in everyday. My only advice is make sure you know where RMNP starts. I watched a guy shoot a cow 2 years ago on the other side of the river (RMNP), not long after I saw a few Wildlife officers talking to him.

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
I think half of Rokslide has the same tag :). I'll be there as well- first time I have had this tag so unfortunately can't offer up much advice. Looking at maps, there's one big chunk of ground without a lot of roads- if you're looking to go deep that may be your only option. Wish I had more advice for you, but don't have high hopes of filling my tag and am looking at it more of a 5 day camping trip!

Heath