Colorado Leftover List

I am new to hunting out west and Colorado. I am hunting with a group of residents that are buying over the counter (I am guessing those are C). Can someone explained the ABC designation? On the current list there is 1 B tag for the unit. How can I tell if that tag is an either sex, Anterless or bull?

I am trying to find info on Colorado’s website, but stumbling around on it. I would have looked into this sooner but hunt just got put together this past weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am new to hunting out west and Colorado. I am hunting with a group of residents that are buying over the counter (I am guessing those are C). Can someone explained the ABC designation? On the current list there is 1 B tag for the unit. How can I tell if that tag is an either sex, Anterless or bull?

I am trying to find info on Colorado’s website, but stumbling around on it. I would have looked into this sooner but hunt just got put together this past weekend.

Forest,

The Hunt Code (furthest left column on the leftover list) will tell you what you need to know regarding antlerless vs bull vs either sex. The first letter of the hunt code is the species, in this case “E” for elk. The second letter is the sex designation: “E” for either sex, “F” for female, and “M” for male. The next three characters are unit, the next three characters are season. So for example, EE051O1R means elk, either sex, unit 51, first rifle. Essentially all either sex or bull tags are list A and you can only have one of those. The rules on which amounts of A, B or C list tags are in the brochure from this year, page 19.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Brochure/BigGame/biggame.pdf

Page 17 - How to read hunt codes
Page 19 - A, B, C designations. How to get more than one license

I am just reading the rules and laws, not intending to argue. The reissue process follows this law Colorado Wildlife Regulation Chapter 16, Article​​ IV, #1670. It looks like the law is dated 3/7/2018, so if that is correct, this is a different process than last year. If that is incorrect, then a majority of what is on teh refund page i linked earlier is false and the page is pointless. http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/RulesRegs/Regulations/Ch16.pdf

Maybe your buddy will have some insight?

It looks to me like returned tags that took five or more points to draw are offered to the next five people that would have drawn it. If none of them take it and surrender their points, those tags go to the leftover list. That is why there are some high draw tags on there.

Returned tags that took four or less points are reissued at random starting the following week.

Yeah, all of those PLO tags stick around, and there isn't much one can do about that. I do agree that there is probably a consideration given by the powers that be to those numbers to account for the obstacles. My examples would be EF0060xxR, EF011xxR, EF012xxR.....those alone amount to over 5000 licenses. That is enough to satisfy all complainers on facebook and the three most popular forums and get them out hunting and not starting a computer riot. I would place a small wager that there will still be some of these leftover come December. I am out of A and Bs, and I woudl imagine a lot of folks probably are as well. So, either allowing more Bs, or lowering the price would get all the tags sold. Even if they went from $500NR to $200NR after a certain point in time, that is more money than not selling them, and still hundreds of thousands of dollars.

yah the crazy thing is a lot of those land owners are begging people to come shoot cows later in the year. If you talk to any DWM in the low country you know how much time they spend dealing with wildlife damage in the winter. It would seem they would want to sell more cow tags. the PLO tags in particular are the ones that should not cost 500 in my opinion. Oh well.. hate that i am the whiner on here. I am pretty stoked to be going hunting soon. I will be there a month from today buying my over the counter archery tag and will be glad to spend the money. would love the chance to go back in November and pick up a cow if I am unsuccessful (likely scenario) In september. I will be tapped out of money so the $500 just wont be an option.

anyway...have a great season everyone....we are so damn close i can feel it.

hunt hard....

chindits

WKR
Not sure about where you are talking about Hdog, but none of the PLO complaining about elk damage matters if they aren't letting folks hunt their property. We have a lot of trophy ranches around here that don't even let their ranch managers hunt the property. Meanwhile the working ranch next door complains about their haystacks and fences, but even they will only let a few select folk hunt their property.

ckleeves

WKR
yah the crazy thing is a lot of those land owners are begging people to come shoot cows later in the year.....

They are? What ranch is this taking place at? They only ranches that are begging people to come shoot cows are the ones charging 1500.00 for a cow hunt.

If there was a landowner who had elk on his property late season and wanted them gone and there was still tags available it wouldn’t take long for word to spread like wildfire. Let 5 people hunt and tell them they are welcome to bring their friends and come back and 25 people would be there within a few days. No joke. Then the elk would simply move to the next property that doesn’t allow hunting and spend the next few months there.

It isn’t the price of tags that’s keeping those hunt codes from selling out.

sndmn11

WKR
They are? What ranch is this taking place at? They only ranches that are begging people to come shoot cows are the ones charging 1500.00 for a cow hunt.

If there was a landowner who had elk on his property late season and wanted them gone and there was still tags available it wouldn’t take long for word to spread like wildfire. Let 5 people hunt and tell them they are welcome to bring their friends and come back and 25 people would be there within a few days. No joke. Then the elk would simply move to the next property that doesn’t allow hunting and spend the next few months there.

It isn’t the price of tags that’s keeping those hunt codes from selling out.

I'm glad some other folks responded to that one. Shoot, there are list C tags that have been going on all summer where they want $5k+....for a "depredation" hunt.

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
So what do you all think about this coming Tuesday morning at 9.

Since this year anyone - resident and non - can get on line at home or be at a dealer it seems like there are going to be an awful lot of folks hitting the "send" button right at 9:00.

Will the whole system crash?
Is it going to be better to be at a tag dealer or be at home on your own computer?

Fatcamp

WKR
Curious as well. It opens at 9am mountain and everyone tries to submit an app at the same time?

I think I remember people complaining last year that the good tags were taken by the dealers before anyone really had a chance. Is that accurate?

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as well. It opens at 9am mountain and everyone tries to submit an app at the same time?

I think I remember people complaining last year that the good tags were taken by the dealers before anyone really had a chance. Is that accurate?

Not true in my experience. the last two years I was in front of the local hardware store by 5:30 and first or second in line. Since they have two machines I was first on at 9 am each year and able to get the tags I wanted - both 5 pt tags. Others there got the tags they wanted as well if they were the first 3 on the machine. after that ( 9:15 ) the most wanted tags were gone.

vanish

WKR
Slight advantage to being in person, as you can have the code entered prior to 9am, which you can't do online. However, you've got to be the first one at the machine for it to make a difference.

Fatcamp

WKR
So these machines you guys refer to, they are like an ATM?
Punch in your data and it gives you prizes?
They are in sporting goods stores? No employee involved?

OP
johnhenry

johnhenry

Lil-Rokslider
Slight advantage to being in person, as you can have the code entered prior to 9am, which you can't do online. However, you've got to be the first one at the machine for it to make a difference.

That is what I was thinking.
Plus you have to go through several pages and hit OK or Accept or Pay before it sends the request.
Guess I'm getting up early tomorrow and going downtown. If someone is already in line then back to bed till 8!

ericF

WKR
So these machines you guys refer to, they are like an ATM?
Punch in your data and it gives you prizes?
They are in sporting goods stores? No employee involved?

Nope, these are the kiosks at sporting good stores or anyplace that sells licenses like Walmart. You still have to have an employee enter all of your information for you and do everything on the machine. As others have said, you have a slight benefit if you are at a machine because as soon as they hit send, if the hunt code is available it is taken and removed from the list. Online, you have to go through the whole process to checkout and having a hunt in your cart doesn't protect it. The downside of the kiosk is that you have to be first, and if you don't get the first choice, it usually takes the employee a while to go back and do other choices.