Do calls work?

• Yes

• Yes, but only during the rut

• No

• No and they actually spook the deer

Results are only viewable after voting.
OP
Lou (Louis)
Probably a really dumb question, but the one that I am considering doesn't specify blacktail--will it work on any deer species?

2rocky

WKR
I have not met anyone who uses calls on any other species than WT. With the exception of some Alaska Hunters for Sitka BT.

I'm about 50/50 on rattling working and blowing out deer. Mostly depends on if a buck is looking for a fight or trying to keep the doe or does he has sequestered. The latter will run if they hear anything that suggests the possibility of another buck in the area.

I have not met anyone who uses calls on any other species than WT. With the exception of some Alaska Hunters for Sitka BT.

I'm about 50/50 on rattling working and blowing out deer. Mostly depends on if a buck is looking for a fight or trying to keep the doe or does he has sequestered. The latter will run if they hear anything that suggests the possibility of another buck in the area.

I rattled a Western Oregon blacktail in last year, 3rd week of November. I know many people who have called lower 48 black tail deer in using an assortment of doe bleats, buck grunts, rattling.

OP
Lou (Louis)
I rattled a Western Oregon blacktail in last year, 3rd week of November. I know many people who have called lower 48 black tail deer in using an assortment of doe bleats, buck grunts, rattling.
Does it seem to work only during the rut, sir?

I've rattled in one blacktail mid-November, where I saw him cruising past in thick woods and hit the antlers to bring him back. Turned on a dime from about 100yds and came in to look for us.

Done a lot of blind rattling with zero success. I think it all just depends on being in earshot of a buck, and that buck being in the right mood to respond. Plenty of bucks will ignore it or actively avoid it.

THBailey

FNG
I had some success during A zone rifle with a "K'Meer Deer". Not sure they are made any more. Called in a few does and a couple of times a buck on the side of the next hill stuck its head up and looked my way. Never any luck rattling antlers or trying grunts.

Blacktail calls work very well, sometimes far TOO well. It's what we used for the 12 years I lived on Kodiak, and I use them in S.W. Washington as well.
However, just know that a few doe bleats, followed by a 5 minute set of fawn in distress, will call every bear, and cougar that hears it as well. No big deal here in S.W. Washington...it can create a BIG (and brown) situation just about everywhere on Kodiak. I know that for a FACT!