Drop the 1,500 ft.lbs myth

Y'all wild. By the time I was 16, I'd killed 25 whitetails with 22lr cci stingers. 32 gr.
Just looked it up. 119 pounds energy at 50 yards. No different than shooting a coon between the eyes.
Run whatcha brung and have fun.

I think the reason this continues to pop up is one group of guys is relying on essentially slicing up an animal to create massive blood loss, similar to a bow & arrow which definitely doesn't have 1500 foot pounds...while another group of guys is relying on a big temporary wound channel that disrupts the nervous system to create this shock and aww performance

I'm not gona say which is better but I think it's important to know where each side is coming from

Velocity dictates bullet expansion, bullet expanison creates wound channels, large wound channels thru vitals kill animals. Work within the velocity range that your specific bullet reliably expands in and amimals will die regardless of the ft/lbs of energy the bullet has. Bullet manufacturers know it which is why bullets have a minimum VELOCITY for bullet expansion not an energy measurement, just like all the pictures of bullets on ammo boxes at various stages of expansion have a velocity measurement next to the picture, not an energy measurement.

Y'all wild. By the time I was 16, I'd killed 25 whitetails with 22lr cci stingers. 32 gr.
Just looked it up. 119 pounds energy at 50 yards. No different than shooting a coon between the eyes.
Run whatcha brung and have fun.
My grandparents used to use a .22lr for blacktail in the garden. They drop like a sack of potatoes.

I’ve killed elk with a .300 savage in a lever action, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a 30-30 under the right circumstances.

Back