Does the 6.5 PRC have enough ass?

Why is everyone putting a new member down because he asked a simple question about a cartridge?
Be nice and answer the question. No reason to lecture someone because you think your way is better.
Probably because people don't like the idea of brand new hunters gut shooting elk at 700 yards.

I think there are some valid reasons for the responses.

Plenty of people wound elk. When the question is "how far away can I be" from a brand new hunter it stirs a little up in people.

Probably because people don't like the idea of brand new hunters gut shooting elk at 700 yards.

I think there are some valid reasons for the responses.

Plenty of people wound elk. When the question is "how far away can I be" from a brand new hunter it stirs a little up in people.
You all assumed he was instantly gonna go to 700 and gut shoot elk.
You all just assumed the worst.

Did it occur to ya that may the cost of a quality rifle is hard for him to come up with?
He just wanted to make an informed decision on a cartridge to grow into?

And telling him to do some learning and practice is totally different the telling people not to do it because you don't like it and you don't consider it hunting.
When I first read the OP I could tell he was new and needed to learn but my first reaction wasn't to go Karen and try to shame him.
You all should be embarrassed.

You all assumed he was instantly gonna go to 700 and gut shoot elk.
You all just assumed the worst.

Did it occur to ya that may the cost of a quality rifle is hard for him to come up with?
He just wanted to make an informed decision on a cartridge to grow into?

And telling him to do some learning and practice is totally different the telling people not to do it because you don't like it and you don't consider it hunting.
When I first read the OP I could tell he was new and needed to learn but my first reaction wasn't to go Karen and try to shame him.
You all should be embarrassed.
I never said I don't consider it hunting.

I actually don't think the question is dumb. I think the fact that as soon as a bunch people said, "slow down bud, shooting that far isn't a good idea on your first live animal," it was dumb that he countered by saying he shoots a .223 and rings steel so he is fine.

I absolutely assume someone who says he is brand new to hunting and immediately asks if he is limiting himself by only being able to shoot 700 yards at an 800 pound animal then defends his position that he should be able to despite caution from the people he asked in the first place is dumb enough to try.

I'm not embarrassed.

It is embarrassing that we are at a point where kills are so important that the idea of wounding an animal isn't a big deal to some.

Calle old school, or whatever, but I think it should be avoided. I've wounded game before. I'm not immune. But this guy is just asking for it.

You seem to be the only one who thinks this is a good idea for him to try, but I'm not sure because I didn't read past the second page. By then I'd thrown up in my mouth a little bit already.

Rifle hunters have been shooting long way before turrets or YouTube. We can educate without being condescending.

To the OP, the 6.5 PRC has lots of ass. I’ve shot elk at 906, 715, 705 and 80 yards with 147 ELD-M. Get the rifle, get to a range and start practicing. Find a mentor or pay some money for quality training. The end goal is to know your limitations in a variety of conditions.

Last edited:
I never said I don't consider it hunting.

I actually don't think the question is dumb. I think the fact that as soon as a bunch people said, "slow down bud, shooting that far isn't a good idea on your first live animal," it was dumb that he countered by saying he shoots a .223 and rings steel so he is fine.

I absolutely assume someone who says he is brand new to hunting and immediately asks if he is limiting himself by only being able to shoot 700 yards at an 800 pound animal then defends his position that he should be able to despite caution from the people he asked in the first place is dumb enough to try.

I'm not embarrassed.

It is embarrassing that we are at a point where kills are so important that the idea of wounding an animal isn't a big deal to some.

Calle old school, or whatever, but I think it should be avoided. I've wounded game before. I'm not immune. But this guy is just asking for it.

You seem to be the only one who thinks this is a good idea for him to try, but I'm not sure because I didn't read past the second page. By then I'd thrown up in my mouth a little bit already.
The op is talking about a hunt next year.
And making sure a 6.5 prc is adequate.
He does not state anything about immediately taking it out on game.
I never said it was a good idea to immediately take it out on game.
But I think it is probably a good idea to buy a cartridge capable enough to grow into.

Besides recoil and the cost of ammo what is the point of buying a cartridge to small ?
Sure you would grow your shooting skill.
But then you would have to buy another rifle.

All he asked was it the 6.5 prc was capable of being lethal at 700

What of he had indicated a ton of experience and credentials in the OP but a lack of knowledge on the caliber?
Would he of gotten a straight answer?

And please show me where I said it was a good idea for him to start blasting away at game?

I do think its ok to ask about a cartridge.

I shoot a 6.5 prc with 156 bergers and 143 eldx. For me, 700 yards would be the maximum I would shoot at big game (deer, antelope). I am consistently hunting in terrain that requires long distance shooting. I choose to hunt with a larger caliber for elk at all distances. Thats another conversation....and there are hundreds of posts on that subject.

Wind drift with these bullets are an important factor for me. Just about any bullet with correct shot placement will kill. The issue is shot placement in even a small amount of wind.

I briefly read through the posts. For me, 700 yards and beyond, experience and equipment are key.

Is your rifle/scope/ammo capable of 1 moa groups...2 moa groups....etc.

Do you have a range finder that will accurately reach out to 700 yards and are you accurately ranging an animal. Ranging over an elks back could be cost you 7" plus. Combined with a rifle that is shooting 1 moa groups (not factoring shooter capable) you are at 14" in perfect conditions. Throw in an animal grazing and moving 25 yards while you are making adjustments etc. Everything happens in seconds.

Scope ... magnification ... turrets ..... dope. Can your scope get you out to 700 yards. Also, It is easy on paper and hitting metal, but in the field with an adrenaline rush can cause errors. Especially with limited hunting and target experience.

Reading wind and environment.....kestrel....or field experience....both difficult.

All of this combined and one twitch, maybe a little parallax, or rifle is canted and you have a miss or a gut shot. Shooting closer at 200-300 yards reduces the variables substantially. There are a lot of calculations that come into play shooting at 714 yards with a 3 mpg cross wind etc. Time always seems to be limited. I am rarely lucky enough to have an animal stand still and broadside for me.

A lot of people will suggest and have experience killing elk with a 6.5 prc, short and long distance (700 yards etc.) On paper the 6.5 prc will kill. I believe it when people say they have killed at 700 yards with a 6.5 PRC. For me, I have personally seen too many bull elk take well placed 250 to 300 grain bullets over the years. Sometimes they don't run far.....sometimes they are dead and don't know it and run a few hundred yards. For this primary reason, I prefer a larger caliber for elk at all distances.

There is so much involved in shooting long range, cold bore shots in a hunting scenario. Comparing it to shooting 12” steel at 800 yards off a bench is apples to oranges. I’ve been in the Army for 13 years and in that time I’ve done some long range shooting in some really bad places, under pretty extreme environmental conditions. The biggest issue you will run into is the wind. From 0-700 meters you could have multiple crosswinds of varying speeds, not to mention the vertical effect that winds in the mountains can have. Do you know how to make a wind call in that situation? If not then I wouldn’t even consider taking a shot at that distance….or probably even half that.

Being new to western hunts, you’ve probably heard it’s all super long range. While that CAN be true, you’ll find that getting closer, much closer isn’t that difficult. Most important thing is to play the wind. If you spot a bull at 700 yards, keep eyes on him and let him go to bed. Then plan a stalk to get within 300. Not doubting your abilities, but that high stress magnifies any flaws. There’s a lot of possible wind differences between you and 700 out. Thermals, crosswinds, up/down drafts, etc. Take your time and if he doesn’t know you are there, you can do a lot more hunting and less shooting.

Personally, I've never shot the 6.5 PRC. I own a Creedmore, but wouldn't ever use it on an elk. I've heard that the PRC is a far more capable rifle and from the posts in here, sounds like a good cartridge for your purpose.
My personal elk rifles which I go back and forth on are the 300 PRC and the good old 7mag but prefer to bowhunt. If an arrow can kill going 280fps, then your rifle will definitely do the job. Put two holes in it's lungs and it's going to go down.

I'm kind of the outlier as I really like the thump of a rifle on my shoulder but if recoil causes bad reaction, you are smart to look elsewhere.

Good luck out there.

Last edited:
The 6.5 PRC will do the job if you do yours. More important than the cartridge is the bullet on it. Not just the bullet that holds the best groups but the bullet that performs at 50 yards and the max range you set. Bullet performance is so huge a variable in this equation. Quality bullets and shoot a lot. The 6.5 is awesome, I love mine and it shoots great. Kills what you hit in the vitals. Of course so does my bow.

I do recommend shooting hunting situations. Bipods, packs, up against trees or standing those are huge. A light rifle is different than the bench. Practice and you will be fine with the 6.5.

In 4 elk hunts, all diy on otc or zero point tags, across 3 states, with no elk hunting mentor, my closest encounter on each hunt has been:
70 yards
22 yards
8 yards
12 yards

There have been more elk sightings from 100-400 yards than from 400-700. And of course, many sightings 700-2000+ looking across big drainages. So there definitely is truth to the idea that you can get closer. However, just because you can get closer does not mean you shouldn't strive to be effective further out. You never know what opportunities might present themselves, especially if you've never done an elk hunt before.

The op is talking about a hunt next year.
And making sure a 6.5 prc is adequate.
He does not state anything about immediately taking it out on game.
I never said it was a good idea to immediately take it out on game.
But I think it is probably a good idea to buy a cartridge capable enough to grow into.

Besides recoil and the cost of ammo what is the point of buying a cartridge to small ?
Sure you would grow your shooting skill.
But then you would have to buy another rifle.

All he asked was it the 6.5 prc was capable of being lethal at 700

What of he had indicated a ton of experience and credentials in the OP but a lack of knowledge on the caliber?
Would he of gotten a straight answer?

And please show me where I said it was a good idea for him to start blasting away at game?

I do think its ok to ask about a cartridge.
Great.

And I do think it's ok for people to scrutinize and give honest answers to someone seeking to find the furthest he can shoot an elk as a brand new hunter.

When you told everyone they should be embarrassed for telling him it was a bad idea to start blasting away at game.
Alot of members were down rite rude in this thread imo.
And the boomers that say long range isn't hunting is not helpful at all.

The tone of monst of the replies were not helpful.
Most were trying to shame him.

I went back to the first page and I did not read anything from the OP that said he was planning on blasting away at game.

You all added that.

Unless I missed something he asked if the cartridge was capable.

Was there a post that the OP said he was gonna buy it, take the fps off the box and start flinging at game?

Again from what I read a bunch of members read into what he asked, put there own spin on it and started being condescending.

I know what helps me be a better shooter is when people jump my shit and tell me I shouldn't do it. That is always the most helpful way.

Cartridges are generally not the factor holding a shooter back. Skill is. i have only killed one elk in my fifth year of trying. It was over 700 yards it was with a 6.5 cm with 143 eldx took top of heart off excited far side took four steps and rolled down a hill into a hell hole. I had thousands of rounds through it shooting comps and lugging a 14 pound rifle around in the mountains for 5 years.

Sometimes I really cringe at what technology has lead people to believe it's easily achievable.

The 6.5, and many other calibers, are sufficient at 700 but 99% of shooters, even with a decent amount of practice, are not. It takes a special commitment, and a place to practice at long distance, to really be good beyond even 400 yards. To the OP, maybe you are capable and committed enough but your initial post didn't suggest that. Good luck
Even many of the people who have killed ( and recovered the animal) at " long range". Won't admit the missus, and wounding losses. ( which many don't even know if they hit the animal, if it don't drop right on the spot.) Not sure why the hunting aspect has disappeared from hunting, and it's become a long range competition. ( laziness, is my suspition) Or try to kill it, no matter what it takes attitude. Crazy, it's evidence that this is being " taught" to people just entering the hunting sports, and getting close and making a humane kill should be first.

The 6.5 prc is capable of killing elk at long range, the problem typically falls with the shooter, and if he has enough practice to gain muscle memory in his shooting form for long range hunting when shooting from adverse positions when the shit hits the fan and your adrenaline is up.

Humanity always finds a way to reveal itself in threads like these, sadly.
As the wise man said, “there is nothing new under the sun.”
I had a suspicion this thread was going to go off the rails from the get-go, and sadly, I was not wrong.
It reminds me of Forums that I participated in in the late 80s and in the 90s that remotely talked about hunting game beyond a maximum point blank range.
Sometimes we wonder, why people don’t post more often?
One of the answers is obvious.
Forum members on multiple sides of this question can’t seem to treat the OP or each other with decency.
I would like to encourage those men and women who have experience in the area that a thread is asking about, when you have the time, that you will contact that newer member, or answer that question via a private message, or even by other means.
It will avoid confusion of all the mixed/conflicting information and drama that has happened in this single thread.

Sometimes people who post, do not do the best job of expressing their question. Since, we cannot see them, hear their tone of voice, or their body language, it makes it more difficult for us to understand what they’re asking about.
The intention of this post, is not to dissuade the angry men here.
You will have that no matter what.
It is a free forum, and people can express their opinions.
Some of those people who expressed their opinions, are jerks.
We will always have them.
Most of the time if you met them at a gun store or out in the field, they would be really nice people, other times, they would still be just jerks.

My post here is for the people that really want to help and encourage other shooters and hunters. Don’t let yourself become emotionally involved in discussions like some have done here.
You end up lowering yourself.
We have all taken the bait from time to time.
It never changes things, and it never helps the people that we want to help.
I have spoken with @Jjustus16
He’s a nice guy, and someone that is dedicated to becoming a better Shooter and Hunter.

Last edited:
Why is everyone putting a new member down because he asked a simple question about a cartridge?
Be nice and answer the question. No reason to lecture someone because you think your way is better.

This isn’t really an accurate description of what the OP asked. He asked about the cartridge AND limits to effective range while hunting elk.

Most of the comments gave advice on both topics.

Ethics are personal. If you are legal, you have to find YOUR ethical limit. There is specific range limit for ethical hunting. My limit is closer than [mention]Ryan Avery [/mention] ‘s. I shoot a lot. He shoots A LOT more than me.

Boil down the advice, and you come to this:

1. YES, the cartridge is capable.

2. Practice … and find out YOUR limits, and don’t exceed them.

Good advice for the OP’s question, IMO.

Back