Dual Grind vs Single Grind

Would you rather buy a dual grind meat grinder or spend similar money on a single grind at the next HP up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single grind here. Nice to add fat in the middle or keep grinds larger which help me for burger patty’s. I like finer grind second pass for tacos, spaghetti, and the like.

I prefer double grind for everything. I pregrind beef fat course and freeze it. Add it to the unground meat then grind course then fine. For sausage I precut pork fat or pork trim into smaller pieces then add to the unground meat and season. Then grind twice and at least 3-4 times for SS or snack sticks.

BBob

WKR
I think he's asking about the dual grind machines like the LEM Dual Grind Big Bite that have two plates running inside at the same time. I've wondered about them myself. In the #22 1 HP size it adds a $130 premium to the cost for the dual grind over the single.

LEM Dual Grind.JPG

rbljack

WKR
I am considering a Dual Grind unit s well. Look forward to hearing what others have to say after using one. I like making a lot of sausage from Wild hogs, and its always a rough grind followed by a second grind to get everything finished off, mixed, etc.

FYI...the Meat your Maker site has a 30 percent off sale running and they have the #22 Dual grind on sale

Last edited:

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
I prefer to grind twice. Once with coarse plate then with the finer plate. IMO this helps distribute the fat which we add (15%).

Same for sausage when I use pork butts. Grinding twice helps mix up the spices.

Read1t48

WKR
My process..

LEM dual grind. Big Bite #8. Did 165lbs of elk from start to finish in under 3 hours. I do a 10% beef suet mix. I freeze whole muscle and trimmings in 7-8lb bags. Wait till the end of hunting season to thaw bags and grind all the critters. Pre measure suet for 10% yield. Add suet pieces as I grind each bag and put 2 bags (14-16lbs) in hand mixer. Gets all the fat evenly distributed. Takes no time. Then vac pac in 2lb packages.

The chamber vac takes longer than the grind with a 45 second cycle time. Something bigger than a #8 would go faster but it would put me further behind on the vac. And I prefer the #8 because I can inspect the meat one last time for any hairs or contaminates.

For a #8, 165lbs in less than 3 hours is good enough for me. I have been super pleased with dual grind.

Meat wasn't making a duel grind when I bought my grinder. And the lem was double the cost.

I think a #22 neck is the size to go with.
My #32 double ground 42 lbs of elk meat in 25 minutes last year.
Not really sure how I would mix the fat in with a double grinder. As I grind each separately and mix it in on the 2nd pass.
But it i thought it reasonable I would sell my 32 and buy a 22 double grind.
The 32 ate the 42 lbs on 1st pass in 4.5 minutes. So getting it thru on the 2nd pass is much more difficult and messy.

Meat wasn't making a duel grind when I bought my grinder. And the lem was double the cost.

I think a #22 neck is the size to go with.
My #32 double ground 42 lbs of elk meat in 25 minutes last year.
Not really sure how I would mix the fat in with a double grinder. As I grind each separately and mix it in on the 2nd pass.
But it i thought it reasonable I would sell my 32 and buy a 22 double grind.
The 32 ate the 42 lbs on 1st pass in 4.5 minutes. So getting it thru on the 2nd pass is much more difficult and messy.

This is my same experience, even for the timed grind for the 1st grind. I think 22 is probably "ideal" and its what I wanted to buy, but MYM didn't have a #22 at the time I bought.

I would also think that with the dual grind, you'd want to be running a lot more ice through it because of the extra heat generated with the 2nd grind

This is my same experience, even for the timed grind for the 1st grind. I think 22 is probably "ideal" and its what I wanted to buy, but MYM didn't have a #22 at the time I bought.

I would also think that with the dual grind, you'd want to be running a lot more ice through it because of the extra heat generated with the 2nd grind
I think maybe a #22 dual grind and a mixer to mix the fat in?

Idk I've never used a mixer.

Lytro

WKR
It all depends on what you prefer for grind coarseness and if you make a lot of sausages, snack sticks, add fat, etc. I single grind all my burger with the largest plate I have and don't add any fat. Cooked texture is about the same as store bought beef. I do add fat and double grind when I make sausage links and snack sticks.

I process 4-8 deer and and usually an elk every year, so typically well over 100+ lbs ground. I do it with a $70 grinder I bought on Amazon 10 years ago - a 1000w Sunbeam or something stupid. I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine with whatever you buy. I'd personally rather buy a single grind 1/2 hp unit and put the rest of my money to better use or other useful equipment. Ground meat is ground meat.

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
It all depends on what you prefer for grind coarseness and if you make a lot of sausages, snack sticks, add fat, etc. I single grind all my burger with the largest plate I have and don't add any fat. Cooked texture is about the same as store bought beef. I do add fat and double grind when I make sausage links and snack sticks.

I process 4-8 deer and and usually an elk every year, so typically well over 100+ lbs ground. I do it with a $70 grinder I bought on Amazon 10 years ago - a 1000w Sunbeam or something stupid. I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine with whatever you buy. I'd personally rather buy a single grind 1/2 hp unit and put the rest of my money to better use or other useful equipment. Ground meat is ground meat.
How in the world do you get coarse ground meat to hold together with no fat?

Lytro

WKR
How in the world do you get coarse ground meat to hold together with no fat?
I use egg (and sometimes breadcrumb if needed) as a binder when I make burger patties or meatballs with straight wild game. A lot of times we'll mix ground venison and beef 50/50 for those since the in-laws usually get rid of a lot of their ground beef when they buy a half.

Most of our ground just gets browned in a skillet. My wife meal preps lunches with it, so she uses about 3 lbs every week just for that.

MIbowhunter4954

Lil-Rokslider

I think it's the opposite. Yes, there's two plates generating heat, but your overall run time is cut in half (or less).

fishslap

WKR
I have the LEM previous version of the dual grind attachment. It is better than grinding twice for sure. When I used to do two passes, the grinder head and meat would heat up too much unless I cleaned everything and did a re chill on the grinder head and meat (mainly the ground meat). With dual grind, you’re pushing chilled meat through once.
You do need to dice your fat fairly small and mix it in evenly since you can no longer mix it around again between passes if you have some uneven fat distribution. I use 12% pure pork leaf and/or back fat from local farmers.
The fat is what causes part of the issue on passing it through twice since it can start to soften and gum things up. I used to not add fat for a long time but we switched and our burgers and meat loaf are incredible. If you don’t add fat, dual grind vs two passes might be slightly less of an issue.
Lastly, I think LEM is discontinuing their original dual grind attachment and now they have a kit to retrofit your existing grinder head to dual grind. I bought one but haven’t used it yet. I might be selling my original #8/#12 dual grind.
IMG_8256.jpeg

rbljack

WKR
Im really leaning towards a #22 dual grind grinder. I've been running a #8 single grinder for many years. I kinda wish I took advantage of the sale Meat your Maker ran over thanksgiving now. I just ground 25 pounds of wild hog/pork butt into sausage tonight using my my grinder. The first run thru always goes fast, but the second time thru is what takes the time. I have to use the push stick/plunger on the second run thru. The first one doesn't need it hardly at all.

I attempted to go single grind this time and compare the texture. We did a taste test to be sure....It was easily identifiable single vs double grind. The texture was just better (IMO) on the meat ground twice.

Im thinking I could probably save a lot of time using the dual grind, and buy the 2" tube to attach on the output. Using that set up, I could get the meat ground in 1 pass vs two, AND get the meat into the meat bags, all in one pass and hopefully wont need to use the meat plunger much.

Anybody tried this method?

WOW...I Just discovered the LEM #32 now has an adapter to turn it into a dual grind system as well. Expensive, but im guessing this would be a huge timesaver, and have the power to get it done!

Last edited: