Dual Grind vs Single Grind

Snowwolfe

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting how people prefer different grinds. We tried frying up burgers from meat that was ground with just a coarse plate and didn’t care for the chewy chunks. Also tried grinding once with the small plate but wasn’t happy with the fat distribution (we add 15% beef or pork fat). Mixing by hand to distribute the fat can make the texture funny.
Our tried and trued method is still once with coarse and once with fine.
I still don’t understand how some of you don’t add fat and have a burger hold together while frying it.

Last edited:

buffybr

FNG
This thread is the first time that I have seen the LEM double grind grinder. I don't think that I'll rush out and buy one.

I've always ground my burger twice. The first grind is with a coarse grind plate, and I drop one chunk of fat with every 4 or 5 chunks of meat. When that's done I re-grind everything with a smaller plate.

My first elk hunt when I was in college, 5 of us shot 4 elk, and we twice ground all of the burger from those 4 animals with a small hand grinder.

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
I do a coarse grind, usually 3/8” or 1/4”, then a finer grind through a 3/16” plate. I’ve done both grinds through 3/16”, too, but ends up being a bit mushier than I’d prefer.

Migrator

FNG
Another vote for a #22 dual grind. I have the Meat brand and love it. We got 7 hogs a few weeks back, and 95% of them went to grind. I debone, cut into grind-size pieces, and either grind in bulk or freeze in 4# bags (see below). It's a pain to have to run a big volume through twice and I've found the dual grind plates to be same texture as running through twice and switching plates in my old cheapo. It takes long enough to get through that much meat while balancing life -- no need to make it take longer.

I got the 4# bag trick from a cookbook and do it with all the meat I intend to grind, but may not have time. When it's time for sausage it's easier to do 5# recipes (which is all my kitchenaid mixer can handle anyway) by just adding 1# of fat to the 4# bags. The bonus is gallon food saver bags lay flat and stack well in my freezer.