end all pair of binoculars

OP
E
Just curious, how did you settle on 10x being what you want for your type of hunting?[/QUOTE

good question. I guess because 10's are what ive used in the past and ive never ever though I wanted less power. at times wished for more power. I hunt blackail in northern CA and they usually bed in nasty stuff all day. Many times I've gone over the same spot with my glass back and forth and just could not see the deer there until they moved a little. I'm hoping to really be able to see the fine details while glassing

B.S.

FNG
I went through the same debate earlier this year, ended up with the 10x42 ELs, for me I liked the Ergos and image better. Can't go wrong with either, biggest differences are the Flat image of the ELs (not everyone likes this) and the ergonomics.

NMhunter92

Lil-Rokslider
I was in this situation last year. I decided to go with the new SLC 10x42 and they are awesome. No regrets.

bcimport

WKR
I have had swaro and vortex razors for both bino's and spotters. I really like my 12x50 razors and sold the swaro bino's and don't feel like I lost enough in clarity to worry about. The extra grand can be put to use elsewhere. Cameralandny demos save a fair bit of money too.

OP
E
really wanting a range finding bino, so i think the el range is in first place. Last generation models are cheaper than a new pair of plain el swarovisions. I really like the idea of being able to instantly range anything I'm looking at. Being a rifle hunter it makes too much sense.

Ive had the swarovski 8x30 and 10 x 42 scl , both great binoculars, i picked up a pair of 8 x 32 Leica trinovid's ba's and for the quality and weight and size they are my favorite , Ive been using them now for about 10 years. if you can find an excellent used pair i would highly recommend them , they are a great glass and great all round pair of binoculars , in my opinion one of the best ever made.

I bought a pair of Swarovski EL 10x42 about 15 years ago and never looked back. Back then they cost $1400. I take them everywhere and they have never let me down. I did replace the rubber eye cups a couple of years ago, $40 and easy to change out.

Mike

WKR
Is there really an "end all" piece of gear? Technology advances... My Maven's are significantly better than my buddy's 8 year old Swaro's which were top of the line at that time. Coatings and glass have both become significantly better in that timeframe. In another 8 years will things be significantly better again? I like the idea of never needing to replace something like high end bino's but I'm not sure that it's realistic (especially to people who are on RS). Just a thought...

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I was in the same position when I went for the Swaro 10x42 El's. I used them year round and then had the opportunity to trade them in on the 10x42 El Range and have never regretted it.

kodiakfly

WKR
End all? I bought a pair of 10x42 Leicas 19 years ago and I'm still impressed with their quality and how they look.

The day a manufacture comes up with essentially the combination of sig 2400, kestrel 5500, and alpha glass all backed by a good warranty. Oh man....

You'll be happy with the el ranges. I'd be tempted to offer you lowball amount for your old bino's. I need a beater set for an upcoming Asia trip.

1signguy

WKR
I have been using 15x56 SLC's and absolutely love them- couldn't imagine anything else. 10x are great for still hunting but for tripod work the 15's shine.
However, the BTX and a 65 lens could be a game changer. If it is I will use some 8x30's along with the BTX and have it covered!

Steve C

Lil-Rokslider
Shrek was talking about a phenomena called rolling ball. here is a link 404 Not Found. There is about 30% of-viewers susceptible to this. If you have the idea of plunking down the $$'s for an SV EL better take some time with one. The RB is a side effect of the flat field. The reason binoculars typically have some edge distortion is to break the RB up. It is an effect of the magnified movement from the edges of the field. As new image either comes into or leaves the field, we are dependent on either distortion in our own eyes or the edges of the binocular to break the speed up of the image. When our eyes can't do it, the images tend to dive in toward the center of the view on one side and speed away from the center on the other side. Motion sickness feeling.

I won't argue with anyone saying the SV EL is great glass,but if you are like me, susceptible to the RB effect, trust me, they will be worthless. I went through the 8.5 and 10x 42 SV and the 10x50 SV I have a Maven B2 because the SLC could not put it away, closer to the other way around.

When you get to the upper tier of glass, you are the only one who can spend your money. If you get your hands on an SV EL and the world looks normal when you pan the glass, go for it. If you like the Swarovski brand, the SLC may be your huckleberry. Quite a bit less than the SV to boot. Otherwise look at a Zeiss SF or HT or a Leica, either the Ultravid or the Noctovid

The B2 is 99% of the SV both build and optics for less than half the $$'s Try one or not, but you may cry more than once if you don't.

I used Swaro 10x50 EL for a couple of years.

Bought a pair of 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B (2200) binoculars with built in range finder and ballistics program. Sold my Swaros, as the Leicas are every bit as good optically, and have the added benefit of a rangefinder and ballistics program.

I have a very light Zeiss compact pair for scouting before the hunting season.

Can't see myself ever needing anything else.