exo mountain pack

Hey guys, I'm interested to hear from those that have a few miles on these packs already. Particularly from tall guys.
I'm 6'6", 260lb, so I'd be interested to hear reviews from any similar sized gorillas who've tested their pack.
I'm thinking of purchasing a 5500, but I'm in Sydney, Oz, so can't inspect one, plus your dollar is higher than ours again so its a big commitment.
I'm interested in fit and comfort on a ling, large torso. Plus effectiveness of load lifter straps when the pack is at full stretch on a tall bloke.
Cheers

Last edited:
I do not know about torso length but waist size on big guys will be an issue. Exo's large belt is only a hair bigger than a Kifaru medium. I am every bit a 38" waist and I feel that's the max. I definitely will not be able to tighten the belt with winter clothing on. Every Kifaru pack I have owned I always asked for a little longer on the belt webbing. I may need to try and get a bigger belt or get sick for 3-4 weeks and not eat.

I do not know about torso length but waist size on big guys will be an issue. Exo's large belt is only a hair bigger than a Kifaru medium. I am every bit a 38" waist and I feel that's the max. I definitely will not be able to tighten the belt with winter clothing on. Every Kifaru pack I have owned I always asked for a little longer on the belt webbing. I may need to try and get a bigger belt or get sick for 3-4 weeks and not eat.

I'm still waiting on my pack but this info about the belt is a bit concerning. I wear a 38" pant , but they are lose on me. I'm probably more of a 37" waist but if I can't tighten the belt with winter gear on it will be a deal breaker and I will have to send it back. I do a lot of cold weather hunting and hiking.

Anyone else have input on the belt situation?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Also for me as Im a 40" Waist So you say at 38" it wont go much bigger? I may email Steve on this. That just doesnt sound right. as their large belts are size 37" + so they should go up to at least 44" that is the typical large belt size.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
You should be fine battleborn, its not like you are wearing arctic gear. I have a small belt and have a 32 inch waist and it would work up to a 36 inch. I am sure a large belt will fit you just fine. Hammer are you sure you have a large belt because I think my small would stretch to a 40 inch waist if needed?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a 36 inch waist and the large belt on my 3500 has lots of xtra length.

Great to hear Steve. Thanks for letting me know. I was a tad worried for a few there.

Come on Hammer............Stop freaking me out like that :D

If I were to wear my winter bibs and want to haul my stand or a blind. No way would I get this belt buckled and pulled tight. UNLESS I removed it out of the power pull loop for those extra inches. Once tight yes I have a good 5-6" of slack. But like the stated it is much smaller than a Kifaru Large belt. The Kifaru large ALMOST touches when i tighten it up. This belt does not come remotely close. In the end a diet would do me wonders!

I still LOVE the pack and frame. Just fits different on me compared to my Kifaru.

Thanks, im paid in full. Just waiting for delivery so I will find out either way.

Keep up the reviews guys. The wait is becoming tougher evertime I see positive feedback.

NVCHUKAR

WKR
Yes the belt is smaller but it seems to work really well for the pack. I am sure they could get you a larger one if really needed.

eltaco

WKR
Someone asked about how the pack can be loaded for day pack, so figured I'd share. I'm loaded up pretty light in this picture, only had spotter/tripod and water so I just used the two full length side pouches and tightened it up into essentially a bathing design. Worked out really well and carried well without any weight shifting. This pack really does seem to do it all very well, for me.
pepy7yqe.jpg

This pack has good ju ju.
pujuty7a.jpg

Last edited:

muleman

WKR
Someone asked about how the pack can be loaded for day pack, so figured I'd share. I'm loaded up pretty light in this picture, only had spotter/tripod and water so I just used the two full length side pouches and tightened it up into essentially a bathing design. Worked out really well and carried well without any weight shifting. This pack really does seem to do it all very well, for me.
pepy7yqe.jpg

This pack has good ju ju.
pujuty7a.jpg

Nice bull, pack doesn't look too bad either.

jwb300

WKR
Sounds like the jury is out on belt length?

Nice critter eltaco, is it elk? Definitely none of them in Oz!

I have one. I am led to believe the only one in Aus. But unfortunately for you it is a small belt. If your up in the Hunter Valley your welcome to call in and try it.

Cheers,
JWB300

I have one. I am led to believe the only one in Aus. But unfortunately for you it is a small belt. If your up in the Hunter Valley your welcome to call in and try it.

Cheers,
JWB300

Hi mate, what part of the Hunter are you in? I'm regularly on the Central Coast, I'd be interested in taking a look at it for sure.
I take it you have the 3500 bag?
Cheers

Tinbanger

FNG
I have a 3500 with a large belt, and a 38-40 waist. When loaded and tightened up, there is only 6" between the pads which I like. And there is almost a foot of webbing left on either side. I am guessing hammers belt isn't a large, maybe labeled wrong?

My waist is exactly the same size and I have NO MORE than 5-6" when pulled really tight? I would prefer another 5-6".

Tinbanger

FNG
Sorry I'm not sure if I was clear. There is only about 2" of webbing left from pad to buckle on each side, so about 6" from pad to pad. Does that make sense?