exo mountain pack

Vegeman

FNG
Sounds good, Steve.

I think I like the idea of solid titanium better - just to be safe (I know the 2015 hollow tubing will stand up to anything), but I don't mind extra weight if it means excess strength. Might just stick with the 2014 frame.

The no squeak part of it is very enticing, however - but again, its no biggie. I just hope EXO doesn't go down the route of Kuiu where there are new packs every year and the previous years keep going obsolete. (I love my EXO, though). :) Absolutely brilliant packs.

Last edited:

Bmcox86

WKR
I use a gun bearer modified slightly to hold my rifle. The side pocket held it up alittle to high and it was clipping trees

parshal

WKR
Sounds good, Steve.

I think I like the idea of solid titanium better - just to be safe (I know the 2015 hollow tubing will stand up to anything), but I don't mind extra weight if it means excess strength. Might just stick with the 2014 frame.

The no squeak part of it is very enticing, however - but again, its no biggie. I just hope EXO doesn't go down the route of Kuiu where there are new packs every year and the previous years keep going obsolete. (I love my EXO, though). :) Absolutely brilliant packs.

I kind of agree but I'd love to have the modified buckles that don't have those teeth on them. The toothed ones are tough to adjust.

Vegeman

FNG
Parshal, I agree.

I think there needs to be a custom-shop ! Dreaming aside, I think it would be a BRILLIANT idea if Exo could offer aftermarket parts which can be mixed and matched between their bags. It may not bring in a huge amount of $$ initially, but when word gets out...it will be something special for sure.

Hunters are a bunch of gear heads. They love to tinker. What is really missing on the market are hunting packs/packs which allow a lot of tinkering. Having to go out and buy the latest model pack every year simply gets very costly after a while. Either produce a product which will remain as it is or offer flexibility and the ability to exchange parts.

Its great that the new frames will be able to be retro-fitted to the 2014 bags.

Last edited:

DWinVA

WKR
I'm still not sure if I'll do it this way or just use the two compression straps. It's good to have options though.

What I'm talking about is using the beavertail versus the straps for carrying my bow.

God Bless.

Last edited:
I may have to try one of these in a 3500 out. I'm in the market and with this much interest in one pack they must be nice.
I do like the idea of the meat shelve area. makes a 2-3 day pack into a 4-5 dayer

This may have been covered already but this post is super long and getting a little hard to wade through. Do you guys that have the pack already think the 3500 is big enough for a week long trip or would the 5500 be a better bet?

good2eat

Lil-Rokslider
Though I don't own one yet, I've done enough reading to say some guys say the 3500 is plenty big for a week. I plan on getting the 3500 and if necessary using a duffle and carrying it between the frame and bag, as I would meat, to get sufficient supplies in for a longer hunt.

parshal

WKR
I had a 3500 and replaced it with the 5500. Guys packing light could get away with the 3500 but for the little extra weight the 5500 is better for me. You don't have to use the space if you don't need it.

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered the 5500. Curious what your guy's thoughts are on the meat shelf. Is it a necessary add-on? Debating whether or not I should e-mail back and ask them to add the shelf. I try to save as much weight as possible . I'm thinking I could probably strap meat to the frame just fine but wondering others thoughts who have packed meat with or without the shelf. Is it hard to keep the meat from slipping down? My last pack was an external frame with a rigid shelf.

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
I like the meat shelf but I don't think its an absolute MUST. I haven't hauled meat with it yet but it keeps the sand bag nice and high while hiking. I think meat would tend to work its way down a bit without it.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I kind of agree but I'd love to have the modified buckles that don't have those teeth on them. The toothed ones are tough to adjust.

Brian I cut the teeth off the buckles with a knife and filed them. They work perfect now. bring your pack over I can help you with it. =-)

This may have been covered already but this post is super long and getting a little hard to wade through. Do you guys that have the pack already think the 3500 is big enough for a week long trip or would the 5500 be a better bet?

I bought the 5500 the weight difference between the two is insignificant to me for another 2000 cu inches and it still collapses down to almost nothing
Tim

brohymn2

FNG
Just got my 5500 today. Man I love these packs hopefully it sees more use than my 3500 did. Keep up with the good work Steve

They will be at booth 638! I plan to check them out as well as a few others, so it's nice to be able to look at several packs all in the same place!

MLHSN

Lil-Rokslider
I got my pack today. Seriously digging it. Can't wait to put some miles on it. I'm trying to think through a way of sewing up a rifle carrier that will fit between the bag and the frame so the rifle will be diagonal kind of like the Mystery Ranch Overload design. I like the idea of the weight being close to my back and centered. See pic below.

http://www.mysteryranch.com/nice-overload-3zip-bvs-view4-lrg.jpg