First time Bow Elk

jburman

FNG
I was fortunate enough to draw first elk bow season (beginning of September) in New Mexico this year, and while I have taken elk with both rifle and muzzleloader before, this will be my first shot with a bow. Obviously I have my bow, I have bugle and cow calls and camo, etc., but my question is what gear or advice have you found to be extremely helpful while bow hunting? What is something you have found to be indispensable, or you wish you knew when you started bow hunting elk?

In my experience here in MT, there are a few things I would mention:

-having another person to help with calling scenarios can pull "stubborn" bulls in and really help

-trek poles have been indispensible for me. while archery hunting, I will usually have my bow in one hand and a single trek pole in the other to help with going over deadfall/slopes

-try to find a pattern of where they are moving from water to bedding during the morning and get in between this area

-practice shooting at further distances/different angles than you will shoot in normal hunting scenarios. This will make shots much easier under pressure and you will be ready for any scenario

fwafwow

WKR
Gear (short list)
  • Saline nasal spray (seriously)
  • Don’t focus too much on weight
  • Some food that sounds (and packs) great on paper sucks in real life

BWG13

Lil-Rokslider
- If you aren't already, get in shape. Rucking is great to help you prep for a hunt.

- Scout, and not just for elk. If you're hunting in an unfamiliar unit, find areas with cell service, camping locations, drive-able roads, etc. ahead of time.

- Practice judging distance/yardage without a rangefinder. You might find yourself in a scenario where pulling out the rangefinder isn't possible without getting busted.

DeePow

FNG
Spare release in your pack.

Do some summer shooting with your pack and bino harness on.
To bounce of this idea - get your heart rate up before shooting. I used to jump rope for 2-3 minutes, toss my pack with weight on to practice getting my breathing and heart rate under control. My knees don’t enjoy jumping anymore and I haven’t found anything as efficient.

In videos I often see people leave their packs behind. If you practice with your pack on, you won’t feel the need to ditch it in these scenarios. For me personally, I never leave my pack behind because it could force you to bail on a pursuit as the elk move off but you can’t get separated from your pack or you could misplace it altogether, which a buddy of mine did at dusk.

This connects to the individual above who said don’t worry about weight. I worry about weight because the impact it has on me day-after-day. I can do four nights at 32 lbs., weight isn’t my top priority but leaving certain comfort items behind can make an enormous difference

JK47

FNG
Good info here. Especially shooting with your pack on. Last year when I shot my bull, I was straddling a small log with one knee on the ground, with my pack on. So don’t hesitate to practice shooting from awkward positions.

If you haven’t already, get some calls and practice mewing. Just that can get elk curious. I heard a cow mew last year, so I mewed back. She came in and walked right up to my buddy.

Attachments

• IMG_0280.png
    IMG_0280.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 61
Preseason scouting trip if possible is extremely helpful. Every archery hunt I go on now I always have a spare bugle tube, and several wind indicator bottles in the truck. Leukotape on my heels has helped prevent a lot of potential blisters when I was in steep terrain.

bz_711

WKR
In Backpack
Phone / Compass / Calls
Radio / ZOLEO
Tags / Wallet / Release
Water / Food / water filter (purifiers)
Knives / Sharpener / Game Bags
Walking sticks
Glock (bearspray?)
Rain Gear
Jacket or vest / Puffy / Socks
Rope / duct tape / zip ties
Headlamps / batteries / charger&cord
flint / lighter / first aid / pain relief
chapstick / wipes
Small tripod
first aid / poncho / emergency blanket
latex gloves / cut-proof glove
bow kit (allens,D-loop,peeptube,fieldtip)
gloves / stocking hat
rangefinder (battery)
trash bags / tyvek

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Make sure you have a rangefinder, but be prepared for shots you haven't ranged. Practice shooting from any and all positions you can come up with while wearing your hunting clothes and carrying your pack. I had to think about it, but in 44 years every big game animal I've shot with a bow or a rifle was while I was wearing my pack.