FNG from Texas

jwiltx

FNG
A friend of mine told me about this site while planning for my first (DIY) elk hunt in 2025. Currently, white tail and duck hunting and looking to branch out for something more challenging.

atmat

WKR
As the new self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new TX member.

Alex

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG
Sounds like the welcome line from Blazing Saddles. Thanks for the welcome and looking forward to learning what I can from here.

Use the Search function for any question you have before asking the question in a post. The same questions are asked repeatedly with new members. Wealth of information and the search function is very helpful. You can spend hours researching things you want to know.

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG
Use the Search function for any question you have before asking the question in a post. The same questions are asked repeatedly with new members. Wealth of information and the search function is very helpful. You can spend hours researching things you want to know.
Already have. I always search a while before I post. Thanks.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
While @atmat does an admirable job in my absence, there really is nothing like the real thing. 😉

As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new TX member. Semper Fi and carry on Marine.

Eddie

atmat

WKR
While @atmat does an admirable job in my absence, there really is nothing like the real thing. 😉

As the self-appointed chairman of the welcoming committee, it is my privilege to extend a laurel, and hearty handshake (virtual, of course) to our new TX member. Semper Fi and carry on Marine.

Eddie
Hahah I’ve been meaning to beat you to one to gauge your reaction, but you’re pretty quick.

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG

Eddie
Semper Fi brother and thanks.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome from SE Texas.

I was re-infected with the bug a few years ago as the kids got older life slowed down giving the time to hunt outside of Texas. It was a long gap after being stationed at Kirtland AFB in ABQ NM in my youth.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Richmond, SW side of Houston.

I have a step son in Arlington. Try to stop into Alamo Precision Rifles when in town but there now Tuesday through Friday so it's a miss more than a hit.

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG
I’m up just north of Dallas. How about yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm near the Woodlands.

I've only been hunting a few years, and started in the hill country on my brother in law's famil's land. He hasn't been able to in the last few years (new kid), so I've been hunting public land (Sam Houston) since it's only 30 min from me, and thankfully, I've been successful both years.

I've been itching to do an elk hunt, just can't swallow dropping a few grand to shoot something, so a buddy and I are planning a DIY hunt in 2025 (hiking in a few mils and camping for 10 days to hopefully not come home empty handed).

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
I’m planning something similar for ‘25, but I might end up solo. Public about all I can afford. It’s been a struggle but I enjoy it. Embrace the suck. Haha.

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG
I’m planning something similar for ‘25, but I might end up solo. Public about all I can afford. It’s been a struggle but I enjoy it. Embrace the suck. Haha.

Where are you planning on going? We're looking at Utah or Colorado. Have you seen the budget elk hunting page (https://www.backcountrychronicles.com/diy-western-elk-hunt-for-1000-budget/) I've been using that site for most of my info, and we've been using Google for scouting.

I also ended up bumping into a guy locally that gave me a bunch of info on how he does his DIY hunts.

Therooster240g

FNG
Classified Approved
I look at Montana. Should draw a general tag next year. Haven’t really look at much else. I’ll get out the link. I have been considering figuring out black bear since it’s cheaper and mostly otc. Since like a good way to be able to get out more.

OP
jwiltx

jwiltx

FNG
I look at Montana. Should draw a general tag next year. Haven’t really look at much else. I’ll get out the link. I have been considering figuring out black bear since it’s cheaper and mostly otc. Since like a good way to be able to get out more.

This is my first elk hunt, and my buddy's second one. He said they saw elk the last time they were in the area we're headed (NE Utah), just needed more time to get closer.

I'm planning on doing some hog and exotic (red stag) hunting on public land this year to try and get out more.