FYI Kuiu fans...

Not the best pic....

attachment.php

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
My buddy and I packed out some deer this past year we both had 1850's and would put 2 quarters in each pack. Neither of us ever had a frame break in several trips. Mine sqeeked and it drove me bananas and I didnt like how it rode when it had more than about 35 pounds in it. I sold it and I have a kifaru bikini I will be trying this season.

dotman

WKR
This statement is not true. I have been the primary KUIU forum moderator since March of 2013. During this time, we have not deleted a single picture or tread regarding broken ICON frames.

That is a short time in that position considering how many years the pack has been out. Might want to verify that one prior to less then a year of moderation duties.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I did a lot of research on this prior to buying my ICON last summer. It seemed that the common theme on the old frames was some sort of irregular / odd use. Something that tweaked the pack beyond the design intent. I spoke with Jason via email several times around the frame and he was quite open about prior complaints and 100% committed to backing his packs if anything happened to it. Its new technology and pretty darn cool.

I understand a guy's desire to have a tank of a pack, but its hard to get that and still be as light as the ICON is. I hauled my entire 2013 ram out in my ICON, and I've spend a decent amount of time hauling gear around with it. Is is it perfect, no. But it was the best pack for me at the time of order.

My desire to see pictures was to note points of weakness, understand how it happened, and then just keep an eye on those portions of my frame. Furthermore it might prevent other users from loading a pack wrong or lashing it down to something in a manner that could possibly crack the frame. I bought the pack because the pack bag is setup just about perfectly for how I like to organize my gear. So far its working great and I want to keep it that way. I don't like hearing blanket comments and rumors, I want to see pictures and understand how things happen, not to bash a pretty darn good pack, but to make sure I keep it that way.

As for the forum, kudos to KUIU for keeping it open. If I was a business owner I'm not sure I'd continue to take the berating that occurs there.

Stresd

FNG
Lol has anyone owned an Icon and NOT broken the frame?

Yes. My 7200 / 2013 variant. Love my pack and is excellent for my needs. Three trips and I havn't babied it. Though I am careful of how I load and cinch it if loading any weight because of what I have read. One trip was a two week Sheeper and have had zero problems, with the exception of the cheap, crappy zipper pulls that I replace/upgrade as they break. Love how quick it dries after after dipping it in the river a few times to rinse all the blood out of the pack. One of those times just needed to get off the mountain after taking Billy in the pouring rain, so weren't worried about nicieties. Just load up and get out of Dodge. Didn't get back to our spike camp til after midnight.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes. My 7200 / 2013 variant. Love my pack and is excellent for my needs. Three trips and I havn't babied it. Though I am careful of how I load and cinch it if loading any weight because of what I have read. One trip was a two week Sheeper and have had zero problems, with the exception of the cheap, crappy zipper pulls that I replace/upgrade as they break. Love how quick it dries after after dipping it in the river a few times to rinse all the blood out of the pack. One of those times just needed to get off the mountain after taking Billy in the pouring rain, so weren't worried about nicieties. Just load up and get out of Dodge. Didn't get back to our spike camp til after midnight.
And there is why I bought mine. : ) These stories seem to be the majority, its just the "break ones" that get all the "press." :)

CentennialELK

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 7200 and an 1850 that I like very much. Haven't packed an animal but have put plenty of weight for trial runs. Maybe it is because I've only had lesser packs before, no complaints here.

slim9300

WKR
My first gen frame broke and my dad's broke a year later after seeing very little use. The 'legs' are the weak link. Kuiu sent my dad the gen 2 frame/suspension but he had to pay $150 to upgrade. It's better but noisy as heck. As soon as I can, I'm going to get him a BT1.

I love Kuiu's clothing but I'm not a fan of the packs.

My first gen frame broke and my dad's broke a year later after seeing very little use. The 'legs' are the weak link. Kuiu sent my dad the gen 2 frame/suspension but he had to pay $150 to upgrade. It's better but noisy as heck. As soon as I can, I'm going to get him a BT1.

I love Kuiu's clothing but I'm not a fan of the packs.

He had to pay 150 bucks to have his faulty frame replaced?

slim9300

WKR
He had to pay 150 bucks to have his faulty frame replaced?

They said they would replace it with another gen 1 or charge for an upgrade. The gen 1 was so fragile that it didn't make sense to risk it while hunting IMHO. I wasn't real happy at the time (and especially now) but it was either that or throw it away. The good news for my pops is that he has my partner and I to pack out his animals when they hit the ground in the MT backcountry. He just needs to get himself in a out, which is no dream.

I understand a guy's desire to have a tank of a pack, but its hard to get that and still be as light as the ICON is.

I felt that way to when I got my Icon, but the Kifaru Bikini frame is actually a few oz lighter than the icon frame (so is the stone glacier krux) . Its also $75 more... which isn't worth a few ounces unless it hauls better and holds up better... I just got my bikini frame so I cant say yet but so far I am thinking its going to haul better and hold up better for sure (and an added bonus I cant imagine its going to squeak like that icon did). Anyway my feeling is that if the Icon isnt lighter it better perform and hold up better or be significantly cheaper.

Last edited:
I had another underwhelming experience with KUIUs customer service.

The mobile version was a bit hard to follow... but I ordered a new tee (at about 8PM). Shortly after ordering it I realized that the black was the same old 100% cotton that I have ordered before and hated and that only the tan and white came in the new cotton/poly blend (if I understood correctly). I sent an email asking about this (about 8:30PM) and asked if my understanding was correct, realizing it was after hours, I just said if the black is the 100% cotton can you switch my order to the white cotton/poly. I didn't receive a reply by 11am the next day so I called in. First the guy had no idea about which shirts were cotton/poly. Then he tells me they can only edit an order within an hour. I said I emailed within an hour. It was after hours... so reality is they can only edit and order during hours within an hour. He said I could just send it back and exchange it... my reply was well yes I can pay shipping to send it back and cross my fingers that the one I want is in stock. I felt I was done dirty even more because I emailed within an hour and called within an hour of kuiu being open anyway but neither did the trick.

Also... when I made the order last night I ordered a hat first then seen this tee and made a second order (so I paid shipping twice), I didnt even ask about combing orders because I tried to do that at Christmas when I made two orders within in an hour of each other that would have qualified for free shipping if ordered together and they would not help with that and it made my blood boil so I just got off the phone.

Hate their warehouse shipping system, I mean call over to the warehouse and fix it for me I am sorry if its a bit of a headache to do but its got to be possible unless its already shipped. I also hate when I hear how great the customer service is, I have never found it to be above average.

brewer427

WKR
I had another underwhelming experience with KUIUs customer service.

The mobile version was a bit hard to follow... but I ordered a new tee (at about 8PM). Shortly after ordering it I realized that the black was the same old 100% cotton that I have ordered before and hated and that only the tan and white came in the new cotton/poly blend (if I understood correctly). I sent an email asking about this (about 8:30PM) and asked if my understanding was correct, realizing it was after hours, I just said if the black is the 100% cotton can you switch my order to the white cotton/poly. I didn't receive a reply by 11am the next day so I called in. First the guy had no idea about which shirts were cotton/poly. Then he tells me they can only edit an order within an hour. I said I emailed within an hour. It was after hours... so reality is they can only edit and order during hours within an hour. He said I could just send it back and exchange it... my reply was well yes I can pay shipping to send it back and cross my fingers that the one I want is in stock. I felt I was done dirty even more because I emailed within an hour and called within an hour of kuiu being open anyway but neither did the trick.

Also... when I made the order last night I ordered a hat first then seen this tee and made a second order (so I paid shipping twice), I didnt even ask about combing orders because I tried to do that at Christmas when I made two orders within in an hour of each other that would have qualified for free shipping if ordered together and they would not help with that and it made my blood boil so I just got off the phone.

Hate their warehouse shipping system, I mean call over to the warehouse and fix it for me I am sorry if its a bit of a headache to do but its got to be possible unless its already shipped. I also hate when I hear how great the customer service is, I have never found it to be above average.

I personally have had great success with KUIU but I know every company isn't perfect.

My line of work is HVAC, Refrigeration and welding. When It comes to ordering parts or materials from a big or small company it's always like your above statement. Unfortunately I could tell some stories that would put your experience to shame. So I completely understand what your going through and your frustration. You would think it wouldn't be as complicated as companys make it. I know when we send parts and Items to people, as long as UPS hasn't came to one of our shops and a shipping label hasn't been generated, the parts guy can still adjust orders or combine them before sending them out.

Now here is the only reason I can think where they couldn't change your order or combine them. That would be if multiple shipping labels were already made up for each order, and if there was, when they went to combine the items, it would be heavier then either of the items that they initially made a shipping label for. In that case it does cost them money to adjust stuff.

I know personally I don't order from KUIU unless it's during business hours, and I call before to confirm stock and call afterwords to confirm that they recvieved my order.