FYI Kuiu fans...

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone seen or handled the new KUIU pack? Ultralight definitely comes at a cost I guess. Jason stated that the new frame and bag is "stiffer, lighter and stronger"

Im interested in the ULTRA because of the weight savings and because all of my KUIU gear so far has been great, but all these stories sound horrible. Ultralight wont count for S#*T if i break a frame 8 miles in on a sheep hunt, but i hoping they have figured this carbon thing out.

RedStag

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any pic of these broken frames? Im curious to see where they broke, and how the breaks happend

OP
J

JWP58

WKR
From what I've heard most of the breaks were on the lower parts of the frames (except for one that I know of where the user rigged up the load lifters incorrectly and broke the top extensions). But I've never seen pics, or any explanation in detail.

I ordered one of their packs back in November. I love all their clothing but their packs are garbage (IMO). Everything on that pack made noise, from the material to the frame. Every movement I made with the pack on I could hear the frame creaking. My wife could hear it across the room as I marched in place. The zipper pulls were cheap plastic and would easily stretch and break if pulled to quickly or if pack got in a bind. The belt pouches are a joke. Needless to say I sent it back the next day and ordered a Kifaru.

KUIU makes some awesome awesome stuff. Clothing wise. I think they should just stick to that. And let companies like Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, etc do the backpacks.

dotman

WKR
You are right, but at least you know when you get back home your going to be covered. If a frame breaks on one of these guys, there out a fair amount of money and starting from scratch again.

The only reason you would not offer warranty on this set up is because you are worried about a bunch of returns for warranty work.

And for how many broken frames I have read about and seen pictures of, no warranty = ouch.

I sure hope these packs hold up for the guys who bought them.

Makes me think of the old saying "you get what you pay for". Saving a buck usually doesn't work out to well in the long run. It does suprise me they wouldn't cover these items under warranty.

I guess worst case scenario, if you like the bag try to modify it to fit a kifaru, SG, MR or Paradox frame if the kuiu breaks cause my guess is these bags will not fit the new frame kuiu is coming out with.

Snyd

WKR
No Warranty on a new item? Heck, I bought a Kelty 50th Ann. Pack used off ebay, packed hundreds of lbs of sheep for hundreds of miles over a few years, dropped it on a hardback road (or maybe a big ol rock) with about 140lbs in it and bent the frame. I tried to bend it back, it cracked. Called Kelty, told em the story, emailed em pics and they covered it! They no longer had that model so could not replace it but they shipped me a brand spankin new RedCloud 6500. Which I sold, bought a Bikini Frame and attached the Kelty 50th bag to.

Anyone have any pic of these broken frames? Im curious to see where they broke, and how the breaks happend

I don't have the frame sheet anymore but I broke the right load lifter , I believe I cracked it originally by tightening a load of meat to the frame, but combined that with tightening the load lifter in the opposite direction with a lot of weight on it and , boom!! Broken load lifter. I would be interested to hear how you even set the load lifters up in properly, it's pretty straight forward. I've paid much more attension to how I tighten the two tops straps to the bag and have not had any problems since.

Tipsntails, how have the zippers been on that pack? Have you had very long?

I've had the pack since September, the zippers seem to be of really good quality, the pulls are garbage though. They are fairly loud because they are suppose to be water proof. The bags not waterproof so I don't see the point. But I have yet to have a problem with them.

Eric S

FNG
I am very unfamiliar with Kifaru packs. I'm switching to their shelter this season but thought I was set on my pack (KUIU 7200). I love their cloths but I do not want to risk a break on the pack. I just poked around on Kifaru's website and Im liking how modular everything is. It looks like the Timberline 1 would be the equivalent of the KUIU 7200. I see there's a lot of love for Kifaru on this site. Can I go wrong with the timberline 1?

Shrek

WKR
Can I go wrong with the timberline 1?

No , not really. I would do a Bikini frame and Timberline 1. Up to 7 to 10 days depending on gear and it will compress down small for day hunting without camp in the bag. It will easily carry more weight than most of us would want to carry and is bombproof durable. If you are the type who really packs extreme weight loads the duplex hauler frame will carry even more weight than the bikini frame. All the duplex bags fit both frames. Timberline , Nomad , EMR II , and Long hunter bags all fit both frames.

Rocky

WKR
Yes you should be worried. The frame breaks are fairly well documented, I broke mine this year with 45-60 pounds of bear meat. I think that it actually cracked on the previous trip out with gear and bear pelt, probably around 100 pounds? Maybe less. It was not fun getting that out, I was only 2 miles from the truck so that helped. Kuiu was quick to replace the frame sheet with zero questions asked, but that won't do you any good 5 miles from the truck

I broke a frame as well with about 50 pounds in the pack

Rocky

WKR
I am very unfamiliar with Kifaru packs. I'm switching to their shelter this season but thought I was set on my pack (KUIU 7200). I love their cloths but I do not want to risk a break on the pack. I just poked around on Kifaru's website and Im liking how modular everything is. It looks like the Timberline 1 would be the equivalent of the KUIU 7200. I see there's a lot of love for Kifaru on this site. Can I go wrong with the timberline 1?

after I broke my Kuiu frame I bought a kifaru bikini and a timberline 1. I used it last year and really liked it and planned on using the combo for many more years. Then I saw the Emr2. After a lot of researching I decided to sell the timberline and buy the emr2 because it fit my needs/wants a little better. As for the frame it is the most comfortable frame I have used.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Do you have pictures of the frame you broke? Also what were you doing when it broke? Just curious.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I hear lots of stories of them breaking, but I have not seen any pictures nor been unable to understand the actions that were taking place when the frame was broken.

I'd like to know for two reasons:
1) to be aware of weak points on the frame (verified by pictures) to focus on
2) To be better informed of what specific actions result in the breakage.

I hear lots of stories of them breaking, but I have not seen any pictures nor been unable to understand the actions that were taking place when the frame was broken.

I'd like to know for two reasons:
1) to be aware of weak points on the frame (verified by pictures) to focus on
2) To be better informed of what specific actions result in the breakage.

Most of the pictures I have seen have been on the Kuiu site. They are pretty quick to delete any of the pictures/threads so they aren't around for long.

Here is one that still has pictures.

http://forum.kuiu.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2760&hilit=cracked&start=10

Ben

WKR
I would also like to see pictures of broken Icon frames. I hear a lot of people talking about them but have yet to see a picture. Seeing is believing.