Game warden infield checks

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
several thousands; oh how many times have I been checked :D

iirc I would check about 500 hunters in a year, close to the same number of anglers- that’s SE Montana, some part of the states are busier

LandYacht

WKR
3 times for me, all during spring turkey. One time was in the field while we had a set and he drove in on the closed forest service the road, saw our decoys, and then started looking for us.

The last time was when we were finishing off a set and he had confiscated a hen that ironically we had heard a guy shoot an hour earlier. He donated the hen to my buddy, it was his first turkey, and a rare experience I am sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tttoadman

WKR
Once at our camp in OR. We had 4 bulls hanging, and most camps in the area had none. We had great local no how on our side that year.

Twice on the airstrips in ID.

I love chatting with these guys. They have a great insight for spotting D-bags and liars. I appreciate the opportunity to see them.

colersu22

WKR
I have been stopped multiple times fishing but only once hunting and it was because we needed to be off the property at 4pm so they can plant pheasant and we got back to the lot at 4:02. The guy was nice at first but told us we were late, which I understand but took a little longer to walk and pick up decoys than we thought. He then accused me of not having a plug in my shotgun and was going to write me a ticket, it took a couple minutes for him to be kind enough to try again.

Trial153

WKR
One time in maine. And it was half a gag as the warden was stopping to say hello as he was friends my the guys i was running hounds with. Other then that i been to the artic to Mexico boarder with out so much as a wave.

While hunting in NC i have been checked 3x. All 3 during archery season. Been checked several times at road blocks. Now while fishing I have been checked dozens of times, especially on trout streams. Never been checked on an out of state hunt.

gabenzeke

WKR
Never officially checked. I do have a game warden friend who will stop to give us a hard time on occasion, but never had any others check me. Hunted for 20 plus years, multiple states.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Takem

WKR
I've lost count in CA. I've been checked dove, duck and deer hunting along with fishing in the delta.

Probably 6 or 7 times in Colorado. We became friendly with the warden that used to have our unit. He hiked in a couple of hours to check us one time because he new where we were going to be. He's a nice guy and the hardest working warden I've bumped into. My brother shot a real nice buck that went onto private. I called his cell that evening and he arranged permission for us to get the animal within a few minutes.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
4 times total hunting west Virginia and Virginia. In 25+ years.

Been stopped about that many times in 6years in Georgia, but that's hunting on a military base

Sent from my SM-J327VPP using Tapatalk

Several times a year in Alaska. My favorite times are when they land their plane in the middle of a stalk, or even better.... an hour before dark on a secluded lake on Kodiak while you are trying to glass for brown bears.

Got checked by two Troopers in a helicopter while sheep hunting in a popular unit this year. Funny thing was one was wearing a Sitka soft shell and the other was decked in Kuiu (both in solids).

Otherwise, I pretty well count on seeing them at popular trailheads during caribou season. Caribou hunts tend to produce a lot of offenders. Can’t say I’ve ever been checked at moose camp, but I’m sure some areas get heavy treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

oldgoat

WKR
Twice, once in California Chuckar hunting and I was walking down a dirt road and once in Colorado pheasant hunting and he was nice enough to block the field for me with his truck since I was hunting alone, thought it might help me to get a shot. I'm 53 and I think I've maybe been checked 5 times and most of those times I was on a road i or very near a road. A lot of my friends get checked in camp during the day, but I'm almost never in camp during the day!

Grunt-N-Gobble

Lil-Rokslider
Once, last year or the year before, in the parking lot at a public PA game lands at the end of the day.
Very professional and no issues. He questioned where i had killed my buck and more specifically a doe, becuase of how our game units are broken up.. It seems there are guys who cant read and think their doe tag is good for anywhere in the state.

MtnOyster

WKR
never been checked while hunting but fishing in my neck of the woods is a different story, I cant tell you how many times I been checked fishing...................several.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was fortunate enough to have a relatively low population base and could often remember who I had checked fishing licenses; I’d still chat with those folks and check catches, but no need to see a license again. Of course more populated or busier areas that would be a lot tougher.

I've been checked quite alot for some reason. About 4-5 times in Utah, 3 times in Wyoming, and twice now in Nevada. I hunted Idaho and Colorado and never got checked there. I actually got checked leaving my hunting unit with tag filled this year.

Greg Beck

WKR
Twice one year deer hunting in Idaho. Shortly after I moved to Idaho I was really into fishing so I decided to buy a nonresident fishing license. 5 minutes after I bought that license and pulled up to the river to fish a fish and game warden stopped and checked me. I can't ever remember being checked while fishing I Kansas.

amp713

WKR
I've been asked questions by the Indian fish cops (I live next to the reservation) more than state fish and game.

wytx

WKR
Several times in Wyoming either at camp or while out hunting. Once had a warden walk in on private land to check us because a neighbor called us in hunting on land they thought we had no access to. We had written proof and he was very friendly and professional. They will travel the forest roads and check on folks every year, BLM too.