Game warden infield checks

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
More times than I can count in CA - the game wardens will set up checkpoints on roads coming out of certain areas and check everyone that's leaving at night. Never had an issue.

Got checked once in Colorado. The warden asked what I was hunting and I told him mule deer and handed over my tag. He looks at it and says "So you're hunting elk?" I repeated, "No, mule deer." Not sure if he was confused or just trying to trip me up and get me to say I was hunting elk. Either way, it was kind of a weird encounter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cnelk

WKR
Just a spattering of times over 30 years here in Colorado, all in camp or near trailheads/roads

Once back in the early 90s, we did have a guy show up in elk camp after dark, claiming he was 'tuned around' as it was snowing and late November.
We were having some fresh elk stew, served him a plate of it, made some small talk and gave him a ride up the forest road to where he said he thought his truck was parked about a mile up the road.

As we neared the spot, he said "that's close enough, I can walk the rest of the way"
Me and buddy said "nah - we'll take you all the way"
As we rounded a corner, the headlights lit up the side of his DOW emblem on his truck

Awkward moment ensued.
Then he fessed up - he was under-cover.
Thanked us for the stew and ride, and said we were hunting elk 'the right way' :)

I was made to take my whole pack apart coming out after a 3 day trip , “making sure no firearm “ during archery. At least i was almost to the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Trial153

WKR
I was made to take my whole pack apart coming out after a 3 day trip , “making sure no firearm “ during archery. At least i was almost to the truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
peoples republic of California?

swampokie

WKR
Every time I’ve deer hunted New Mexico the warden actually knew my name and where I was from the first time I was checked in nm! There were only 2 non resident tags for the unit and he had a list I guess. Checked in Texas on gator hunt and Florida on a turkey hunt. Numerous times in Oklahoma when I was younger. I check a lot of licenses now myself so I occasionally check my own just to keep it interesting!

Been checked almost every year at camp or in the vehicle. Out in the field only once. My dad had a CO Bighorn Archery Tag. We had backpacked the first 5 miles in and were almost to our camp spot and a DOW officer stopped us on the trail and saw my dad's bow strapped to his backpack. The DOW officer asked to see my dad's license. It wasn't exactly handy as he had it stuffed way in his pack. He wasn't happy about it, but showed it to him. Later that evening the same DOW officer made his camp in a meadow where the sheep had been feeding.

rayporter

WKR
once in Colorado at 10,000 ft and 15 mi from the road-he just asked 'do you have a liscense' and left
I have had my camp checked several times by forrest rangers that did not ask about a liscense

once in ohio -shooting groundhogs on private property with the owner

a few road checks in Colorado

ChukarUp

FNG
I cross paths with a Warden pretty frequently in Nevada. Always good encounters. They are friendly, reasonable guys that are just making sure things are the way we want them to be as honest sportsmen.

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
Probably once a season duck hunting. So maybe 1 in 20 trips. They have feds out here doing that so its some overlap. Only once in 30 years hunting big game and he didn't even check anything just gave me a ride back to camp

MtnOyster

WKR
I totally respect all law enforcement especially game wardens and I wouldn't want their jobs but I have a Ranger 522 Comanche fully rigged tons of gear, rods and reels and a butt load of crappie poles and every time a warden rolls up on us while were fishing the first thing he says is "you got your fishing license?" what I would like to say is..........do you really think I would spend this much money on all of this and sponge on a $25 dollar fishing license?? really??? here's your sign!! LMAO!!! but I don't, I just hand em to them.

TheCougar

WKR
Once while camped at a lake in Az that had a fishing restriction for no artificial bait. Asked if we had any luck, we said no. He didn’t ask for our licenses or check our tackle. I think he saw our fly gear and knew we weren’t cheating. .

Last edited:

kicker338

WKR
Wardens are just like us hunters, good ones, bad ones, and ugly ones. When I lived in good, I mean bad California I tangled with a bad one, he was a little mouthy guy who loved to give out tickets and a lot got tossed out of court. I found out that he wanted to be a cop but the HP. rejected him for too small, same for county and city police. Fish and game hired him, he also was big on pulling his gun out. There was one ugly one that my brother had a run in with, he didn't like bear hunters and let them know in short order, did everything he could to ticket them. Fish and game liked both of them though because of all the tickets the wrote. Been living in Idaho for the last 18yrs. never had an issue with the wardens here.

mtnkid85

WKR
I don't believe I ever have been checked. Ive only ever bumped into a few wardens, they've all been cordial and have never asked anything more than "got anything"?.

HOT ROD

WKR
I have talked to Wardens in Wyoming.. Both at base camp... Both of them where great.. Stood around for a hour or so and chatted.. Never once ask to see licenses.. Both gave out really good info.. The ones I have talked to on the phone have been good to...

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I can't count the number of times I have been checked in the field or on the way to a stand in the Midwest (MI, IL, IA, KS, Ohio and Iowa). In the mountain states I have hunted (AZ, CO, MT, WY, UT and ID) not a single check outside of rd side check points. I have seen an officer in several of those mountain states and flagged them down to pick their brain though. They have always been very helpful and friendly in all states except Illinois. IL is another story.