Good but inexpensive socks

Darn Toughs are a pretty good deal per sock when you actually send them to be replaced for free.

BDRam16

WKR
Thanks @Brian.243 (y)

I ordered a pack (6 pair) from costco.com for $24 delivered. Merino wool content is lower than Cabela's Instinct but not by much and hardly worth the $10 per pair premium.

Eddie
Eh. They’re not at all the same sock though. I have several packs of the Costco merino socks and I wear them every day all winter long. However, I would never wear them on a backcountry hunt. They’re just not a technical sock. I’d rather spend the $16 and know my feet are going to be dry and comfortable than cheap out and suffer with underperforming socks. I can tell you in my experience I will notice my feet sweating in the Costco socks LONG before the cabelas instinct

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Eh. They’re not at all the same sock though. I have several packs of the Costco merino socks and I wear them every day all winter long. However, I would never wear them on a backcountry hunt. They’re just not a technical sock. I’d rather spend the $16 and know my feet are going to be dry and comfortable than cheap out and suffer with underperforming socks. I can tell you in my experience I will notice my feet sweating in the Costco socks LONG before the cabelas instinct
I agree and thanks for that info.

I have no experience with either sock so compared based on price and sock composition. Is the 7% extra wool the difference maker, or something else?

Eddie

I am looking for some good socks and I know the go to is Darn Tough and Smartwool, but I’m looking for something a little less expensive. There are tons on amazon, but not sure which ones are any good. You have a recommendation? Oh this is for warm weather with hiking boots.
Go to sierra.com and get some smartwool hikers or everyday socks for arounr 12 bucks.

Subliminal1

Lil-Rokslider
I know you said you were looking for something more economical then Darntoughs... but at the end of the day, lifetime warranty sure is nice (and maybe the most economical). I have turned in 2 pairs, no questions asked, and got brand new ones.

BDRam16

WKR
I agree and thanks for that info.

I have no experience with either sock so compared based on price and sock composition. Is the 7% extra wool the difference maker, or something else?

Eddie
For me it’s more that the Costco sock is just a plain ol’ sock that happens to be merino. And it’s a pretty heavy weight wool. I definitely couldn’t wear it early season. The cabela’s/darn tough/ any hiking or hunting specific sock has extra cushion on the toes and heel and is thinner elsewhere. Thicker padding where you need it and that’s it. I wear the Costco socks when I treestand hunt later in the season.