Wool socks

Beendare

WKR
I really like the Darn Tough socks...especially since I can get the XL for size 14's but some of those are up to $28/pair now.

Is there any others with a high % merino worth a look?

I see some that are $25/4 pair on amazon....any good?

I don't want a Cabelas CC just to get a deal on socks....any other tricks worth looking at?

$28 is worth it for the lifetime warranty and quality. Smartwool are good socks too. I pretty much wear merino exclusively because my feet are sweaty no matter what and merino is the only thing comfortable in the swamps of Dagoah.

Jeffro

FNG
I have been through a few pairs of these over the years. When I found them, I was wandering through the sock department looking at % of merino only. These were the highest I could find at the time. 75% merino

Danner Merino socks

LG1

FNG
It's a long ways off, but Sportsman's Warehouse, the past few years, has all their socks, Darn Tough, Smart Wool, etc, 2 for the price of 1 on Black Friday. I always get a couple pair.

Farm to feet is my favorite socks anymore. I just bite the bullet and buy from them. They last a long time and have a great warranty. So, it seems worth it to support a usa owned and produced item.

hiker270

WKR
I have Darn Tough, Smartwool and Farm to Feet. Even without the Lifetime warranty the Darn tough are my favorite.

Mountneer

FNG
I really like the Darn Tough socks...especially since I can get the XL for size 14's but some of those are up to $28/pair now.

Is there any others with a high % merino worth a look?

I see some that are $25/4 pair on amazon....any good?

I don't want a Cabelas CC just to get a deal on socks....any other tricks worth looking at?
Look into Duckworth, headquartered in MT. They do merino everything. I've got about 12 pairs; I use them year round for hiking, hunting, chores, icefishing, wade fishing, happy hour, etc. Their longevity is really what sold me.

I have a few pair of hollow alpaca and they move moisture well and keep my feet warm and dry.

Unlike most I don’t like darn tough for how they work with my feet. I had 12-15 pair at one time and gradually figured out the dense wool doesn’t work as well as a loftier wool.

Gore are the best I’ve found but Sitka stopped making them so I bought all I could. Starting to wear through some of those so I’m back on the search.

Farm to feet Madison is pretty good, and the newest KUIU ultra merino are pretty good also. These are new within the past few years, the original versions were not that good and I gave them away.

Really hoping Forms camel and yak wool socks are the Gore replacement I’ve been looking for.

Agross

WKR
Those gore socks were the best socks ever made. Wish I woulda bought 20 pairs when they were still around. Darn tough are not for me either. The tight knit makes my feet clammy and get cold. I have several pairs of point6 and recently tried out a couple of alpaca socks. Like em so far. I’ve owned several pairs of Lorpen which aren’t bad for a little cheaper.

dlee56

WKR
Hard to beat darn tough in my opinion. Bought 7 pair back in 2017, all 7 wore a hole in the ball of the foot within the same month 5 years later in 2022. Went ahead and just bought 7 more pair haha, figured I got my moneys worth.

Has anyone taken advantage of their lifetime warranty? How was the experience?

Honyock

WKR
Haven't tried any cheap merino socks so I can't comment on them. I'm pretty particular on socks since messed up feet can ruin a hunt. I've used Smartwool, Darn Tough and Farm to Feet and I prefer Darn Tough. Be patient and watch the sales and you can get them for less than $28.00.

The lorpen merino light hiker ( dark grey body with lighter grey heels and toe) is pretty good and usually pops up on camofire periodically for $7.99 or something. I have 4-5 pairs and they are what I wear when I need boots but not hunting. Mine have lasted well, they do pill a little.
The lorpen is more of a mid weight not a true light as the name implies. No idea what their current offering equivalent would be. I don’t recognize any names.

Rokbar

WKR
Yeah, i get it…the expensive socks are good.

so nobody has tried the cheaper versions on Amazon?
I bought a pack of 6 merino wool socks off amazon. Chinese. I don't remember the % but not worth it. I don't think they lasted 6 months. Good looking socks when they arrived. All wore holes in the heel and would rip.

Rokbar

WKR
Just looked my past order of Embore. Says they are 70%??? I won't buy again. Years ago I bought some dalgren seconds at a flea market. Those were great socks.