Gun purchase

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to purchase a sidearm for me and a shotgun for my son. Went to cabelas and looked at my firearm purchase permit and noticed it has my old address on it. Also realized I haven't updated my drivers license yet either. Is this a problem for purchasing or am I ok since they match. If not I'll start the update process tomorrow.

I know in CO you just have to have something government issued. Easiest thing to use is car registration as this gets updated most often. Most gun shops I've been to recommend this when people have this issue. The address has to match whatever you put on the background check, which you certify is the truth so lying on it and using an old address is a bad idea.

OP
B

Bighub1

Lil-Rokslider
I don't want to lie. Actually have never purchased a gun as all have been a gift or inherited. Just want to make sure I have what I need in the proper order.

AZ Vince

WKR
My question is, are you committing a felony if you put the address that matches your government issued ID?
If it were me I'd get my ID updated with the correct address before attempting to purchase.

Yeah, knowing which state would help. Like I said, CO allows for any govt issued document and doesn't require your photo id to match. Tax documents, car registration and others all work.

2ski

WKR
Get your address changed on your hunting/fishing license to what it currently is. Just go to a license provider and change it and have them print out a new copy. That would be the easiest thing.

I will say, I believe most states require that you get a new license with your new address within something like 30/60/90 days to be valid. I've been pulled over and the officer warned me I needed to get it done. Every time you move.

I will say, I believe most states require that you get a new license with your new address within something like 30/60/90 days to be valid. I've been pulled over and the officer warned me I needed to get it done. Every time you move.

Agreed, but here in CO there is a method in which you fill out the paperwork and write your new address on the back and don't have to pay the $20 to get it reprinted, which is perfectly valid and legal for everything but gun purchases.

We had a similar thing... My wife's licenses did not match our current address... Cabelas wouldn't let us buy the rifle until she changed her address on her license (this can be done online so that it is changed in the database when they look you up)

This is in WA FWIW

JWP58

WKR
I guess I don't know what a "firearms purchase permit" is, any insight?

In a state where all you fill out is a 4473, you can bring a water bill, vehicle registration, etc to prove you live at an address that's different from your photo id. Although I doubt that will fly if you're required to have some sort of permit just to buy a gun (which is how I read your post)...I would suggest moving again.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Just saw this on the sheet you posted from the Federal regulations: "All handguns must be transferred from an FFL dealer to the customer in the state of the customer’s residence."

Is this something new? Never heard of such a thing. Does that mean that individuals aren't legally "allowed" to sell handguns to another resident on their own?

Several years ago while still a resident of indiana , was snow birding in ga. Went to no less than six different gun stores in ga and inquired what the regs were for me to purchase a firearm from them. Got no less than six different responses. Did buy a couple of long guns from one dealer, the only one who would sell them to me

StrutNut

Lil-Rokslider
In many states you will need a different permit to purchase a handgun than just a regular firearm. I would make sure you update your documents before purchasing. You may have to wait a small time period for a permit to purchase a handgun anyway (depending on your state) . You might as well do it right and do it legal.

Floorguy

WKR
I guess I don't know what a "firearms purchase permit" is, any insight?

In a state where all you fill out is a 4473, you can bring a water bill, vehicle registration, etc to prove you live at an address that's different from your photo id. Although I doubt that will fly if you're required to have some sort of permit just to buy a gun (which is how I read your post)...I would suggest moving again.
That's how it is in Alaska. I think I used a telephone bill one time shortly after moving.

welpro222

WKR
As an FFL dealer, its federal (or ATF law) to bring proof of current address if ID is not current. Valid proof includes: State CPL (not in your case), power bill, lease or rent agreement, State or federal tax paperwork, vehicle registration, fishing or hunting license, etc.

A cell phone bill, bank statement, insurance card, etc will not work. Depends on who your are dealing with, they may except these. On there next ATF audit, they will find out that these will not work.