Has anyone successfully cut and threaded a Seekins PH2?

Bama67

FNG
I am "this" close to ordering a PH2, but I want a shorter barrel, around 18", or so.

I found one thread where a guy cut his, but it wasn't done well, the fluting being so deep that his smith couldn't get it right.

I have read where UM said they can do it, but wondering if anyone actually has had this done or not.

Note, I cannot afford the Element, or I would just do that.

I’ve chatted with Seekins directly on the issue and they acted like it was no big deal and their customers do it all the time. I haven’t read of anyone doing it however anywhere..

What muzzle device will you be mounting to the rethreaded barrel and what thread pitch does it require?

OP
Bama67

Bama67

FNG
It would be a suppressor. Brakes suck.
Ideally I would use 5/8" thread, but not opposed to 1/2" thread with adapter.

It would be a suppressor. Brakes suck.
Ideally I would use 5/8" thread, but not opposed to 1/2" thread with adapter.
Which brand of suppressor? I use TBAC suppressors and I'd bet they could cut the barrel and facemount a CB brake on it pretty easily. Not sure you're going to get 5/8-24 threads after cutting because of the trough to trough distance of the flutes.

I am the guy that had the PH2 cut debacle - happy to answer any questions you may have (still have the barrel)

You would get 9/16 x24 out of it more then likely (what we had) and run a 9/16 to 5/8 - I actually liked this as it gave a good shoulder (Hyperion K doesn’t have enough shoulder to run without adapter).

If you find a smith willing to cut it, just make sure you check your suppressor alignment prior to shooting.

Having seen it, I think it’s possible, but tread carefully and accept the risk that you may end up out $550 and maybe you want to start there… they had it rebarreled and back to me in like 2-3 weeks.

The PH2 has a thicker barrel profile then the element (or 22” rebarrel) FYI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
Bama67

Bama67

FNG
I'm undecided on what can I would use for now. My current can isn't rated for it.

Thanks Riley, I'm actually just up the road from Kampfeld so I'll just call him and see what he thinks.

OP
Bama67

Bama67

FNG
I called Karl at Kampfeld (super nice guy btw) and he said it should be easy peasy. Other than the can would be shouldering up on the flutes, so he could do a collar or something.
So I pulled the trigger on a 6mm CM PH2 and am beyond stoked, also got it for $1570 which I was very happy with.

I called Karl at Kampfeld (super nice guy btw) and he said it should be easy peasy. Other than the can would be shouldering up on the flutes, so he could do a collar or something.
So I pulled the trigger on a 6mm CM PH2 and am beyond stoked, also got it for $1570 which I was very happy with.
Did he mention what threading he thought he could get away with? I’m contemplating two options for my 6cm build.

1) Havak PH2 cut down (through the threading) to 22”. This feels like the easy button but is a 7lb rifle.

2) Tikka 243, rebarrel to 6cm 22”, true action and trigger spring. Obviously more work but should come in right around 6 pounds

I’m a Seekins guy so option 1 is appealing. Option 2 however is lighter and gives me more optionality on aftermarket stock/chassis options down the road. Price is nearly identical for both based on quote from my gunsmith.. Decisions!

OP
Bama67

Bama67

FNG
He said probably just 1/2". But I run an adapter now on another rifle with no issues, can't even tell it's there.
I went back and forth hard over this or building a Tikka as well, but I just really wanted to support a great local Idaho company in Seekins.
I'm happy.