Help me pick a quilt!

Mark at EXO

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'm running the Katabatic Alsek 22 and have been really happy with it. I chose them b/c of the attachment system, shape/cut, and the true temp ratings. I toss and turn a lot (sleep on both side, front, and back :), and the quilt has allowed me to do all of that movement without getting tangled up or feel too locked in. I do recommend the wide if you're an "active sleeper" like I am.

crich

WKR
Ok so I've had an EE quilt in my cart for a while now waiting to pull the trigger. For you guys that are running quilts what degree rating are you using? I'm leaning towards a 20* long/wide that if I need during late season rifle I can just wear a set of uncompaghres under? Something that would drive me bonkers in a mummy bag. Trying to justify having 1 lightweight piece of gear to cover the whole season. These things aren't cheap.

fwafwow

WKR
I ended up ordering a katabatic quilt just a few days ago. I went with the grenadier 5* model (6’6” length, standard width). I’m more of a cold sleeper so I wanted the extra margin.

I’ll report back as soon as I get hands on it in case any one is interested or thinking about a katabatic quilt. Their CS has been great so far, I called in twice with some pretty specific questions and they took the time to answer all of them. The owner was actually who I spoke to the first time I called in. I asked him about a measurement that wasn’t listed on the website (neck opening circumference measurement) and he said ‘I’ll go measure it right now can you hold on a second?’ Pretty happy with them so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did it work out? I'm in the same position but considering a slightly warmer/lighter bag. Thanks!

OP
back country
The concept of a quilt is really slick, but it ended up not being for me. I spent 10ish nights in it and just couldn’t seem to get it dialed in like I wanted. I may try it again in the future at some point, but for me I think a long sleeping bag is the ticket. One of the main reasons I got the quilt was in the hopes it would let me sleep on my stomach more comfortably since that seems to be about the only position I can fall asleep in. It didn’t work out in the quilt like I’d hoped. Every time I shifted slightly I’d feel a draft. I tried to keep it cinched down tight to prevent that but I couldn’t eliminate it entirely. I think the ticket for me to be able to comfortably sleep on my stomach in the woods is a long version of whatever sleeping bag I end up taking which will allow me to stretch out and sleep on my stomach. All along I’ve had a WM versalite in the 6’6” length (I’m 5’11”).

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions just ask.

fwafwow

WKR
The concept of a quilt is really slick, but it ended up not being for me. I spent 10ish nights in it and just couldn’t seem to get it dialed in like I wanted. I may try it again in the future at some point, but for me I think a long sleeping bag is the ticket. One of the main reasons I got the quilt was in the hopes it would let me sleep on my stomach more comfortably since that seems to be about the only position I can fall asleep in. It didn’t work out in the quilt like I’d hoped. Every time I shifted slightly I’d feel a draft. I tried to keep it cinched down tight to prevent that but I couldn’t eliminate it entirely. I think the ticket for me to be able to comfortably sleep on my stomach in the woods is a long version of whatever sleeping bag I end up taking which will allow me to stretch out and sleep on my stomach. All along I’ve had a WM versalite in the 6’6” length (I’m 5’11”).

Hope that helps. If you have any more specific questions just ask.

Thanks for this. Do you think a *wider* rather than longer version would make stomach sleeping and shifting better? I am a back sleeper, but I was going to order a wide version because I'm not a fan of the mummy and the constricted feeling. I'm thinking of the quilt more from a weight savings perspective, and since I can get cold in the tree stand (but perhaps not as much sleeping), I'm concerned about drafts. I suppose I could always wear a puffy.

OP
back country
A wider version may help, but one thing to keep in mind is that a wider bag has that much more space your body has to heat up and keep warm or else you get cold. A wider version may have helped me out because I felt like when I would tuck it in around myself on cold nights (late November) I didn’t have much room to shift at all without letting a draft in from the edge coming untucked. It’s kind of a fine line to walk between having adequate width to move around enough while at the same time not having too much ‘dead space’ in the bag that your body has to keep warm at night or else you get cold.

Maybe order a wide and regular width version to try both out. Keep the one you like and return the other. That’s what I did with my most recent sleeping bag purchase and I was really happy I did. Seeing numbers on a website is one thing, but being able to actually get in the different sizes of bags so you know exactly what the difference is can be a huge advantage.

FatBuddah

WKR
I’m waiting for mine from UGQ. Very helpful and willing to spend the time talking out concerns or questions, plus I think they have the most “customization”.
Got a 65”x84” 0* 850 fill w/ 4oz overstuff

fwafwow

WKR
I’m waiting for mine from UGQ. Very helpful and willing to spend the time talking out concerns or questions, plus I think they have the most “customization”.
Got a 65”x84” 0* 850 fill w/ 4oz overstuff

I've been following this thread and while I had seen a couple prior UGQ references, I had forgotten about them. I was leaning towards the Katabatic Palisade but after your post, I looked at UGQ. I *think* that I've figured out an apples-to-apples comparison between the two: (1) Palisade 6'6" long/wide, 900 fill, and (2) 30* Bandit XL, 60"/78", 950 fill. I'm sure that I've chosen something that isn't comparable, but am I way off base on the following comparisons?
  • UGQ about $100 less
  • Bandit is wider (60" vs 58") - although the Bandit has an even wider (65") option
  • Bandit is lighter (21.7oz vs. 19.86oz), although this could be a difference in footbox or fill
  • Bandit has 950 fill vs. 900 for Palisade - BUT Katabatic offers a hydrophobic option
Let me know if I'm missing something. I know the UGC has a 5-7 week lead time, but Katabatic is out of stock until June.