Hip Waders and Boots for Moose

tit1eist2

FNG
Classified Approved
Does anyone have a recommendation for hip waders and boots for an Oct Moose hunt in Central Saskatchewan? The hunt would be more canoe then hike place to place. I've hunted elk for years but this is my first moose hunt so I'm not exactly sure what to even prepare for. Any help would be appreciated.

I have had great luck with Sims Guide waders. They have a lot of options on sizing so you get a good fit.

I used Sims boots over my waders on my brown bear hunt. Bought a size big to fit warm socks. We walked a lot of mile on my hunt and the boots work good.

I agree with this^^^. I would just go straight to breathable chest waders, and Simms are the best made IMO. Much lighter wt. then those rubber hippers, and when coupled with a good wading boot, they're much nicer to walk around in all day, plus they provide a lot better protection.

I like Simms stocking foot waders and my old hiking boots.
They pack into a smaller package than conventional waders.
The best thing is I can turn them completely inside out and hang them to dry overnight.

I like hip waders a lot, but it always seems when I use them for hunting almost anything, I end up getting wet! I’d suggest cheat waders too.

Assuming you are going guided, ask the guide/outfitter what he recommends. I’m like lonedave; there’s no boot I can’t go over. Wet feet seem like a fact of life for me.

Another strong vote for Simms waders and boots...all the way.

I'm on year-10 with my G-4 waders, and they are still absolutely reliable. I bought G-4 boots with my waders...eventually wore out my boots two-years ago...no complaints, truly appreciated them for many years and adventures. Replaced them with G-3's, which are also excellent.

Last edited:
I'll echo the above and say Simms 100%

I've marched around for a week straight in a pair of G3 waders with these boots a few times and they were great.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240504_195437_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240504_195437_Chrome.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 27
I ran the frogg togg hellbender ll breathable waders and lived in them for a week this past season. I didn't bust brush with them for obvious durability reasons. But they worked great as I was the designated creek crosser to see if it was wheeler-able .. Another option if you want rubber hippers are the lacrosse hip boots. I hear tons of praise for them. For rubbers around camp or for a quick hike you can run xtratuffs, lacrosse or muck boots. I ran my redhead brand rubber/neoprene boot and those things flat out worked for me.

Another option if you want rubber hippers are the lacrosse hip boots. I hear tons of praise for them. For rubbers around camp or for a quick hike you can run xtratuffs, lacrosse or muck boots. I ran my redhead brand rubber/neoprene boot and those things flat out worked for me.
I like the rubber lacrosse hip waders for canoeing, have been comfortable and durable for me so far.
For rubber boot xtratuffs are a comfortable option. The Grundens boots are more durable, but I don’t like them as much on uneven terrain.

Any experience with paramount products? I can pick up a pair of there wading pants and boots for $300 vs $500 for simms. For a NBR caribou hunt and will most likely to only use again for creek trout fishing in WI

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I've been using the Simms G3 guide waders for hunting. I have had good success with them they are tough and so far, no leaks at all. I have the stocking foot waders and Simms wading boots, a size big for warm socks. I have put a lot of miles in this setup.

I am heading for a float hunt this year and taken simms with g3 boots. But there may be a several days we do a fair amount of hiking to gain elevation about a mile 1+ from the river. I am wondering if anyone has ever taken something similar to these for days when you are dominately on dry land. Would allow me to use the same boots, but just wear pants instead of the waders

I am heading for a float hunt this year and taken simms with g3 boots. But there may be a several days we do a fair amount of hiking to gain elevation about a mile 1+ from the river. I am wondering if anyone has ever taken something similar to these for days when you are dominately on dry land. Would allow me to use the same boots, but just wear pants instead of the waders

I wore my waders and Simms boots Brown Bear hunting all day long and put on several miles each day.

Anyone have issues with the wader bootie bunching up at the toe of the boot? I will be running Frog Togg hip waders with Simms Flyweight boots. I cant seem to keep the bootie/sock from bunching up, feels like I'm wearing a boot that's too small.

Ask your guide. I agree that Simms waders and wading boots are great. However, you said this would be an October hunt. With stocking foot waders your feet are going to be surrounded by cold wet relatively tight fitting neoprene all day long in those waders. I'm thinking that makes for some COOOOLD feet unless you are doing a lot of walking and not much sitting and moose hunting is often a sitting game. Depending on what your guide recommends, I would envision rubber Lacrosse insulated rubber hip boots sized up to accommodate heavy socks and/or BAMA booties or Lacrosse Alpha Burley insulated knee high rubber boots. Your feet will stay much warmer in those rubber boots as compared to wet neoprene wader booties. Again, depends on what your guides says but I wouldn't want cold feet all day long.

Back