How long to give a new pair to break in

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering the consensus on how long do people typically take to break in a new pair of boots? I've been struggling the last few years to find a pair that really suits me and my hunting conditions. I just grabbed a pair of zamberlan 960 guides in my size and the length is fine but I'm getting a bit of rubbing on my big toe.

The last few pairs of quality boots I've bought, I end up wearing well outside of the return window to find out that they just won't work for me and then I'm stuck with a pair that I don't want to wear on a hunt.

I think these guides will work but I guess what I'm asking is will they break in enough that the slight run rubbing on the big toe will cease or do I need to try something wider.

Boots that didn't work are, meindl vakuum, altberg defender, hanwag, aku leicht.

My old stand by boots are under armour and Danner and I wear keen for work. All of those break in fast and are comfortable but I'm assuming that's due to being lighter and crappier construction therefore more easily formed to the foot.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In my experience, boots that work best for me are ones that fit great out of the box. Still “break them in” , but it’s more of a formality than a necessity.

I know there are devices that are designed to stretch boots at a spot (your toe area for example), not sure of the cost or even their effectiveness.

I’ve never had a pair that the actual construction broke in and changed but I currently have a pair that I’m hoping the insole will flatten a little that is just foam and after a few more miles I should be ok

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
I fail to see the point of spending $400 + on a pair of boots that really aren’t more superior then some less expensive stuff
i have been wearing boots like redwings, Merrill, Jim Green and never had any problems, with finding a proper fit in the store ( never ever buy boots on the web)
lots of folks on here are trapped on buying status symbol boots , backpacks ect , imo
most of the time the cost is just higher because of import taxes, not quality of product

my Jim Green safari boots are better then Courtney @ 1/2 the price imo

2-3 days of walking around the ranch or daily wear is enough break in if you have the proper fit

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
My time is too valuable to me to waste trying to break in boots. I’ll pass if they don’t feel right in the store. In my experience, a good boot should just get better with a little use.

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

I am on my 9th pair of lowa renegade gtx. I buy them on the rei garage sale for $90. They are virtually brand new. 50 miles and they are broke in. Lite poly sock and wool outer.

Where is the toe rubbing? Maybe a half size longer will fit better.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

OP
B

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
It's rubbing on the outside of my big toe. Not the end. It's like I could almost use a wide pair bit they aren't available.

As far as trying on first, no local stores carry anything that I would consider a good boot.

Don't forget to check with the manufacturer as sometimes they have styles made on a different last that my have a wider toe box.

A few days, at most. Doesn't take long, if they're the right boot for whatever you're wanting to accomplish and the fit is right. Usually takes me about 3-5 days to "break in" a new pair of Inverno's.

TaperPin

WKR
Many times it’s just as valuable to toughen up your feet. My firefighting crew had a problem with blisters on the fire line - to fix it, all it took was requiring fire boots to be worn while we weren’t on fires.

Every boot and foot is different, but wearing them as often as possible is universally effective, even if you’re just in the house watching tv.

Agree with @mtwarden that a break in isn’t gonna resolve fit issues.

FWIW, I have wide fit and have had good fit and good out of the box comfort with Crispis in four different boot styles. I like he thors in a mid weight hiker.

the only boot I have bought in a while that I felt needed a decent break in was a pair of kenetrek mountain extremes.

I have been a fan of the walking them out wet approach to break in. I soak the boots in water and then wear them until dry making sure I get 2-5 miles on them. I wax / oil Them and call it done. I usually want to have +20 miLes on a pair of boots (ideally with some load) before I call them GTG.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't really think about it much. I try them on......if they fit and are comfortable, I wear them. If they need time to break in, I don't notice it.....I just wear them. My current main elk hunting boots are 10 years old. They need new soles, badly. They're the most comfortable boots I've ever worn, but they've been that way since the day I got them. They are Zamberlan's, made in Italy.

jpmulk

WKR
I often wonder if we (me included) have all just become pansy’s. Think about the thousands of soldiers through history who had to wear the one type fits all crap boot that the military provided. The civil war. The world wars. Vietnam and Korea. And then had to walk hundreds of miles in crap conditions. I must need to get tougher apparently with my overly expensive, cushy yet supportive $400 boot.

Desk jockey mentions how Crispi Thors fit his wider foot fine. But if he were to try the Valdres or Lapponia, they might not as they are built on different lasts. Crispi has 3 different lasts that they use so finding the correct one is key. I have contacted Scarpa because I have a narrow low volume foot and they recommended 3 styles for me. I wish the companies would give a list of the their lasts with what foot style they fit.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I often wonder if we (me included) have all just become pansy’s. Think about the thousands of soldiers through history who had to wear the one type fits all crap boot that the military provided. The civil war. The world wars. Vietnam and Korea. And then had to walk hundreds of miles in crap conditions. I must need to get tougher apparently with my overly expensive, cushy yet supportive $400 boot.
I've always thought that I must have the most trouble free feet on the planet, reading all the boot threads on here. I buy, I wear, and I go. Always have.