How long to give a new pair to break in

TaperPin

WKR
Just wondering the consensus on how long do people typically take to break in a new pair of boots? I've been struggling the last few years to find a pair that really suits me and my hunting conditions. I just grabbed a pair of zamberlan 960 guides in my size and the length is fine but I'm getting a bit of rubbing on my big toe.

The last few pairs of quality boots I've bought, I end up wearing well outside of the return window to find out that they just won't work for me and then I'm stuck with a pair that I don't want to wear on a hunt.

I think these guides will work but I guess what I'm asking is will they break in enough that the slight run rubbing on the big toe will cease or do I need to try something wider.

Boots that didn't work are, meindl vakuum, altberg defender, hanwag, aku leicht.

My old stand by boots are under armour and Danner and I wear keen for work. All of those break in fast and are comfortable but I'm assuming that's due to being lighter and crappier construction therefore more easily formed to the foot.
Those are nice boots - I had a similarly constructed boot and the leather does take a little time to conform to the foot, or at least loosen up enough that it’s not fighting your foot as much. The rubber band that goes up the sides restrains the leather somewhat, but it will eventually relax a bit. Maybe you said and I missed it, but what part of your big toe is getting the friction? The front of the boot will get a little wider with use and that can help if its too much pressure on the leather side of the big toe. With some boots, soaking them in water can greatly speed up break in, but I bring a lot of socks and change out very quickly to keep skin dry so blisters don’t start. Even though they are gortex your foot sweat can’t excape as easily with wet boots.

A shoe shop that deals with custom orthopedic shoes might be able to help. I know someone who had a custom shaped shoe stretcher that was placed in shoes while not being worn to keep the leather pushed out as much as possible.

Thats a perfect rough country boot - hope it’s an easy fix.

Beendare

WKR
The trend is to go to a lighter boot- almost a lite hiker with no break in. I used those for decades.

Then, I found out my feet feel better on a long hunt in a stiffer more supportive boot…plus my feet don’t slide around on steep side hills going off trail- thats where the more supportive boots shine.

The Hoffmans are fantastic. Yep, they are heavy and they need 30-40 miles of breakin. Once you do, they are like putting on an old friend, super comfortable and they hold up much longer than the lighter boots- some I was going through 2 pair a season. You get used to the weight…but the main advantage to me is my feet and ankles feel better At the end of the day.

OP
B

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Those are nice boots - I had a similarly constructed boot and the leather does take a little time to conform to the foot, or at least loosen up enough that it’s not fighting your foot as much. The rubber band that goes up the sides restrains the leather somewhat, but it will eventually relax a bit. Maybe you said and I missed it, but what part of your big toe is getting the friction? The front of the boot will get a little wider with use and that can help if its too much pressure on the leather side of the big toe. With some boots, soaking them in water can greatly speed up break in, but I bring a lot of socks and change out very quickly to keep skin dry so blisters don’t start. Even though they are gortex your foot sweat can’t excape as easily with wet boots.

A shoe shop that deals with custom orthopedic shoes might be able to help. I know someone who had a custom shaped shoe stretcher that was placed in shoes while not being worn to keep the leather pushed out as much as possible.

Thats a perfect rough country boot - hope it’s an easy fix.
I think I'm going to give them some time. There's just a bit of rubbing on the outside side of my big toe. It's only on the left foot so I'm pretty sure it will go away during break in. If not I can always tape up before a hunt.

TaperPin

WKR
Those are plenty stiff for the roughest rocky slopes - they should be great mountain boots. :)

OP
B

bigunit

Lil-Rokslider
Just to update. I wore these for a 5 mile hike yesterday. They are going to work just fine. I had a slight hot spot on the top of my foot at the end but i laced them so the toe area was a bit loose and I'm really liking the fit now. These will be my new go to boots. Going to wear them at work all week this week.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
I try on boots with my actual hiking socks and favorite insoles in the store or in my house, wearing them at least until my feet are hot and begin to sweat. This lets the leather warm and the foot to settle in. Potential hotspots and length/width issues then become easier to identify. If the boot is 90% good out of the box at this point, I'll keep walking around for a good hour, perhaps doing some indoor stairs. THe boots are still "new" and returnable at this point.
Actual break-in for me is just creating a little extra width as the insulation/materials pack out a little. I don't count on break-in to address length or hotspot issues. I find that 10-15 miles of hiking will mostly finish the break-in process once I've purchased a boot. My Lowa Tibet and Schnees Granite 200g both fit well after using this process.