I know I'm opening a can of worms here, but new bow suggestions?

redarm31

FNG
I'll start with the two bows I've own have been Mathews and that's mainly because the guy who got me into hunting used a Mathews. I did well with both. I'm looking at getting a new bow and was open to suggestions. After 4 shoulder surgeries I much before a smooth draw over speed but of course would love both. I did shoot the phase 4 and it was really smooth but at the same time the bow is so damn heavy after you get everything on it. One thing I hate about Mathews is logging them around in the woods. Are the lighter options going to have as smooth as a draw? I've tried to find comparisons online and do my research but can' really find a great overall review. I mainly Treestand hunt as well for whitetails but will hike in at times. And any input is much appreciated!

OP
redarm31

redarm31

FNG
I do but it's Tipton gun vise so have never used it as a bow press?

Luked

WKR
I would shoot as many as you can.
I like my V3X 33 and it is heavy, but I prefer a heavy bow to a light one.
visit as many shops as possible. Make sure also that the shop you pick is also easy to work or deal with, especially since you do not have a press. Makes a huge difference. Thats the main reason I bought a press and do as much stuff on my own as I can since the closest shop I have to me is over an hour from me.

Shoot as many as you can is the right answer. A lot of good bows out there. Comes down to preference for the shooter. I've tried bows where my friend hated the draw cycle but I loved it. Carbon bows can offer weight savings but you pay a premium for them.

What dealers are around you?

feanor

WKR
Pse makes some light bows. They feel like kids bows but I shoot a heavy bow, so it’s relative I guess.

PSE with the evolve cam or EC2 cam is about as smooth as youll get. Bowtech SS34 of CP30 depending on what ATA youre looking for is a smooth draw on the comfort setting. Draw cycles are like boots, everyone feels something different. Id just go on a archery shop tour to shoot as many as you can.

As far as weight, most aluminum bare bows just arent going to feel all that much different. Accessories are where you can make a difference, but its some sacrifice. Stabs are probably where you can shave the most weight. No stab/short stab vs a front and back bar with weight on each can be a pretty big difference. A simple black gold fixed pin vs something like a fast eddie xl. Hell even a whisker biscuit vs a drop away saves weight. Those are all sacrifices youll have to think about if you are trying to cut weight down.

The only ones that I really notice the difference in weight is going to PSE carbon in the Mach 34 and Levitate. Like someone mentioned above, I prefer a slightly heavy bow. The Carbon PSEs def feel lighter though.

Last edited:
OP
redarm31

redarm31

FNG
I did shoot a levitate with the faster than ec2 cams but not the crazy aggressive one and liked it but just don’t know much on it. So thought I might love it with ex cams. I’m in Nashville area. I’m open to the levitate def but with pse they really only had one demo in shop to shoot. And just really only know mathews but both the guys there shot pse.

If carrying weight is important to you, carbon bows start around 3.5 lbs bare vs. ≈4.5 lbs for a bare Mathews. It's your call if 1 lb is worth the extra money for carbon.

Smoothness is highly subjective and can vary for a given bow at different draw length/weight settings. Speed and smoothness are generally competing goals, but any modern compound will have speed to spare. Shoot everything your local shop(s) have to offer and judge the smoothness for yourself. I would recommend sticking with a brand your local shop carries if you're going to be depending on them for service and tuning.

I do but it's Tipton gun vise so have never used it as a bow press?
If this is what you have, it's not a bow press. Looks like it would do a great job of holding a bow while you mount accessories, tie a d-loop, etc, but it can't press a bow. A press contacts the bow at/near the limb tips and pushes (or pulls depending on the design) the limb tips toward each other to relax the tension on the string and cables, which is necessary for changing the string/cables, installing a peep sight, and making various tuning adjustments.
tipton-ultra-gun-vise_global_mounted-bow.jpg

n8saki

FNG
I don't own one now, but considering your details I'd check out the carbon PSEs. Ended up liking Mathews and Hoyt of which I own both. You may also consider getting the shoulder strap from Mathews that you can attach to the SCS system, or fix it to your pack as you walk in.

OP
redarm31

redarm31

FNG
PSE with the evolve cam or EC2 cam is about as smooth as youll get. Bowtech SS34 of CP30 depending on what ATA youre looking for is a smooth draw on the comfort setting. Draw cycles are like boots, everyone feels something different. Id just go on a archery shop tour to shoot as many as you can.

As far as weight, most aluminum bare bows just arent going to feel all that much different. Accessories are where you can make a difference, but its some sacrifice. Stabs are probably where you can shave the most weight. No stab/short stab vs a front and back bar with weight on each can be a pretty big difference. A simple black gold fixed pin vs something like a fast eddie xl. Hell even a whisker biscuit vs a drop away saves weight. Those are all sacrifices youll have to think about if you are trying to cut weight down.

The only ones that I really notice the difference in weight is going to PSE carbon in the Mach 34 and Levitate. Like someone mentioned above, I prefer a slightly heavy bow. The Carbon PSEs def feel lighter though.
what do you mean by black gold pin? like a bee stinger type?

what do you mean by black gold pin? like a bee stinger type?

Just saying the weight of a black gold fixed pin sight (like the rush) is going to save weight over something like a spot hogg fast eddie xl slider.

Basically if you stick with aluminum, the accessories and stab configuation is going to be where you make a real difference in weight. Otherwise the PSE carbons are the only bows that you feel a difference in bare bow weight.

OP
redarm31

redarm31

FNG
I don't own one now, but considering your details I'd check out the carbon PSEs. Ended up liking Mathews and Hoyt of which I own both. You may also consider getting the shoulder strap from Mathews that you can attach to the SCS system, or fix it to your pack as you walk in.
I thought about that. Is that shoulder strap a big difference? I've used the after market ones and never worked well.

OP
redarm31

redarm31

FNG
yeah I still haven't killed a deer a with my timberghost. That's prob what I should focus on lol

SloppyJ

WKR
This will be my second season with my RX7 Ultra and I really like it. I went back to a bigger bow and I'm glad I did. I shoot it at 80# so my opinion might be skewed but I find it pretty smooth drawing. I imagine it around 60lbs would be amazing.

This will be my second season with my RX7 Ultra and I really like it. I went back to a bigger bow and I'm glad I did. I shoot it at 80# so my opinion might be skewed but I find it pretty smooth drawing. I imagine it around 60lbs would be amazing.
yea bc its 34 ata and 7 in brace it feels easier to pull on the backend than the regular rx7 and phase 4s but the tradeoff is it's slower. but i wouldnt pay the extra for carbon, a heavier bow is steadier anyways. just go shoot a bunch op.

SloppyJ

WKR
yea bc its 34 ata and 7 in brace it feels easier to pull on the backend than the regular rx7 and phase 4s but the tradeoff is it's slower. but i wouldnt pay the extra for carbon, a heavier bow is steadier anyways. just go shoot a bunch op.
I quit chasing speed a few years ago. All it led to was unnecessary frustration. I taught myself to shoot left handed due to eye issues when I was 30 with a Mathews No Cam. By far the slowest bow I've shot since I learned lefty but I'll be damned if it wasn't the most accurate and forgiving. I wish I kept that thing. It made me look way better than I actually am.