I might never buy from backcountry.com again!

I hate crap like this, it’s the same thing InBev/Budweiser does to small brewers. File ridiculous lawsuits they know they will lose because they’ve got money to waste and know the little guys don’t. They want you to have no o there option but to drink their garbage.

Trademark protection should extend to knock off competitors trying to confuse customers into buying from them, based on your reputation, advertising, etc. That’s it.

ODB

WKR
Pathetic. Way to encourage the next the next generation of outdoor entrepreneurs. The fact that it seems they are hammering people they know can’t fight back is really idiotic. I mean hell, if you want their business, buy it, don’t just threaten a lawsuit because you have money.

an acquaintance in Africa is being sued for something similar because of the use of the ampersand in the company’s name. Another company claimed they did it first.

brsnow

WKR
People complain China steals intellectual property and then bash a company protecting their trademark...classic

keller

WKR
that's a bunch of BS I have bought a lot of stuff from backcountry and have had good service. does anyone know if moosejaw is affiliated with backcountry? they seem to have the same stuff same sales at the same time all the time?

Htm84

WKR
that's a bunch of BS I have bought a lot of stuff from backcountry and have had good service. does anyone know if moosejaw is affiliated with backcountry? they seem to have the same stuff same sales at the same time all the time?

Wal-Mart owns moosejaw

K

Kootenay Hunter

Yes, it has to make things confusing (similar products) to have a case. Interestingly enough, you can also have a trademark that's not registered and still win a case if you can prove it's a known brand associated with a product.

Filing for a trademark usually is a double check for you that nobody else is using it, and then subsequently for other that you're using it.

Yeti - bicycle company around since the 80's....and cooler/lifestyle brand company since 2006.

I wonder how many flatbillers saw a yeti bike and bought it thinking it was the YETI brand bike...

There's a whole economy about predatory litigation in this sort of thing. I bet the namesake was part of the equity firm's acquisition plan.

OP
backcountryshaffer
Wal-Mart owns moosejaw

I didn't realize that. I hate to bag on Wal-Mart because I have 2 family members that support their families with that company...but...I don't like Wal-Mart. I prefer to *not* give them my money.