Idaho Spring Bear

MTN BUM

Lil-Rokslider
ID has a constitutional right to hunt, fish, and trap. WA doesn't. They'll play hell trying that in ID.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I really hope you are right. I have not noticed constitutional rights being paid much attention, unless you happen to have the right political affiliation.

KG92

FNG
ID has a constitutional right to hunt, fish, and trap. WA doesn't. They'll play hell trying that in ID.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
WA also has a more robust state constitutional protection for the right to bear arms than the US constitution, and that hasn’t stopped the commies from passing insane illegal gun control last year and again this year. It’s a nice gesture but I don’t have much faith in those sort of constitutional state enshrinements. Speaking as a former resident of WA.

However, I somewhat disagree with the fact that ID and MT are next. Both states have gotten redder since 2020 and especially since 2016. Most people I meet who have recently moved here are extremely conservative and want to keep their new state that way. A glimmer of hope. Speaking as a current resident of ID.

WA also has a more robust state constitutional protection for the right to bear arms than the US constitution, and that hasn’t stopped the commies from passing insane illegal gun control last year and again this year. It’s a nice gesture but I don’t have much faith in those sort of constitutional state enshrinements. Speaking as a former resident of WA.

However, I somewhat disagree with the fact that ID and MT are next. Both states have gotten redder since 2020 and especially since 2016. Most people I meet who have recently moved here are extremely conservative and want to keep their new state that way. A glimmer of hope. Speaking as a current resident of ID.
I hope you are right!

A hunt residents should be happy to help with. Come have a great time and kill a bear. Montana and Wyoming also have good spring bear hunting. Spot and stalk is lots of fun and totally doable for hunting. On multiple trips I've spotted bears on day one.

Nonresidents wondering where to go have lots of options. The units with the most bears killed, say top three, are well known. They're good and have a lot of bears killed to some extent because of their popularity. Not crazy busy in those units from my experience but also kind of nice to get off the beaten track a bit more.

Salmon, McCall, Sawtooth, Beaverhead, Lemhi all have at least decent bear numbers. The Middle Fork and Selway Zones are not very accessible due to high country access points until Mid June or later when the bear hunting starts to drop off or get closed. You could target a mid June backcountry hunt in there and make it work but access will be a challenge and the bear hunting won’t be easy that late and in huge country. You could also do a fly-in hunt earlier in the season when the greenup is closer to the river and animals are closer to winter range. That would likely be a better hunt. You could have a wolf, lion, bear combo hunt and just an amazing time in deep backcountry. The other main access point to the Selway and Salmon Zones is along the river roads. Steep hiking but a good number of bears if you hike away from access points.

In general, for the average guy not messing with the lower priced tags which are more difficult to access and rugged to get around will make for a more successful hunt. Buy full price and go for it.

Throughout the state, you'll want to do your research to see if the road you're planning on taking will be open. Anything above 5,000 feet is a red flag. Call the forest service office and post on here if you want about the roads. Look at Snotel and information available online about snowpack. Many will be closed or impassable. You might be good for a while and then hit a snowbank. A common good approach is to find a lower elevation road and hike up from there. 4 wheelers are very helpful for getting around when access might be hit or miss.

Northern Idaho has more bears generally speaking than south and central Idaho. Panhandle, Clearwater, and Lolo areas can be productive. You will have to plan for how you hunt with all the dense timber but there are bears around and more wolves up there too.

Pioneer and more desert units south of I-84 don't have a lot of bears.

Normally the later part of April through early June the hunting can be good. May is a nice middle ground. You might want to hunt a little lower or higher depending on the timing.

Feel free to PM. Depending on volume and where you're looking, I might be able to help. I don't know that much about the areas north of the Salmon River Breaks. Anything south of that I've probably ventured through and hunted at least a little for some critter.
Lots of good info there… if guys want to do a fly in hunt in the middle fork call Pete with middle fork aviation.

He’s a great guy and really good pilot. Lots of bears in the middle fork drainages.

Think I counted 7 in one day. Good luck.

Lots of good info there… if guys want to do a fly in hunt in the middle fork call Pete with middle fork aviation.

He’s a great guy and really good pilot. Lots of bears in the middle fork drainages.

Think I counted 7 in one day. Good luck.
What does something like that run a guy?

It’s spendy but if you get a few guys to spilt the cost its not as bad… think for a Cessna 182 it was 1400$ in and out…

Plus 100$ cash tip

You can fit 3 guys plus a decent amount of gear…

He has a beaver too depending on how many guys you have…

The middle fork is really tough country. There’s not many critters…

Lots of wolves. But we could have tagged a nice elk and some really nice deer if I wasn’t hunting a sheep tag.

We were in very deep. 15 miles from the air strip. I always wanted to hunt the late season mule deer rut tag.

There’s not much water up high so bring extra bladders to hold water.

Good luck.

Hey all, long time lurker, first time post. Looking at heading to ID in mid-May to chase some bears with a few other guys. I was curious if anyone has gotten out in the northern half of the state and checked out the snow situation or what folks' read is on the snowpack this year? I've read in some other posts not to count your chickens on winter just yet, and the first week of March looks promising but still looks like it could be a light year.

Does anybody have any experience with how different it is on years where we ride the min SWE line so closely? (bears more spread out, bears higher sooner, etc?). Planning to call some local biologists when the time gets closer too but would love any personal experience anyone is willing to share!
1709829747542.png

In the spirit of give and take and this thread in general, figured I'd share a few resources that I'm using for e-scouting.

Satellite (historical imagery): can be hit or miss with cloud cover, but I've found this to be pretty useful as there are more frequent updates. No the highest resolution, but you can get an idea where snow is and isn't.

Traffic Cams: Just recently discovered this, huge database of traffic cam imagery, helps me get an idea what elevations snow is and isn't at.

Best of luck this spring, 2 months out and I'm getting pumped!!

hwy1strat

WKR
North Idaho has been getting pounded with snow the last few weeks. The local ski resort, Schweitzer, has gotten 5 feet of snow in the last 7 days. Winter ain't over and it's too early to tell when certain areas will start to open up. Mid-may is probably a safe bet, but it will most likely still require you to search for access and green-up once you're on the ground

KG92

FNG
Hey all, long time lurker, first time post. Looking at heading to ID in mid-May to chase some bears with a few other guys. I was curious if anyone has gotten out in the northern half of the state and checked out the snow situation or what folks' read is on the snowpack this year? I've read in some other posts not to count your chickens on winter just yet, and the first week of March looks promising but still looks like it could be a light year.

Does anybody have any experience with how different it is on years where we ride the min SWE line so closely? (bears more spread out, bears higher sooner, etc?). Planning to call some local biologists when the time gets closer too but would love any personal experience anyone is willing to share!
View attachment 683915

In the spirit of give and take and this thread in general, figured I'd share a few resources that I'm using for e-scouting.

Satellite (historical imagery): can be hit or miss with cloud cover, but I've found this to be pretty useful as there are more frequent updates. No the highest resolution, but you can get an idea where snow is and isn't.

Traffic Cams: Just recently discovered this, huge database of traffic cam imagery, helps me get an idea what elevations snow is and isn't at.

I live in unit 2. We've been getting a ton of late snow. For reference, right now, in my area, anywhere above 3,000ft is inaccessible to motorized travel unless you've got a sled or tracks.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it will end up being a normal April/May for access and snow. Your timeframe should be fine. I'm hitting some lower areas at the end of April myself.

DJR918

FNG
Looking to hunt spring bear in Idaho for the first time…

My head is spinning on if I should get a reduced price tag or go with the regular tag.
I have been looking into 20 and 20a, but seems like without a jet boat or chartering a flight, The Salmon poses as a big obstacle that is not likely doable in May? I’m probably not in a situation to pay for a plane or boat ride.

So looking at options, for the regular tags with better access also, like 39, 33, 43 but I’m a complete rookie when it comes to this hunt. A backpack hunt for 5-7 days in some cool country is what I’m after. I know I’m over thinking it all but any input would be great!

hwy1strat

WKR

My head is spinning on if I should get a reduced price tag or go with the regular tag.
I have been looking into 20 and 20a, but seems like without a jet boat or chartering a flight, The Salmon poses as a big obstacle that is not likely doable in May? I’m probably not in a situation to pay for a plane or boat ride.

So looking at options, for the regular tags with better access also, like 39, 33, 43 but I’m a complete rookie when it comes to this hunt. A backpack hunt for 5-7 days in some cool country is what I’m after. I know I’m over thinking it all but any input would be great!
Just pick a unit and go. If all you’re after is a backpack trip then you’ll definitely be able to find that😂

There are bears everywhere. The name of the game is to figure out where they are in the area you picked.

drpnw

FNG

View attachment 683915

you can throw usgs water levels in there also

From what I've read (maybe way back in this thread, but also in other sources) the 2 tag reduced price units are generally that way because of higher bear populations and they want people taking more so I'll be saving the $$ and going reduced tag units for sure. That doesn't answer your question on access, but to @hwy1strat 's point, don't limit yourself on units for no reason. We really spun our wheels last year trying to pick an area, didn't end up making the trip for other reasons, but this year we just picked an area and are diving in. Worst case it'll be a fun time!

MHWASH

WKR
From what I've read (maybe way back in this thread, but also in other sources) the 2 tag reduced price units are generally that way because of higher bear populations and they want people taking more so I'll be saving the $$ and going reduced tag units for sure. That doesn't answer your question on access, but to @hwy1strat 's point, don't limit yourself on units for no reason. We really spun our wheels last year trying to pick an area, didn't end up making the trip for other reasons, but this year we just picked an area and are diving in. Worst case it'll be a fun time!
These areas are typically difficult to access, thus there are more bears. As an incentive to hunt these areas IDFG sells the tags at a reduced cost.

These areas are typically difficult to access, thus there are more bears. As an incentive to hunt these areas IDFG sells the tags at a reduced cost.
Interesting, i didnt know that. Is that from a private/public land standpoint or from a super rough country standpoint, or more likely a mix of both?

MOwhitetail

Lil-Rokslider
The higher population aspect of the reduced prices units makes sense, but in reality I don’t think that’s entirely it. Two years ago me and a buddy went and were hunting in one of the reduced price units. Didn’t see any sign or any bears for 5 days even though we were a long ways off the beaten path. Ran into a couple locals and they said the bear numbers in that area were really low and gave us another spot to try a few hours away (in a full price unit). Ended up having a great hunt in the new spot. I talked to a biologist from the area a year later and they said it deals more with population objectives, how the bear population affects other animals, and hunter numbers than it does purely bear numbers. Moral of my story would be not to limit yourself with a reduced price tag. I’m glad we bought full price when we went two years ago so we were able to hunt a different area when the first didn’t work out.