Idaho Spring Bear

Hi all. Appreciate the wealth of information in this thread.

Question for anyone with baiting experience. Is it worth it to attempt to set up a bait site or two for an 8-10 day trip? In your experience how long does it take for bears to hit up a bait site assuming there's bears in the area and the bait is well done.

Thanks for any insight!
In my experience, bears will be most likely to find a bait site quickly if it is later in the season. When I put out bait on opening day in mid April it can take a couple weeks before the bait gets hit. There have been a couple times when I have started baits later in the season in mid to late May and in June when I've had bears find the bait within 2-3 days.

I wouldn't do it as my only tactic for an 8-10 day trip although I have read stories from hunters who did it successfully. I could see trying it if you are also going to be doing spot and stalk and then throwing out a bait site as another option.

Depends a lot on the bait site, and what you’re using to lure them in honestly. I have one site that gets hit the night I set it up and hammered as long as I have it up. Then again, I’ve had others like that, but then for one reason or another are left completely alone the next year.

DKE34

FNG
In my experience, bears will be most likely to find a bait site quickly if it is later in the season. When I put out bait on opening day in mid April it can take a couple weeks before the bait gets hit. There have been a couple times when I have started baits later in the season in mid to late May and in June when I've had bears find the bait within 2-3 days.

I wouldn't do it as my only tactic for an 8-10 day trip although I have read stories from hunters who did it successfully. I could see trying it if you are also going to be doing spot and stalk and then throwing out a bait site as another option.
Thank you! Good to know. We're planning on going late May and that's exactly what we were thinking of doing.

DKE34

FNG
Depends a lot on the bait site, and what you’re using to lure them in honestly. I have one site that gets hit the night I set it up and hammered as long as I have it up. Then again, I’ve had others like that, but then for one reason or another are left completely alone the next year.
Thank you. If you don't mind sharing, what works best for you to bring them in?

Jake T

FNG
Trying to better understand access, when the forest service opens the roads on whatever day, are the roads then fully usable from a conditions standpoint? Meaning, has the forest service been behind the gate clearing brush and downed trees etc, so that on opening day, the road is usable?

Or do road repairs start after the gate is unlocked so it’s possible the road might be open, but still impassable?

Trying to better understand access, when the forest service opens the roads on whatever day, are the roads then fully usable from a conditions standpoint? Meaning, has the forest service been behind the gate clearing brush and downed trees etc, so that on opening day, the road is usable?

Or do road repairs start after the gate is unlocked so it’s possible the road might be open, but still impassable?
From my experience, no. They open the gate and walk away it seems haha. We’ve always brought chainsaws, shovels and trax. Usually had to use them as well.

Negative. The FS rarely does maintenance on roads with gates. As noted above, have a saw, shovel and a tow strap or chain. Idaho pinstripes are complimentary on a lot of non system roads.

Negative. The FS rarely does maintenance on roads with gates. As noted above, have a saw, shovel and a tow strap or chain. Idaho pinstripes are complimentary on a lot of non system roads.
This.

I’ve also found a lot of roads are only cut out wide enough for a side by side and are either impassable or VERY tight for a full size pickup.

Last edited:

lak2004

WKR
Forest service and maintenance only go hand and hand when they have a timber sale or something. Otherwise, good luck!

ELKOHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider

I'll add to what the others have said. Don't go anywhere up there without a chain saw. A slight breeze and the road is blocked. Easy to find videos on YouTube prove this very point. You won't always have a group in a dually truck to snap trees off and open the road.

DJR918

FNG
Are the full price non resident general tags valid in the reduced price areas? May be a duh question but I’m not as familiar with Idaho’s tag and unit system

NLenz22

FNG
Hi all, I’ve been following this thread for about a year now. I’m glad to see it’s still going strong.

My buddy and I are planning an Idaho spring bear trip for the second week of May. It’s our first trip out west, so our only goal is to enjoy the experience, and work hard enough we don’t feel like we left anything on the table if we don’t come home with a bear.

I’ve been e-scouting pretty heavily in unit 39 for various reasons, but also because we already have a 21hr drive to Idaho, so I’d like to not spend another 6 or 8 hours driving across the state. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the access that time of year? I’m looking at an area east of the Boise River in the central part of the unit. By the sound of things this year it shouldn’t be much of a problem by mid-May, but always good to check.

Also, if would anyone be willing to chat in the DM’s I would love to get opinions on the specific areas I plan to check out. My main concern is that I’m either heading into an area that is heavily hunted, or that I’m wasting time in an area known to not hold many bears. As long as we’re heading to an area where we have a decent opportunity, we’re willing to burn the boot leather and see what we turn up.

Thanks in advance for any help, and to all who have contributed in the past. This thread has been super helpful in planning this trip so far.

Hi all, I’ve been following this thread for about a year now. I’m glad to see it’s still going strong.

My buddy and I are planning an Idaho spring bear trip for the second week of May. It’s our first trip out west, so our only goal is to enjoy the experience, and work hard enough we don’t feel like we left anything on the table if we don’t come home with a bear.

I’ve been e-scouting pretty heavily in unit 39 for various reasons, but also because we already have a 21hr drive to Idaho, so I’d like to not spend another 6 or 8 hours driving across the state. I was wondering if anyone had any insight on the access that time of year? I’m looking at an area east of the Boise River in the central part of the unit. By the sound of things this year it shouldn’t be much of a problem by mid-May, but always good to check.

Also, if would anyone be willing to chat in the DM’s I would love to get opinions on the specific areas I plan to check out. My main concern is that I’m either heading into an area that is heavily hunted, or that I’m wasting time in an area known to not hold many bears. As long as we’re heading to an area where we have a decent opportunity, we’re willing to burn the boot leather and see what we turn up.

Thanks in advance for any help, and to all who have contributed in the past. This thread has been super helpful in planning this trip so far.
Mid-May should be fine, 39 is such a popular area with great access that it’s hunt-able just about the whole bear season.

I would also add that in a spring bear season pressure doesn’t really exist unless you’re in a heavily baited area. Not that many people get after it in the spot and stalk game.

Just pick a spot that’s .5 or more miles from a road and has decent vertical. I’ve never seen another hunter in bear season.

You won’t be able to put your car on most FS roads though, plan on staying on basic mountain roads and hiking up some steep sh*t.

I’d also recommend buying/applying permethrin to your clothing, ticks will be everywhere in 39, I know from experience 😔.

id_jon

WKR
Mid-May should be fine, 39 is such a popular area with great access that it’s hunt-able just about the whole bear season.

I would also add that in a spring bear season pressure doesn’t really exist unless you’re in a heavily baited area. Not that many people get after it in the spot and stalk game.

Just pick a spot that’s .5 or more miles from a road and has decent vertical. I’ve never seen another hunter in bear season.

You won’t be able to put your car on most FS roads though, plan on staying on basic mountain roads and hiking up some steep sh*t.

I’d also recommend buying/applying permethrin to your clothing, ticks will be everywhere in 39, I know from experience 😔.
Permethrin works wonders. 4 spring seasons in 39 and zero ticks for me.