Is it worth it to go to a 0 degree SG Chilkoot bag?

Can someone explain to me the value of the SG bag over something like a Western Mountaineering or a Feathered Friends?
It’s about $115 between the SG and the WM badger, if you’re paying full price. Allegedly the SG is 5 ounces lighter. That probably doesn’t matter to most people. Both are from reputable companies. Both have good reviews from people who put a hell of a lot more nights on the mountain than I do.
It probably comes down too if you like silver, or a green.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Can someone explain to me the value of the SG bag over something like a Western Mountaineering or a Feathered Friends?
Spec out a Cumulus in that 15 degree F range and see what you come up with. They offer custom options, Pertex shell materials and 850-900fp down.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Matt5266

WKR
Just ordered a 0 degree today. I have a Big Agnes Mystic 15 UL. It's a nice bag but last year when it got down to 18 I froze. I agree with the idea of I'd rather have it and not need it on late hunts..if I get to hot I'll unzip it or use like a quilt.

Spec out a Cumulus in that 15 degree F range and see what you come up with. They offer custom options, Pertex shell materials and 850-900fp down.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Is Cumulus a whole different brand? Or a model of the brands we've discussed?

TaperPin

WKR
Nice dry cold is easy to stay warm in - sleet and snow all day and 100% humidity when going to sleep and below freezing temps at night, rinse and repeat for most of a week and you’ll be glad to have a zero degree bag. It just makes sense to have a bag for summer/fall and a warmer bag for wet fall/winter use.

brolo

FNG
I have the FF Lark YF 10 deg bag, its great. Compared to the SG, they both have the same pertex shell (different names). The lark uses 900 fill down that’s not hydrophobically treated (jury is out how effective treatment is vs untreated). The reg lark is 6” shorter than SG, which is cut like an industry standard long. The Lark is lighter than both SG models.

@Dos Perros , WM doesn't use hydrophobic treated down. SG does. The WM badger mf and Kodiak mf both have slightly higher denier shells and a touch more down fill.

I just sold a new 15F chilkoot I had picked up recently and bought a new unused chilkoot 0 on here. I realized that even though I don't regularly camp at 0F, I do end up sleeping near streams at 20F and that is friggin cold. Also, using the bag as a blanket instead of a bag works well to be slightly cooler.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Nice dry cold is easy to stay warm in - sleet and snow all day and 100% humidity when going to sleep and below freezing temps at night, rinse and repeat for most of a week and you’ll be glad to have a zero degree bag. It just makes sense to have a bag for summer/fall and a warmer bag for wet fall/winter use.
Bingo.

sndmn11

WKR
I have a WM Astralite and Kodiak. I use the quilt 90% of the time, even into single digits. It really opened my eyes to the concept that over-insulating can result in being colder and poor sleep. Sweating and then venting to get evaporative cooling seems like a logical reason for that.

I'd be interested in adding SG's quilt just to have it as a backup, but being over length turns me off because I know it adds weight and is space I have to heat.

I had read most of it back when that was posted but don't remember the details. Do you have a cliff notes version?

I tried to find the specific part, but my recollection is that the WM with no hydrophobic down didn't perform any worse than the Kuiu which of course does utilize the hydrophobic down. The test was leaving it out in the rain. Both bags were pretty soaked.

I have a Rab jacket with hydrophobic down and it's utility isn't quite so apparent to me. It'd definitely not a silver bullet. I'm not even sure if it's a bullet of any sort.

I tried to find the specific part, but my recollection is that the WM with no hydrophobic down didn't perform any worse than the Kuiu which of course does utilize the hydrophobic down. The test was leaving it out in the rain. Both bags were pretty soaked.

I have a Rab jacket with hydrophobic down and it's utility isn't quite so apparent to me. It'd definitely not a silver bullet. I'm not even sure if it's a bullet of any sort.
Got it. That jogs my memory and I found that part of the test. Yes, neither bag actually soaked up any water.

I think it's very likely true the untreated natural down will last longer in WM bags. I went with the SG because of reports I've seen of people getting dampness in the WM bag down when in really damp humid conditions (condensation) or when getting in their bag with damp clothes, where they said the condensation or moisture seemed to migrate out of the bag better with the SG.

I tend to only use my hunting down gear for hunting and try to be as gentle as possible with it, so hopefully the down longevity is not an issue with my SG