Keen Boots?

OP
F
Perhaps the OP (@Farmingdale's Finest) can report on where his search for a good boot led him as this thread is nearly two years old now...

I am on my third brand of boots since I first posted above.

I started off based upon what I had read here The Lowa Camino's in 12 wide. They are the best made boot I have seen. Based upon the reviews most said they ran large and with my success with a 12wide in the keens I ordereed a 12 wide in their boot. It was great for a little over a month but as the boot broke in the roof of the boot started to put crazy pressure on the top of my foot and I had to abandon them.

I then went to the Salomon Quest 4d's in 13. I had the opportunity to try on the 12's and they felt snug but not horrible in the store so I ordered a 13 and while I never got a blister after a year they were never as comfortable as the Keens I had in both 12 wide and 13 medium. I believe if they offered this boot in a wide they would have been great.

I then found a Pair of Cabela/ Meindl Denali's and they were the best in a 13 wide. These I used for this years elk hunt in NW Colorado. I never got a blister or any hotspots in about 85 miles training but did find I needed to tape a couple hot spots sidehilling on a 900 vertical foot in 1/3 mile drop into a drainage we hunted. Nothing I could have done in NJ could have duplicated the steepness at home in NJ. Unfortunately Bass Pro dropped them but the equivalent can be bought from Meindl USA with a PU mid sole and better Vibram sole vs what Cabelas had specked with the EVA mid sole. I will likley buy these again but I am pretty sure if I bought the Camino's in 13 wide they would be good. I was fortunate when Lowa wouldn't help me with the Camino's since I had worn them for a month they fit my son perfectly and he was able to do the hunt with me with no blisters or hot spots. He normally wears a 12 medium width and the wides were great for him.

Last edited: