Kestrel Glassing Systems Monopod - who has used one?

SDHNTR

WKR
They are a fantastic solution/compromise to lugging a traditional tripod along on a backpack hunt! I’m actually surprised we don’t hear more about them on here. Great tool.

Slowpoke

FNG
I used mine for the first time this weekend and was impressed. It was really nice to be able to pass the binoculars to my boys without having to get up and move like if we were using a tripod. It supported my 15x56 just fine and was so compact to carry.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
Thanks @SDHNTR ! The article alone was probably enough to make me order one, but I thought I would ask. Now to measure my binos... and my luck I will have both types.

BiG_Sea

FNG
This is one of those tools that you have to use to understand. Once I started using it, I have to think twice about carrying a tripod because the Kestrel covers 90% or more of my glassing while I’m away form my truck. It’s out, up, locked in and working so fast—it’s practical for spot n stalk where you’re moving but want to glass ahead regularly to avoid bumping something. I can get mine out, check ahead, then stow it and keep moving—all quick and quite, with my pack on.
It also works for longer glassing sessions—it holds the weight of your binos and is easir to point and acquire with than a tripod especially for those “look over there” moments.
And you can’t beat the weight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting a link to the review. I just heard about this a few weeks ago and I have tried to find videos and reviews but there isn’t much out on this product. I just wonder how sturdy they feel? Do they have any flex to them or are they rock solid? They just look to good to be true.

I have one. I actually know the author of the article and quizzed him on it a bit before I bought one.

I think it's a nice intermediate solution to steady your binos a bit without adding a ton of weight to the pack.

I used it a bit and it seemed to steady things up a bit. For my use, it'll probably work out to be a good investment.

macabra11

FNG
I met this designer/owner of the company while camping this past spring. We spent a couple days hanging out, drinking scotch and he let us try out this system. It was a nifty little package and takes up virtually no space/weight. The adjustability up/down is super easy and smooth with the 12x50 and 8x42 binos we tried with it. If you use multiple binos, just note that you may need different connectors for each one. Not a huge deal, as long as you make sure you have the right connector before you leave for you hunt.

He did say that there were multiple versions made for testing, and the plastic material was refined to be more sturdy than earlier models–same with the shock cord. With that being said, he had the first ever prototype ever made with him and it was still going strong.

While I think it is a neat piece of kit, I really didn't see it being worth $100 to me. But I am not a multi-day, backcountry hunter that carries in a tripod.

BiG_Sea

FNG
Thanks for posting a link to the review. I just heard about this a few weeks ago and I have tried to find videos and reviews but there isn’t much out on this product. I just wonder how sturdy they feel? Do they have any flex to them or are they rock solid? They just look to good to be true.

Mine doesn’t flex in any way I’ve noticed. The way the shock cord suspends your binos damps any unwanted movement anyways. They seem very solid—guaranteed, even—and I love mine.
If you want to read more, Wes Siler, the resident hunter at Outside mag did a piece on the Kestrel:

WyoWill

FNG
Awesome system well worth the money....tripod for bino glassing hasn't left home since I bought the kestrel. The shooting stick function hasn't been tested yet but im sure it will work great and have enough stability for shots at ethical hunting distances.

Q child

WKR
Hmm. Interesting product. Thanks for posting and bringing it to my attention. I might get one. Would work with my 15s it looks like.

OP
fwafwow

fwafwow

WKR
BTW, I ended up ordering and using one to glass on my Idaho elk hunt last year. It worked very well. I have not used it as a shooting stick, but will have to try that out too.

Milzie

FNG
Kestrel with a set of NL Pure’s and a forehead rest is my dream setup. Glad to hear it’s not all hype