Kifaru Ark vs Exo K4?

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
Going to western hunt expo to compare these 2...Any thoughts on which one I should pick? I am running Kuiu settup now but always wanting to try new thingsI

prm

WKR
I’ll know soon. Ark on the way to go with a Stryker XL and I currently have a K4 3600. Previously had a Hunter Duplex (I think that’s what it was called) and a variety of bags.

OP
Dodgeis4me

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll know soon. Ark on the way to go with a Stryker XL and I currently have a K4 3600. Previously had a Hunter Duplex (I think that’s what it was called) and a variety of bags.
Any reason you are switching from the k4?

prm

WKR
Well, it’s a good pack, carries weight comparably to my previous Kifaru, but I prefer the Stryker bag and the way it functions for the way I hunt. Except for packing into camp, or back out, most time is spent with a lighter day hunt load. The zippers and straps are a bit of a mess on the K4. In hindsight, I could use the lid better and not need to access the main bag during the day. That said, if the Ark does not manage the load, or fit well, for me, I’ll happily keep the K4.

work765

WKR
I’ve had a kifaru for years. Just sold it. And I plan to buy an Exo k4. I’ll be at the show on Saturday to check size and fit. I’m just changing to try something new and update my equipment.

My kifaru fit great, and hauled meat perfect! No complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Been running a duplex tactical against the K4. The K4 is a significant improvement for me over the K3. I haven’t been able to get the K4 lower to feel quite as good as the duplex tactical. The K4 lower feels like it rides nice on my body but the duplex tactical feels like part of my body if that makes sense. I am really interested to see if the Ark is the improvement that’s been advertised. I really like the Exo bags and the new Nalgene holder is legit. I have tried the X-curve, the K4, the duplex lite and the duplex tactical. I believe if someone only had experience with any one of those they’d be fine. It’s when you grab all of them that you can really determine what’s gonna be the best for you.

prm

WKR
I’ll add, I much prefer the Kifaru gun bearer. The K4 rifle carrier is great for traveling, but hit or miss on me being able to reach the release while wearing the pack. That is even after going to longer frame stays and replacing the frame back panel (required to go from 23.5 to 25”). Then, the butt holder is so tight on my stock it’s difficult to get off. And the upper clip scratches the stock. No chance I’m using that with my custom walnut stock. The nalgene holder and belt pocket are excellent. In fact, I’ll see if the exo belt pocket fits on the Ark.

I have no complaints about the Duplex. The ark is a carbon copy of it, and Id use the same 2 bags with it that I do on the duplex. Bedlam and Stryker XL. Both are perfect for their uses. If I didnt already have a duplex, Id buy the ark. The few ounces doesnt move the needle for me. Whenever they relese the new belt with the laser cut molle for sale on its own, Ill probably spring for that. Im curious to see how many people sell their duplex lites to get an ark though. I tried the k3, and it just wasnt for me, frame or bag. K4 didnt change the bags much so I havent tried it. But the next guy will say the complete opposite. Both are solid companies, it just ends up being personal preference.

What is very different though is the information between the K4 and Ark. The Exo website has every video about measurement and fit you can imagine. They have charts for frame height and your height. Theres pictures demonstrating waist measurement, where they measure it and what size you need. They go over fit and setup. They go over body shape, hunting style and a few other things to also help you get the correct size. They go over percentages based on height. They go over male and female sizing. They go over how to change the size of the frame stays to make the pack fit better. Theres an entire web page from the "what size do you need" hyperlink.

The only sizing information that I see for the ark is the belt ranges, unless Im just missing something.

6.5x284

WKR
I’ll add, I much prefer the Kifaru gun bearer. The K4 rifle carrier is great for traveling, but hit or miss on me being able to reach the release while wearing the pack. That is even after going to longer frame stays and replacing the frame back panel (required to go from 23.5 to 25”). Then, the butt holder is so tight on my stock it’s difficult to get off. And the upper clip scratches the stock. No chance I’m using that with my custom walnut stock. The nalgene holder and belt pocket are excellent. In fact, I’ll see if the exo belt pocket fits on the Ark.

I am going to try to have the right side shoulder strap molle from the EXO sewn onto the left hip belt on the Ark where the K4 Nalgene molle is attached if I end up preferring the Ark to the K4.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider
I have no complaints about the Duplex. The ark is a carbon copy of it, and Id use the same 2 bags with it that I do on the duplex. Bedlam and Stryker XL. Both are perfect for their uses. If I didnt already have a duplex, Id buy the ark. The few ounces doesnt move the needle for me. Whenever they relese the new belt with the laser cut molle for sale on its own, Ill probably spring for that. Im curious to see how many people sell their duplex lites to get an ark though. I tried the k3, and it just wasnt for me, frame or bag. K4 didnt change the bags much so I havent tried it. But the next guy will say the complete opposite. Both are solid companies, it just ends up being personal preference.

What is very different though is the information between the K4 and Ark. The Exo website has every video about measurement and fit you can imagine. They have charts for frame height and your height. Theres pictures demonstrating waist measurement, where they measure it and what size you need. They go over fit and setup. They go over body shape, hunting style and a few other things to also help you get the correct size. They go over percentages based on height. They go over male and female sizing. They go over how to change the size of the frame stays to make the pack fit better. Theres an entire web page from the "what size do you need" hyperlink.

The only sizing information that I see for the ark is the belt ranges, unless Im just missing something.

I have the old Dino hunter frame. I went to the kifaru grand opening when they moved to riverton and even bender said he hasn’t seen one in years . So i bought the ark. Should be a big upgrade for me. I’ve tried my buddies duplex lite and that was night and day for me as well

Packs are like boots, there is no One size fits all or "best pack" because everyone is different shapes and sizes and have different styles and needs while hunting, hiking, shed hunting, Insta-Spacing, and #DIYing.😆

Only you can decide what works best for you, bring your Kuiu Pack and try all 3, then pick.

I have the old Dino hunter frame. I went to the kifaru grand opening when they moved to riverton and even bender said he hasn’t seen one in years . So i bought the ark. Should be a big upgrade for me. I’ve tried my buddies duplex lite and that was night and day for me as well

I have the same one. I’ve had it for 7 years and will probably have it for another 7.

prm

WKR

Exo is ‘Best in Class’ when it comes to product information.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
No experience with the ARK, but I have a DL and K4 and I find K4 bags rather narrow. Since Kifaru made the ARK compatible with existing bags, the ARK frame will manage slightly wider bag designs. Your preference may be for one or the other.

Also the K4 settles on me a bit, whereas the DL stays put. Others have reported different experience, which probably speaks mostly to fit. Since Kifaru changed the belt design for the new ARK, it is hard to say how it will compare to the Duplex belt for fit and function. Safe to say, the new denser foam should last even longer though.

The K4 is incredibly light and nimble. I’ll be tuned into the ARK reviews to hear how it compares there, but it sounds like it’ll only shave a couple ounces off the DL weight. Kifaru is emphasizing increased performance under lighter loads, so I hope to hear the ARK frame competes with the nimbleness of the K4. I think the narrowness of the K4 frame is advantageous to that nimble feel.

The placement of the K4 Nalgene bottle holder interferes with anything wide packed between the frame and bag. It’s a small annoyance that many users may never experience.

K4 comes fitted out with dedicated horizontal compression straps on the frame in the load area. Depending on how you fit out a Kifaru, you may wish to add them.

Kifaru offers a ton of versatility, given the loop (now slot) frame designs. I think the K4 is really dialed in, but it follows a more singular thought process. I like that Kifaru offers a bit more flexibility to dial in to one’s own approach. Some find that can end up busier than they prefer.

Ultimately, I’m in the camp of fit first. Were that equal, maybe something here resonates when you review them in person along with what others have said.

I didn’t buy one, but agree with what others about the K4 rifle carrier, it’s not for me.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
For me the biggest issue with Exo and Kifaru is their lumbar pad….it’s to big. The K4 lumbar with a shim in it works pretty good, but it’s still not exactly what I prefer. Did anyone notice the new lumbar pad on the ARK frame? It looks like it’s a bigger version of the K4 lumbar pad.
Anyway, the shape is the issue, it’s a rectangle block sitting on the small of your back. Our lower backs are not shaped that way. Stone Glacier’s lumbar pad is shaped more similar to the lower back and tapers a bit downwards and towards the edges and for me, it fits perfect. I purchased one from SG and I am in the process of sowing Velcro on it to retro fit it to the K4.
I can’t use the SG packs, their 26” frame is to tall.

It’s gonna be a tough call. I have and love, the K4. Today I decided to try the Ark at the Expo. Had them set it up heavy and it too is incredible. I now own the Ark with a Hellbender and the K4 with a 3600 bag. I am not sure either wins for me but I also haven’t had any real time with the Ark so it remains to be seen. I can say that the Ark forms to my back like they designed it on me. And the lumbar doesn’t seem as thick, but I couldn’t get it to slip.

You will be happy with either.

But you’d be twice as happy with both. 😉