Kifaru Ark vs Exo K4?

I got pretty bad sag with my K4 no matter what I did. I didn’t have this issue with my SG so I’m going back.
That’s a bummer. At least in this day and age, we have some awesome options if one doesn’t work for you.

The k4 stays up on me better than any other pack I’ve used, my last couple heavy pack outs this year I had my belt bottomed out and it was not tight enough, not locked in, but was not a problem, no slippage. Between losing weight in the fall with all of the hunting and the lumbar pad compressing I’m sure. I will probably get the next size down belt just because, but that was another impressive aspect of the k4… obviously that’s not the case with everyone.

The Ark I assume will be an awesome frame, but I like what I have too much to check it out.

I do want to get a dedicated “pack board” setup for hauling meat only, and I was toying with the idea to try the Ark for that, but I’m pretty sure I’ll just get 26.5” k4 or a Barney’s for that purpose, but I can still change my mind 😏

I have zero doubt about the Ark being killer. Before k4, the duplex lite handled really heavy loads better than any others I’ve used, I’m sure the ark will be just as good in that regard, and if the marketing is true, more comfortable with day hunting gear… that’s where the duplex lite wasn’t great… not bad, but it wasn’t comfy like the k2 with a k3 belt I had at the time.

I hope kifaru killed it, it’s hard to improve an already great system, exo did it, and I’m sure kifaru did as well.

JNDEER

WKR
For me the biggest issue with Exo and Kifaru is their lumbar pad….it’s to big. The K4 lumbar with a shim in it works pretty good, but it’s still not exactly what I prefer. Did anyone notice the new lumbar pad on the ARK frame? It looks like it’s a bigger version of the K4 lumbar pad.
Anyway, the shape is the issue, it’s a rectangle block sitting on the small of your back. Our lower backs are not shaped that way. Stone Glacier’s lumbar pad is shaped more similar to the lower back and tapers a bit downwards and towards the edges and for me, it fits perfect. I purchased one from SG and I am in the process of sowing Velcro on it to retro fit it to the K4.
I can’t use the SG packs, their 26” frame is to tall.

You would think it would be easy for a company to have the ability to mix/match belt and lumbar pads to fit 100% of the clientele. Being pear shaped with a curved back- the kifaru fits great. Luckily the K4 can be mod to fit the kifaru lumbar system.

For me the biggest issue with Exo and Kifaru is their lumbar pad….it’s to big. The K4 lumbar with a shim in it works pretty good, but it’s still not exactly what I prefer. Did anyone notice the new lumbar pad on the ARK frame? It looks like it’s a bigger version of the K4 lumbar pad.
Anyway, the shape is the issue, it’s a rectangle block sitting on the small of your back. Our lower backs are not shaped that way. Stone Glacier’s lumbar pad is shaped more similar to the lower back and tapers a bit downwards and towards the edges and for me, it fits perfect. I purchased one from SG and I am in the process of sowing Velcro on it to retro fit it to the K4.
I can’t use the SG packs, their 26” frame is to tall.
That’s the one thing I don’t love about the K4 is the lumbar. I’m hoping as it breaks in over time that the feel gets better though I have no complaints about how it sticks to my back.

I was actually surprised at the ARK. Lumbar looks so similar but that obtrusive lump feel wasn’t there. For being such a similar pad I was very surprised.

Slugz

WKR
Food for thought.
When not loaded those lumbar pads at times seem " large" "too big" " too square" " not anatomically correct"

A large load gets tossed on it like 2 elk rears or an AK moose quarter and it works as advertised. Great support and solid.

Like someone else said though everyone is different, and they fit everyone differently.

ScottinPA

WKR
I have the same one. I’ve had it for 7 years and will probably have it for another 7.
Ditto here. Got my DH in 2017. I waffled the frame sheet a few years ago and had Western Edge add two carbon arrows horizontally to stiffen and minimize barreling. Over the past few months it's developed a squeak in the shoulder straps that I cannot get stopped. Not overly loud but irritating. Also had the Duplex Lite but sold it, didn't seem to fit as comfortably. Been researching the ARK, with the limited info available, and may pull the trigger on it if I can't get the squeak resolved.

Ditto here. Got my DH in 2017. I waffled the frame sheet a few years ago and had Western Edge add two carbon arrows horizontally to stiffen and minimize barreling. Over the past few months it's developed a squeak in the shoulder straps that I cannot get stopped. Not overly loud but irritating. Also had the Duplex Lite but sold it, didn't seem to fit as comfortably. Been researching the ARK, with the limited info available, and may pull the trigger on it if I can't get the squeak resolved.
Can you pin point where the squeak is coming from? May just need a good cleaning.

KevinMartinez1

Lil-Rokslider

Mine has that same squeak. Does get annoying though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottinPA

WKR
Can you pin point where the squeak is coming from? May just need a good cleaning.
Yeah, I've thoroughly cleaned it. It's coming from where the straps go thru the loops under the padding. I made some sleeves from an old tee shirt and put them on the straps. It helped for a little bit it seemed but came back. It's like I'll rearrange the straps (not adjusting anything for fit) and how they seat when looking for the squeaks so it goes away but once I've worn it, things slip back into their "home" position and the squeak starts again. Thought about replacing the shoulder straps to see it that resolves it. The padding that contacts my shoulders seems to be good to go but maybe it's weak at the 2 loops so it compresses easier there and squeaks. I didn't notice any lines or marks indicating rubbing on the straps though.

That’s a bummer. At least in this day and age, we have some awesome options if one doesn’t work for you.

The k4 stays up on me better than any other pack I’ve used, my last couple heavy pack outs this year I had my belt bottomed out and it was not tight enough, not locked in, but was not a problem, no slippage. Between losing weight in the fall with all of the hunting and the lumbar pad compressing I’m sure. I will probably get the next size down belt just because, but that was another impressive aspect of the k4… obviously that’s not the case with everyone.

The Ark I assume will be an awesome frame, but I like what I have too much to check it out.

I do want to get a dedicated “pack board” setup for hauling meat only, and I was toying with the idea to try the Ark for that, but I’m pretty sure I’ll just get 26.5” k4 or a Barney’s for that purpose, but I can still change my mind 😏

I have zero doubt about the Ark being killer. Before k4, the duplex lite handled really heavy loads better than any others I’ve used, I’m sure the ark will be just as good in that regard, and if the marketing is true, more comfortable with day hunting gear… that’s where the duplex lite wasn’t great… not bad, but it wasn’t comfy like the k2 with a k3 belt I had at the time.

I hope kifaru killed it, it’s hard to improve an already great system, exo did it, and I’m sure kifaru did as well.
IMG_1195.jpeg

I am extremely pleased with the Terminus so far. I just never got the K4 to gel with me, this thing was instantly how I want a pack to feel.

Highlands Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Food for thought.
When not loaded those lumbar pads at times seem " large" "too big" " too square" " not anatomically correct"

A large load gets tossed on it like 2 elk rears or an AK moose quarter and it works as advertised. Great support and solid.

Like someone else said though everyone is different, and they fit everyone differently.
I agree, a good quality lumbar like the Exo or Kifaru does a good job; K4 feels amazing when loaded down with a pile of elk meat. I was able to be apart of packing out 4 elk, 3 mule deer, and 1 antelope last fall. The K4 did its job really well. However, I think the SG lumbar may make it even better for me. I guess we will see how it goes this year; I’ll report back when I have more information.

krisn416

WKR
The Ark IMO is an upgrade over the Duplex Lite. I’m not saying it’s a night and day, sell everything you own type of a difference because the DL was already a great frame, but enough of an improvement for me to take the leap. I don’t have the K4, but paid attention to the K4 at the show to visually compare.

Some observations on the Ark:

At the show I tried on the Ark and it made 90lb feel like 65 on my DL. It was noticeably better in how it handled weight. This sold me.

K3 1800 /4800 and the Ark are made for each other. The K3 bags were nearly perfect on the DL, but now literally perfect. This too sold me.

The Ark frame seems lighter than advertised. Not apples to apples, I’d have to weigh it more exactly, but with all my accessories on the Ark belt and an Exo 1800 mounted it’s a pound lighter than the DL with just a Stryker XL on it.

The shoulder straps on the Ark are slightly thinner than the K4, about the same thickness as the DL straps. Can’t remember the K4 belt thickness exactly, but I believe this was the same I observed for the belts. The new Ark straps and belt are super comfortable, so if the performance is the same or better, then less bulk is a plus.

K4 belt accessories almost definitely will work on the Ark belt.

The belt sizing is different on the Ark and you may or may not be the same size if you’re coming from the Duplex Lite. My DL belt is a medium (had wished at times they sold a med-large) and I almost went down to a small on the Ark. Hoping it was the right call going medium. The padding on the Ark belt seems to wrap a little more, and concerned I may bottom the belt out under load once things break in a little. Ordering Ark belts could be a few months out per Kifaru too.

The Ark belt webbing has more slots vertically but fewer horizontally compared to the DL. Something to be aware of. Also, vertically the second row of molle has stitching through it so it’s unusable, but you still have three rows rather than two with the DL. The Ark molle rows are evenly spaced vertically whereas then DL got closer together as you got to the buckles, which is a plus.

The Ark frame looks and feels great.

The new Kifaru bags aesthetically, I’m not sure I like them yet, but we’ll see what comes out.

Side note: I previously had a K2 and after a couple years of struggling with it I tried the DL and K3 bag combo and never went back. Already committed, just never invested the time or money in the K4. But the K4 looked just as great in person as it did online.

Last edited:

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
The Ark frame seems lighter than advertised. Not apples to apples, I’d have to weigh it more exactly, but with all my accessories on the Ark belt and an Exo 1800 mounted it’s a pound lighter than the DL with just a Stryker XL on it.

On my scale:

Stryker XL = 2lb 7.9 oz (advertised at 2.75lbs aka 2lb 12oz)
K3 1800 = 1lb 8.5 oz (advertised at 1lb 5oz)

So there is about a pound difference solely in the bags. Whatever your accessories weigh, thats the bonus weight savings of the ARK.

Would be great to get the exact numbers.

25853037-AB4C-4FFC-BC4D-FE0E37C56B0A.jpeg

IMG_6972.jpeg

krisn416

WKR
I can try to pull everything off when I get time, but total pack with Ark frame, K3 1800 with Kifaru locking buckle swap, 10 of the little adapter straps that come with the frame, two compressions strap kits attaching the bag to the frame, three belt pouches, small emergency whistle, and a 1.3oz carry handle I made weighs 5lb 12.7oz. Plus the ability to swap out my 4800 with internal drybag when needed which weighs just under 3lb. Then I can add the Exo lid which is like 5oz, run a Sherman, and swap out with a Grab It when needed, and so on. If you wanted you could use a 6400 too. This system offers a ton of flexibility, it’s everything I could want or need in a pack. The DL version was great, but this setup is a-mazing so far lol.

Last edited:

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I can try to pull everything off when I get time, but total pack with Ark frame, K3 1800 with Kifaru locking buckle swap, 10 of the little adapter straps that come with the frame, two compressions strap kits, three belt pouches, small emergency whistle, and a 1.3oz carry handle I made weighs a mere 5lb 12.7oz. Plus the ability to swap out my 4800 with internal drybag when needed which weighs just under 3lb. Then I can add the Exo lid which is like 5oz, run a Sherman, and swap out with a Grab It when needed, and so on. If you wanted you could use a 6400 too. This system offers a ton of flexibility, it’s everything I could want or need in a pack. The DL version was great, but this setup is a-mazing so far lol.

I have the Duplex Lite (Large/Long) with gun bearer, K3 1800 bag, and K-clip compression kit (for securing load behind the bag like the K4) at 5lbs 15.6 oz.

K4 2200 with two belt pouches and Nalgene holder is 5lbs 3.1oz on my scale.

The K4 frame is impressively light for what it can do. But I agree that Kifaru offers more options overall.

Kifaru’s belt seems to work a bit better for me, but maybe it’s actually the curved frame that’s the difference. Idk.

It doesn’t seem like I’d save more than a handful of ounces switching from the DL to the ARK. Nevertheless, I’d like to give the ARK a shot sometime to see if the ride is the best of the bunch.

Hopefully more reviews like yours will fortify the narrative about the ARK. Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

krisn416

WKR
I have the Duplex Lite (Large/Long) with gun bearer, K3 1800 bag, and K-clip compression kit (for securing load behind the bag like the K4) at 5lbs 15.6 oz.

The K4 frame is impressively light for what it can do. But I agree that Kifaru offers more options overall.

Kifaru’s belt seems to work a bit better for me, but maybe it’s actually the curved frame that’s the difference. Idk.

It doesn’t seem like I’d save more than a handful of ounces switching from the DL to the ARK. Nevertheless, I’d like to give the ARK a shot sometime to see if the ride is the best of the bunch.

Hopefully more reviews like yours will fortify the narrative about the ARK. Thanks for taking the time to offer your thoughts.
Yw, happy to help with more info or answer whatever other questions I can.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider

Pics:

IMG_6982.jpegIMG_6983.jpeg

K4 owner here (5k). Had the k3 before it. Bought a tactical with hoodlum and then bought a K4 5k and compared. Most everyone has already hit it. Both were good. Tactical was stiffer, felt better under load, but maybe barely. Didn't like the hoodlum bag as much as I would have hoped. K4 bag was better for my needs organizationally and the agility was better for me. It did take a bit to get it just right though. For you K4 owners I found that if you over tighten the load lifters it will try to the pull the lumbar pad off the body and create sag...Nearly sold my K4 I was so frustrated till I figured that out. I found (as in the videos they show when fitting) you just bring the load lifters to tension and maybe a bit more then that's the sweet spot for lift without pulling the frame off the lower back.

Ended up selling the tactical. I really like the modularity and customizability though. It just felt like to get it where I wanted it, I ended up adding extra pockets which was just extra weight when the K4 fit my needs stock.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Kifaru again, I did like the lumbar pad a little better comparatively and the padding on the back felt better for sure, but it collected sweat for sure! If EXO could add something similar to the K4 I would totally go for that, even at weight sacrifice. I do wish as others mentioned that there was a few more belt options. I ordered the tactical with a small, but then nearly maxed it out. Tried an xtra small and that felt pinching on the hips and was a touch short. It was like I needed something in between. Maybe it was just me.

Both are sweet though. Will I buy an ARK? The tinker says I should. The practical person says no. I would run it with a K3 bag as others have said if I were to do it. Unless Kifaru comes out with some new bag designs. Bedlam was cool, but something about the asymmetrical thing never clicked for me to dip back in.

Hopefully this post will keep going as I would enjoy hearing the ARK feedback for those that get to test it!