Kifaru: hot spots in lumbar area?

Read1t48

WKR
So I have a hunter frame that was purchased about two years ago. The model after the traditional duplex but not the newest model.

I packed out a quartered deer this last weekend along with camp gear. Total weight was about 115. Nothing crazy, but still heavy.
For the last two years, and this year especially, I had considerable hot spots in my lumbar area. Two distinct spots which looked to be caused by the outer edges of the square lumbar pad attached to the rear of the belt. I’ve spent a lot of time over the last couple years trying to get good fit and adjustment. I can’t figure out why it’s doing this. The spots almost created bruising. No discomfort with ligh loads but heavy weight causes problem.

I really like the kifaru gear and options available. I’m not looking to switch companies if I can resolve. For reference I’m about 5’5”, 155lb. 17.5” torso length, running a 24” frame.

Any thoughts on how to fix?

Thanks!

TEmbry

WKR
My thoughts are to call Kifaru. Excellent customer service/tech support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
It sounds like your delta straps are over tightened. Loosen them up, put 30 pounds in it and then just snug them up. After that run the strap back over them to lock them down.

When they are over tightened it wrecks the load displacement .

MattB

WKR
Could also be the shape of the stays, causing the pressure not to be spread evenly. As stated, I would call Kifaru.

KHNC

WKR
This is why i have never bought a Kifaru. I tried my buddys one a couple years ago. First thing i noticed was the lumbar pad jabbing into my lower back area. Probably could have gotten a better fit if it was made for me, but it just didnt feel right.

MattB

WKR
This is why i have never bought a Kifaru. I tried my buddys one a couple years ago. First thing i noticed was the lumbar pad jabbing into my lower back area. Probably could have gotten a better fit if it was made for me, but it just didnt feel right.

If you wore his boots and they did not fit right, would you never buy that brand - even if they were the wrong size and width? No offense, but one size doesn't fit all and it is short-sighted to criticize an entire brand because a single pack that wasn't fitted to you was uncomfortable.

WoolyBugger

Lil-Rokslider
If you wore his boots and they did not fit right, would you never buy that brand - even if they were the wrong size and width? No offense, but one size doesn't fit all and it is short-sighted to criticize an entire brand because a single pack that wasn't fitted to you was uncomfortable.

Lol gotta love these people that tried their buddies gear that wasn't made to fit them and it oddly didn't fit them right. The boot example is good, I usually say its like shooting someone's bow that is set to a longer draw than yours, is that brand now bad because you couldn't shoot someone else's bow well?

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Thanks guys. I’m going to get a new lumbar pad and consider adjusting the stays if the pad doesn’t solve. Kifaru’s customer service is great and I’ve been very pleased with their gear. Thank you.

Ranger619

WKR
I have had the same issue. I found I get it mostly in the summer when I am doing training hikes and am really sweating. The type of shirt I have on has made a difference too. It is worse when I wear a wool shirt. I have stopped wearing wool when it is really hot and put a new lumbar pad in and have not had any issues since. I am about your size 155ish and 5'9".

I kind of had the same issues with my DT1 with CF stays. My problem was that the lumbar pad would rub when carrying heavy loads. I would walk for a couple hundred yards and the pack would slowly slide down a bit, then I would stop, lean foreword and shift the weight back up, retighten my belt and continue. After multiple times doing this during a pack out the lumbar pad area would almost rub the small of my back raw with bruising as well. I contacted Kifaru and was told that it was probably a worn out lumbar pad so they sent me a new one. Long story short, it didn't work and after attempting many different adjustments, without success, I sold it and moved on. Kifaru makes great packs for sure, they just didn't work for me. I'm roughly the same size/wt. as well, 5'8" and 155#.

duchntr

WKR
Had the same issue, perfectly comfy to around 70 but with full loads the lumbar pad would eat me up. Switched to aluminum stays, slightly better but still bad. Then I tried bigger and smaller pad still no good, would always get a slipping waist belt under heavy load. Moved on to a SO pack no more problems. I would not give up on the kifaru though until you talk to the guys over there, they are very responsive. I hope it ends up working out for you.

JD619er

WKR
Lol gotta love these people that tried their buddies gear that wasn't made to fit them and it oddly didn't fit them right. The boot example is good, I usually say its like shooting someone's bow that is set to a longer draw than yours, is that brand now bad because you couldn't shoot someone else's bow well?

Some people are great at hammering on people from a computer. The two guys that had comments for the fella that tried the kifaru and didnt like it are annoying to me. The guy even said he probably could have gotten a better fit if it was made for him but apparently he doesn't like packs with a big lumbar pad. These posts and the ones in the recent Stone glacier thread are pretty discouraging on a great site and lead to threads being locked. Oh and before I get bashed on I have a kifaru and Stone glacier and appreciate all the pack options no super fanboy here just a guy wanting to see people help other people not just be a key board hero

OP
R

Read1t48

WKR
Good, honest threads is what makes this a great forum. You’ll never hear me say anything bad about Kifaru. Great customer service and they give a lot back to the hunting and military community. They make great stuff.
I’m realistic enough to know that if I can’t fix the problem, it’s reasonable to assume it could be my body type, etc., and start looking for a different pack.

sr80

WKR
just goes show how certain packs work for certain people and not so well for others. All great packs, but they need to be tested.

MattB

WKR
I kind of had the same issues with my DT1 with CF stays. My problem was that the lumbar pad would rub when carrying heavy loads. I would walk for a couple hundred yards and the pack would slowly slide down a bit, then I would stop, lean foreword and shift the weight back up, retighten my belt and continue. After multiple times doing this during a pack out the lumbar pad area would almost rub the small of my back raw with bruising as well. I contacted Kifaru and was told that it was probably a worn out lumbar pad so they sent me a new one. Long story short, it didn't work and after attempting many different adjustments, without success, I sold it and moved on. Kifaru makes great packs for sure, they just didn't work for me. I'm roughly the same size/wt. as well, 5'8" and 155#.

Lot's of folks experience that sort of slipping when the delta straps are too tight as described above. Not saying it was in your case, but worth considering if other folks are experiencing that.

The lumbar pads absolutely do wear out over years of use, something to consider if a previously great-fitting pack starts giving you problems.

Kotaman

WKR
Lot's of folks experience that sort of slipping when the delta straps are too tight as described above. Not saying it was in your case, but worth considering if other folks are experiencing that.

The lumbar pads absolutely do wear out over years of use, something to consider if a previously great-fitting pack starts giving you problems.

I don’t usually own a frame long enough for a lumbar to wear out...:cool: