Kifaru KU 4300 review **Updated 2/25/24**

Some specs.

The ARK frame in the 25" medium is 3.09 pounds. KU 4300 is 1.8 pounds. All in weight of 4.89 pounds for 4300 ci.

The SG X-Curve (which is probably the lightest of the big names, but certainly doesn't haul meat like the others) is 3.0 pounds in medium. The Col 4800 is 1 lb 10.8oz bag only. Total weight of 4.69 pounds for 4800 ci.

Based on that IMO the Kifaru specs seem pretty impressive. I would wager for a minimal weight gain you're getting quite a bit more load hauling capability, but at the cost of bag durability. I think most people would take that assuming they could live with the price. That's also assuming the Kifaru listed specs are accurate, which hasn't always been the case in the past.

Has it been decided for certain that the stone certainly does not haul meat like other packs?

That has been my experience. I have the X Curve and the Kifaru Duplex Tactical and the Exo K4. The SG hauls heavy the worst of the three. I think it's because the belt isn't as tall as the other two. Also, the cross bracing of the frame stays does barrel some with rigid rear quarters.

All that being said, I use my SG the most because it's the lightest of the three for regular hunting weights and is perfectly comfortable light to 40 or 50 ish pounds.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
Some specs.

The ARK frame in the 25" medium is 3.09 pounds. KU 4300 is 1.8 pounds. All in weight of 4.89 pounds for 4300 ci.

The SG X-Curve (which is probably the lightest of the big names, but certainly doesn't haul meat like the others) is 3.0 pounds in medium. The Col 4800 is 1 lb 10.8oz bag only. Total weight of 4.69 pounds for 4800 ci.

Based on that IMO the Kifaru specs seem pretty impressive. I would wager for a minimal weight gain you're getting quite a bit more load hauling capability, but at the cost of bag durability. I think most people would take that assuming they could live with the price. That's also assuming the Kifaru listed specs are accurate, which hasn't always been the case in the past.

Are these website numbers, or on your scale?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The SG X-Curve (which is probably the lightest of the big names, but certainly doesn't haul meat like the others)

This is almost 100% individual body type dependent. I have been apart of 40-50 elk being packed out between 2 and 6.8 miles in X-Curves, a dozen or more in various Kifaru’s, 5-6 in Mystery Ranch’s, 10-12 in Exo K3’s, and 4 this year in K4’s. Somewhere close to 100 deer and antelope in X-Cruves and 30-40 in Kifaru’s, and 20-30 in Exo. Usual pack out loads are bone in rear and front quarter at a minimum, and often the head or the backstrap/tenderloins as well for the first load. Deer and antelope is generally one trip bone in. I used to carry a scale at the truck- average loads were 85-90lbs and frequently 110-115lbs.
The Xcurve is slightly more flexible in barreling than the Exo’s (I actually prefer the K3 frame to the K4), some Kifaru’s are about the same and some are less susceptible to the slight barreling.

In no way the X-Curve “doesn’t haul meat like the others”. I have hiked and packed extensively with a bunch of people that have a SG, Kifaru, and Exo all sitting side by side. My experience is bout 10% pick a Kifaru to haul loads over the others after using them all, and it is a very specific body type. The rest have all preferred SG X-Curve or Exo.

This is almost 100% individual body type dependent. I have been apart of 40-50 elk being packed out between 2 and 6.8 miles in X-Curves, a dozen or more in various Kifaru’s, 5-6 in Mystery Ranch’s, 10-12 in Exo K3’s, and 4 this year in K4’s. Somewhere close to 100 deer and antelope in X-Cruves and 30-40 in Kifaru’s, and 20-30 in Exo. Usual pack out loads are bone in rear and front quarter at a minimum, and often the head or the backstrap/tenderloins as well for the first load. Deer and antelope is generally one trip bone in. I used to carry a scale at the truck- average loads were 85-90lbs and frequently 110-115lbs.
The Xcurve is slightly more flexible in barreling than the Exo’s (I actually prefer the K3 frame to the K4), some Kifaru’s are about the same and some are less susceptible to the slight barreling.

In no way the X-Curve “doesn’t haul meat like the others”. I have hiked and packed extensively with a bunch of people that have a SG, Kifaru, and Exo all sitting side by side. My experience is bout 10% pick a Kifaru to haul loads over the others after using them all, and it is a very specific body type. The rest have all preferred SG X-Curve or Exo.

Sure, it’s body type dependent and there is some personal preference layered in. I don’t think it’s unusual to experience that more surface area on a belt leads to increased comfort…the SG being the smallest of the 3. And when you put a 1/8” sheet of HDPE in there like Kifaru does it’s pretty effective at reducing barreling.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Sure, it’s body type dependent and there is some personal preference layered in. I don’t think it’s unusual to experience that more surface area on a belt leads to increased comfort…the SG being the smallest of the 3.

It’s hugely dependent on body shape- I despise Kifaru’s hip belts. They are way to large/wide, slip and greatly impede hip movement and mobility. This has been a common complaint of most of the people that I was referring to above. To get the belt to not slip requires it to be extremely tight. As well, they generally have a massive lumber pad which also causes the belt to slip if you don’t have a deep lumbar curve, and again means that some/most need to tighten the belt even more, which puts significant pressure on the lumbar.

This is not me saying Kifaru doesn’t make a good pack- they do. It’s that most people don’t have the body shape that Kifaru’s are built for/around. The people I know and have seen that prefer them after using the others extensively- including @Ryan Avery, all have a similar build. They really prefer them. But, for a lot of people that don’t have that body shape, Kifaru’s are the last choice among the top packs.

Kifaru’s are very good packs and for some body shapes are the best available. For some body shapes they are not good. But, take body shape out of the equation- functionally the X-Curve carries weight like the other top packs.

And when you put a 1/8” sheet of HDPE in there like Kifaru does it’s pretty effective at reducing barreling.

Yes it does. However, the “barreling” that X-Curves do, is not what most think of as barreling- it only happens with certain load types and packing, and is virtually unnoticeable while using it.

I purposely put a load of frozen meat with a bulge in the middle on the shelf of an original R3 5900 non X-curve right in the center of the frame then cinched it down as absolutely tight as I could get with my knee pressing down to purposely try to break the stays and cause the most barreling possible. I succeeded in breaking a cross stay, and damaging another. The pack carried a very heavy load out in relatively steep terrain without issue, and I could not tell anything was wrong outside of when picking it up.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
It’s hugely dependent on body shape- I despise Kifaru’s hip belts. They are way to large/wide, slip and greatly impede hip movement and mobility. This has been a common complaint of most of the people that I was referring to above. To get the belt to not slip requires it to be extremely tight. As well, they generally have a massive lumber pad which also causes the belt to slip if you don’t have a deep lumbar curve, and again means that some/most need to tighten the belt even more, which puts significant pressure on the lumbar.

This is not me saying Kifaru doesn’t make a good pack- they do. It’s that most people don’t have the body shape that Kifaru’s are built for/around. The people I know and have seen that prefer them after using the others extensively- including @Ryan Avery, all have a similar build. They really prefer them. But, for a lot of people that don’t have that body shape, Kifaru’s are the last choice among the top packs.

Kifaru’s are very good packs and for some body shapes are the best available. For some body shapes they are not good.

Interesting observation. I don’t have a flat back, and, as it stands…

For me, the Kifaru belt (Duplex Lite frame, curved stays) does not slip. It’s the best of the bunch so far on my body. The K4 has been the worst in that regard, even the Kuiu Pro stayed put better. K4 lumbar moves around as I go and settles on me, but the K4 setup is so good in other areas. Seek Outside belt seems outclassed, but it is a solid performer in my experience. Oddly I do not prefer a lumbar pad on that frame.