Kifaru KU 4300 review **Updated 2/25/24**

IBen

Lil-Rokslider
Have you carried loads back to back in the mountains with it and the other top packs-Exo, SG, MR, etc? I mean something like having 6 round trips to pack meat out and switching the pack each trip to compare and contrast?

Kifaru is a good pack and if I were coming from a Badlands, etc. I would be through the roof with how great it is. I am not saying it sucks, I am saying that compared back to back with the other top packs, lots of people do not prefer it over them. That’s all.
I have and can see why people like the Kifaru. Have you packed a moose with the sg yet? You can feel the frame stays pressing into your back through the foam and even the lumbar pad with moose quarters. Something that the full frame sheet on the Kifaru would prevent as well as the new carbon fiber frame.

Have you carried loads back to back in the mountains with it and the other top packs-Exo, SG, MR, etc? I mean something like having 6 round trips to pack meat out and switching the pack each trip to compare and contrast?

Kifaru is a good pack and if I were coming from a Badlands, etc. I would be through the roof with how great it is. I am not saying it sucks, I am saying that compared back to back with the other top packs, lots of people do not prefer it over them. That’s all.

No sir I do not have 6 backpacks. Only point was that I am the “stereotypical SG build” that was mentioned (6’4, 200 lbs, 33” waist) and have had no issues with the lumbar pad or the hip belt slipping on my duplex light. I’m sure the others would work fine too, just pointing out that Kifaru can work for that body type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
It’s hugely dependent on body shape- I despise Kifaru’s hip belts. They are way to large/wide, slip and greatly impede hip movement and mobility. This has been a common complaint of most of the people that I was referring to above. To get the belt to not slip requires it to be extremely tight. As well, they generally have a massive lumber pad which also causes the belt to slip if you don’t have a deep lumbar curve, and again means that some/most need to tighten the belt even more, which puts significant pressure on the lumbar.

This is not me saying Kifaru doesn’t make a good pack- they do. It’s that most people don’t have the body shape that Kifaru’s are built for/around. The people I know and have seen that prefer them after using the others extensively- including @Ryan Avery, all have a similar build. They really prefer them. But, for a lot of people that don’t have that body shape, Kifaru’s are the last choice among the top packs.

Kifaru’s are very good packs and for some body shapes are the best available. For some body shapes they are not good. But, take body shape out of the equation- functionally the X-Curve carries weight like the other top packs.

Yes it does. However, the “barreling” that X-Curves do, is not what most think of as barreling- it only happens with certain load types and packing, and is virtually unnoticeable while using it.

I purposely put a load of frozen meat with a bulge in the middle on the shelf of an original R3 5900 non X-curve right in the center of the frame then cinched it down as absolutely tight as I could get with my knee pressing down to purposely try to break the stays and cause the most barreling possible. I succeeded in breaking a cross stay, and damaging another. The pack carried a very heavy load out in relatively steep terrain without issue, and I could not tell anything was wrong outside of when picking it up.
In addition, people often say that each hunting pack is as unique as a pair of boots. However, in my experience, packs are even more diverse. While it is easy to get an idea of where to start with boots, packs come in all shapes and sizes. On top of that, some individuals don't even adjust their packs correctly, which only adds to the confusion.

Personally, I have tried nearly all of the hunting packs available, with the exception of the Exo K4. Form is correct, and I love the Kifaru frames. In terms of comfort, I would rank the Kifaru internal frame (Kutthroat, Timberline) as the most comfortable, followed by the Duplex and then the Stone Glacier X-Curve with a built-up lumbar pad. For someone like me, who is a little more fat-athletic:) and has a curved lower back, a bigger lumbar pad is preferred.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the ARC yet, but I will have one soon. My advice is to attend a show and try on a variety of packs, both with and without weight. Don't be the person who talks about packs without really knowing anything about them, having only owned one brand.

Last edited:

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
followed by the Duplex and then the Stone Glacier X-Curve with a built-up lumbar pad. For someone like me, who is a little more fat-athletic:) and has a curved lower back, a bigger lumbar pad is preferred.
What are you using to build up the SG lumbar pad? Currently trying out an xcurve after a few years with a duplex lite. While I'd say I slightly prefer the SG to the duplex with the 45ish pounds I've had on it so far, I could see that being something to try for heavier loads.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What are you using to build up the SG lumbar pad? Currently trying out an xcurve after a few years with a duplex lite. While I'd say I slightly prefer the SG to the duplex with the 45ish pounds I've had on it so far, I could see that being something to try for heavier loads.
SG gave me some foam, and I cut up part of a Kifaru pad on another.

IBen

Lil-Rokslider

Foamfactory.com

prm

WKR
Ya’ll are confused. This should be in the Ark review thread.

As for the new bags shown so far, nothing gets me excited to try. I am interested in what Tony says about the material of the 4300 though.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I have not. My apologies, I should not have engaged when guys claim that others packs don’t carry weight.
If you wouldn’t have, I sure would have, regardless of original topic, just because the claim was a bit much.

One thing people don’t talk about enough is frame stay shape (curved/straight) vs accommodating spine shape with larger lumbar. That, and the fact some back bias loading the belt over chest suspension over others.

With all the people it sounds like cycle through around you, it would be interesting getting a “test mule” ARK frame over to you. To bring that back to original topic - I wonder how much the Ark is similar/different than duplex light….

MT_Wyatt

WKR
SG gave me some foam, and I cut up part of a Kifaru pad on another.
I do this with a Krux to get more curve, the lumbar pad on my SG frame is super built up. The xcurve fits great but stays bending onto the back of my head doesn’t work well.

Lawnboi

WKR
In addition, people often say that each hunting pack is as unique as a pair of boots. However, in my experience, packs are even more diverse. While it is easy to get an idea of where to start with boots, packs come in all shapes and sizes. On top of that, some individuals don't even adjust their packs correctly, which only adds to the confusion.

Personally, I have tried nearly all of the hunting packs available, with the exception of the Exo K4. Form is correct, and I love the Kifaru frames. In terms of comfort, I would rank the Kifaru internal frame (Kutthroat, Timberline) as the most comfortable, followed by the Duplex and then the Stone Glacier X-Curve with a built-up lumbar pad. For someone like me, who is a little more fat-athletic:) and has a curved lower back, a bigger lumbar pad is preferred.

I haven't had the opportunity to try the ARC yet, but I will have one soon. My advice is to attend a show and try on a variety of packs, both with and without weight. Don't be the person who talks about packs without really knowing anything about them, having only owned one brand.
Looking forward to hearing what you think of the new frame based on what you mentioned in the podcast. My duplex hunter is basically done. I’m also a fan of the internal suspension kifaru packs and was hoping for a larger one to pit against the terminus that I have my mind set on. Iv never been a huge fan of kifaru frames only because I really don’t use a frame as others do, meat goes in the bag and the bag attached to the frame still just feels like two pieces.

Really hard to not look at the stone glacier though when the terminus ends up costing as much as a replacement frame only.

Jbehredt

WKR
If you wouldn’t have, I sure would have, regardless of original topic, just because the claim was a bit much.

One thing people don’t talk about enough is frame stay shape (curved/straight) vs accommodating spine shape with larger lumbar. That, and the fact some back bias loading the belt over chest suspension over others.

With all the people it sounds like cycle through around you, it would be interesting getting a “test mule” ARK frame over to you. To bring that back to original topic - I wonder how much the Ark is similar/different than duplex light….
This is why my tactical with aluminum stays will be worn into the ground. The day I got those perfect I heard angels sing.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think it was for the duplex lite, which was frustrating. If you want 2 sets of straps for attaching meat to the frame then the 2 sets you need to attach the frame to the bag it was an extra ~ 9 oz as I remember. It doesn't seem like much, but in the Ark reference you'd be adding 18-19% to the total frame weight (unless it is included in the bag weight, which I would bet $$$ it's not, I could be wrong tho)

Though lots of their pics show the ARK 4300 with three horizontal compression straps, vice the usual two. Wonder if that’s how they come?

B8F949D7-5C90-429A-B9C4-D283D69B6E3E.jpeg

sndmn11

WKR
Frame aside, because there's another thread for that, I think people will be very happy with Ultragrid as a pack material. I've had a (non Kifaru) Ultragrid bag I've had for several months and I think it's a big step up from cordura.

I'll be interested to see if @Tony Trietch finds the advantages of the material in a similar light that I do.

OP
Tony Trietch

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
Ya’ll are confused. This should be in the Ark review thread.

As for the new bags shown so far, nothing gets me excited to try. I am interested in what Tony says about the material of the 4300 though.

I think technically, this is the KU4300 thread, the Ark frame is a separate thread, just sayin!! 🤷

Frame aside, because there's another thread for that, I think people will be very happy with Ultragrid as a pack material. I've had a (non Kifaru) Ultragrid bag I've had for several months and I think it's a big step up from cordura.

I'll be interested to see if @Tony Trietch finds the advantages of the material in a similar light that I do.
I love how the KU 4300 thread turned into the ARK thread.

FYI, there is an ARK thread where you can debate fit and comfort for humans that all have different body shapes and sizes. I agree with Avery, pack fit can be broadly different between users.

Hooray.....Did anyone notice the new crazy light KU 4300 with sail cloth material!?

Reactions: prm

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I love how the KU 4300 thread turned into the ARK thread.

FYI, there is an ARK thread where you can debate fit and comfort for humans that all have different body shapes and sizes. I agree with Avery, pack fit can be broadly different between users.

Hooray.....Did anyone notice the new crazy light KU 4300 with sail cloth material!?

1lb 13oz, 4300cui.

It’s an equalizer. K4 2200 is 1lb 10oz. 3600 and 5K are over 2lbs.

But Seek’s 4800cui bags are still 10oz lighter and sailcloth. A couple of ounces more and you get a zipper.

Can Kifaru add a zipper? I’ll manage the extra 2-3oz. Lol.

Any insight as to the differences in what Kifaru is using and the other sailcloth bags on the market?