Kimber Mountain Ascent - follow up experience

Hi All,

For those out there considering the Mountain Ascent (Montana or Hunter) like I was, just thought I'd share some very brief follow up feedback on my experience with mine chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. I know some have had poor experiences with Kimber, which I understand, but also wanted to share my very good experience. I've carried it for about 25 days in the field and shot a couple hundred rounds through it by now.

- Carrying it: As 99.9% of the time I'm carrying my rifle, what's not to love about a 4lb 13oz rifle! I also really like the soft touch feel of the stock which is actually why I stretched my purchase for the Mountain Ascent vs. Montana. In the heat of exercise and climbing hills I sweat a lot, though with this stock my grip still feels quite good.

- Shooting: Yes, it took some practice to get used to such a light rifle, but thanks to the phone support guy at Kimber and some practice I feel very good now.

- Accuracy: Couldn't ask for more as you can see in the latest pics after remounting the sight. Took 3 shots to nail the windage, then shot these 3 groups to nail down 2.75" high at 100 yards. Bullet is Hornady Superformance, 120gr GMX (lead free) at 3050fps at muzzle.

- Critiques:
1. Fit - this is so personal can't expect all guns to fit all people. For me, it didn't fit well so had to put the cheek raised stock pouch, which I actually love now. With such a light rifle I was fine with a little more weight and now feels very natural. Also kind of like always having the bullets I need for the hunt with the rifle, so I don't pull a bonehead move and forget them at hom.
2. Price - kind of steep for the Mountain Ascent over the Montana and the Montana would have normally been a lock for me, but I couldn't get over how good the soft touch stock of the Mountain Ascent felt (Montana stock is different). Since I carry it so darn much I stretched for the MA and am glad I did.
3. Muzzle break came loose - this isn't really a critique but a note to potential owners. Mine came loose at the first couple range sessions, effecting accuracy, so I simply used some light loktite and it's been fine every since.

So in conclusion, I really love it as it's a joy to carry in the field and silly accurate. Now just waiting until I can truly justify getting one in .300 win mag.

Cheers,

Steve

Attachments

• IMG_2888.jpg
    IMG_2888.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 163
  • IMG_4124.jpeg
    IMG_4124.jpeg
    175.6 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_4125.jpeg
    IMG_4125.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_4126.jpeg
    IMG_4126.jpeg
    221.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
OP
L
Looks great, but I'm not surprised. My .270 MA is currently my favorite mountain rifle I own. Hope you have good luck hunting with it.

Thanks, in my case the limiting factor on the hunting part is the fella carrying the rifle. Saw a couple very nice blacktails last weekend, but didn't get a chance at a good shot. Yesterday saw just a couple spikes. Just glad it gets me out into nature with some great exercise to boot.

VernAK

WKR
My MA in 270 is a joy to carry and shoot. I just loaned it to my neighbor gal for a dall hunt [very successful] and we went to the range for a practice session prior to the hunt. At 300 yards she shot her only two shots in and touching the 1" diamond bull with the B&C reticle. Amazing little rifle. BTW, it's shooting 130TTSX over RL16 @ 3200ish.

Brianb3

WKR
.280 AI lights out. I’ve wanted to sell buts it’s just to reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my Montana. Haven’t shot a full box yet, but I’ve got this same 5/8” group every time at 100yds. Soon as it cools off some, I’ll go shoot some steel and see what I get at the longer ranges.

3 shot group at 100 yards using 130gr. Barnes TTSX factory ammo out of .270 Mountain Ascent.
913f824cacb2adab33e00639ccf24fca.jpg

8fb45e38a58bf77d74e042a453501d4d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
What help did Kimber offer and what changes did you make besides the cheek piece? Just curious. I have a hunter in 7mm-08 that im just getting used to. The geometry of the stock is different than the savage i was shooting before and still working through it.

OP
L
Wow, those are some silly sweet groups from so many Kimbers. When I do add a larger caliber, it'll be tempting to get a shorter cartridge like a .308 (vs. .300 win mag) simply for the weight and barrel length savings for carrying.

What help did Kimber offer and what changes did you make besides the cheek piece? Just curious. I have a hunter in 7mm-08 that im just getting used to. The geometry of the stock is different than the savage i was shooting before and still working through it.

The first thing was simply for my peace of mind regarding the "lack of smoothness" in the action, as there were a number of online complaints about it compared to other rifles. I apologize in advance for my ignorance if I explain it wrong, but he said that it's due to the Mausler claw style action which actually grabs a hold of the back of the cartridge, so the round is more secure during the process and gets pushed into the chamber at a bit of an angle. Due to this angle, it's normal if it needs a little more force. He talked about the other benefits of that action, but I honestly can't remember well enough to comment or quote on them.

For shooting helpfulness, it was very interesting as he said he was a competitive long range shooter before coming to work for Kimber and was super frustrated that he was getting 3" groups. One of the Kimber veterans helped him out suggesting that with the super light rifles that he focus on equal pressure on all contact points on the rifle when shooting, as a small variation will show up more in the shots. After a little practice with this, he said his group sizes dropped to sub moa.

I really appreciated talking to someone who actually knew the product and not just reading off a script.

Cheers,

Steve

This has been my experience with newer Kimbers as well.

Just like any manufacturer, duds can and will come out. If you think your favorite brand can’t put out a dud you’re wrong.

Another thing is keeping your expectations in check. There’s a reason why long range shooters tend to prefer heavier rifles... well it’s not that they prefer them, they just shoot them better. Heavier rifles are more forgiving when it comes to technique. With that said, don’t buy a 4lb rifle and expect to be taking killer shots 800 yards across canyon at game. It isn’t that it’s impossible or that the rifles aren’t capable, but most people aren’t capable.

I bought my Kimber for a 500-600 and in gun, and for that role it’s beautiful. If there’s even a breath of a chance I could have to shoot further I’m taking a different rifle.

VernAK

WKR
I've been very tempted to get the MA in 280ai but for what I want it for, I'd want a 1:8 twist for shooting bullets heavier than I shoot in my 270.

bbckfh

Lil-Rokslider
...I really appreciated talking to someone who actually knew the product and not just reading off a script.

Cheers,

Steve

Oh, that's REALLY nice. My call to Browning yesterday was the exact opposite - frustration and scripted party-line. Too much liability. It's really too bad that I like their products (X-Bolt, 725 & BHP) so much.

Really reassuring and refreshing to hear that from a large manufacturer. I think many of the little guys win on Customer Service over the big ones, but Kimber really is larger so it's nice to hear that they have good ones.

OP
L
Oh, that's REALLY nice. My call to Browning yesterday was the exact opposite - frustration and scripted party-line. Too much liability. It's really too bad that I like their products (X-Bolt, 725 & BHP) so much.

Really reassuring and refreshing to hear that from a large manufacturer. I think many of the little guys win on Customer Service over the big ones, but Kimber really is larger so it's nice to hear that they have good ones.

100% agree. When trying to resolve some issues of sticky extraction with my SW 329PD, I had two very different experiences with the SW customer service. One was all script and basically no, no, no, deflecting any possible acceptance of responsibility or issues. The other guy on a subsequent call had come from the manufacturing floor where he worked a decade or two. He understood clearly what I was saying so we could set up an RMA right away. It was a dramatic difference. Probably tough to pay the amount a quality person would need for that job, but wow in this day and age it's sure appreciated.

s

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I have about 150 rounds thru my MA in 300 Win Mag. I'm thumb tacking every trip to the range. I'll let you guys know how it works in NF in October.

brsnow

WKR
Factory nosler e-tips 140, example of consistent grouping. .280 AI subalpine.

Attachments

• 9D713132-2033-4E49-821E-9114FD5D2E9E.jpeg
    9D713132-2033-4E49-821E-9114FD5D2E9E.jpeg
    93.9 KB · Views: 29