Kimber Mountain Ascent - follow up experience

I’ve only been able to hold a used one at the local Cabelas gun library. Stock, weight, balance was very nice. Did not care for the action feel, but would like to try a new one and a well broken in one to find out if that is true to form. Felt like an awesome mountain rifle.

OP
L
I’ve only been able to hold a used one at the local Cabelas gun library. Stock, weight, balance was very nice. Did not care for the action feel, but would like to try a new one and a well broken in one to find out if that is true to form. Felt like an awesome mountain rifle.

That seems to be a common feeling about not liking the action as it's not as silky smooth as some others. I wondered about it too.

I don't know if it was just a salesman pitch, but the Kimber customer service guy said that the Mauser-style claw action will generally not be as smooth as some of the others like the Weatherby, which I think had something to do with controlled vs. push feed action (but don't quote me). As the bullet is held and pushed up at an angle to load it's natural to have some force required to do it.

Anyone here with detailed knowledge of actions who could rescue my butchered attempt of why it may not be as "smooth" but why that isn't bad either?

Thanks,

s

Last edited:
OP
L
ps - found an interesting article by Chuck Hawks on bolt actions, with a section on the Commercial Mauser 98. While the Kimber is Mauser-style, it was an interesting read to see the initial inspiration.

brsnow

WKR
The action doesn’t have the “slop” with a shell in it. Not sure if that helps.

oenanthe

WKR
Did not care for the action feel, but would like to try a new one and a well broken in one to find out if that is true to form. Felt like an awesome mountain rifle.

They definitely improve with age! I've got two Kimbers; one is nearly new and one is ten years old. I remember when I got the 1st one the action felt stiff and I'd sit on the couch and cycle dummy rounds through it repeatedly to try and loosen it up (and improve the feeding).

At some point in the last ten years I guess the action on that rifle became smooth - I hadn't thought about it for years until I got the brand new Kimber and thought "dang this feels stiff".

Comparing the two side by side there's a huge difference in how the actions feel. But based on experience I think the new one will smooth out after a few thousand cycles of the bolt, just like the old one did.

BTW both of these rifles had issues with feeding when brand new; both needed the feed rails and ramp polished with 400-grit paper. Both feed just fine now (7mm-08 and .30-06).

Good to hear, I’m not against cycling an action a few thousand times before I ever mount a scope, I have done it on a few rifles. I would like to hold a fieldcraft side by side and see how they compare.

Good to hear, I’m not against cycling an action a few thousand times before I ever mount a scope, I have done it on a few rifles. I would like to hold a fieldcraft side by side and see how they compare.

The FC is smoother than the Kimber, no two ways about it, but it kind of like comparing apples to oranges (PF to CRF).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L
If you haven't seen them already, here are a couple helpful articles.

Tips on Shooting Ultra-Lightweight Rifles:

American Rifleman

Kimber

brsnow

WKR
At the end of the day, if you do it right with ammo the rifle likes you will get sub moa. I also take a few free hand shots each range session and the rifle still hits more than adequate for me. I don’t expect sub-moa in a hunting situation unless it is perfect conditions.

bmf0713

WKR
Looks great, but I'm not surprised. My .270 MA is currently my favorite mountain rifle I own. Hope you have good luck hunting with it.
I just picked up a 30-06 dirt cheap. How’s the recoil on your 270? I’m going on an elk hunt in 6 days. Can I get use to it quick or should I just use what I have.

brsnow

WKR
I just picked up a 30-06 dirt cheap. How’s the recoil on your 270? I’m going on an elk hunt in 6 days. Can I get use to it quick or should I just use what I have.

With the brake the recoil is minimal . It does take time getting used to shooting a light rifle though.

bmf0713

WKR
With the brake the recoil is minimal . It does take time getting used to shooting a light rifle though.
Ok. Thanks. Hopefully I can shoot it and feel comfortable in about 20-30 shots. I picked it up on sale for $937! Wasn’t really looking at a 30-06 but at that price it bought it. Now I wanna use it for my hunt next week.

Smithb9841

Lil-Rokslider
Ok. Thanks. Hopefully I can shoot it and feel comfortable in about 20-30 shots. I picked it up on sale for $937! Wasn’t really looking at a 30-06 but at that price it bought it. Now I wanna use it for my hunt next week.

Da** that is a screaming deal I woulda jumped on that too! I have one in 300wsm. And I didn’t think the recoil was hard to get used to. Getting used to
Shooting a light rifle is harder than managing recoil in my Opinion

OP
L
Wow, sweet deal indeed !! While it takes practice to shoot the light rifle, it seems you should be able to determine pretty quickly what your ethical range is to hit the kill zone of whatever animal you'll be hunting. If far enough for you to handle on your hunt, seems like you're good to go. Curious to hear how it works for you.

IF you are used to an action like a Tikka T3/T3x that's not surprising as the Kimber is a model 70 clone and the model 70 action will seldom if ever feel that "slick", it's just how it is ….model 70 style actions are well proven

zog

Lil-Rokslider
One of the Kimber veterans helped him out suggesting that with the super light rifles that he focus on equal pressure on all contact points on the rifle when shooting, as a small variation will show up more in the shots. After a little practice with this, he said his group sizes dropped to sub moa.

Thanks for posting that. Was he any more specific on how he "equalizes" pressure?