Kowa 66A Review

tdhanses

WKR
Forgot one, which you will probably provide information on anyway, but how the image looks at 96x with the 1.6x extender.
I would imagine depending on conditions it’ll look ok, if your looking at the moon, I know the extender on my 77 makes viewing the moon enjoyable.

Otherwise I’ve found the extender to work well but it does degrade the view, I don’t see how this would be any different on the 66.

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
Hi Matt,

My list is below for your consideration. Some of it echoes what has already been posted above. I think that people will definitely want to know how the 66A compares to the 773/774, and probably the 553/554. And of course the 65mm ATS/STS. I hope that you have access to at least a couple for comparison.

I figure that you'll cover at least some of what is listed anyway, but also realize that to test for all of it involves more variables than just the sample scope. And some is subjective or dependent on the viewer. Plus considerable time. Whatever you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

1. Resolution
    • Ideally compared side-by-side to known good reference scope of similar objective size, at same magnification
  2. Control of flare/glare, ghosting
  3. View
    • Color and contrast (how does it compare to reference scope?)
      • Especially with harsh lighting (could be bright sun on light colored landscape, backlit scenes, etc.?)
      • Difficult landscapes where soil and vegetation make it hard to spot game (i.e. not game against green vegetation)
    • Image quality across field, across zoom range
    • Is image sharp at 60x max magnification?
    • Focus snap, or ability to get best focus without a lot of fiddling (can you get sharp focus with the coarse knob or do you need to use the fine?)
    • Brightness
      • I wouldn't expect anything earthshattering with brightness but comparisons to other optics at same theoretical exit pupil would be useful (e.g. 3mm)
  4. Comparison against KOWA family, if possible
    • 66A vs 553
      • I suspect that some might be thinking about an upgrade from 55mm to 66mm, and possibly the better EP
    • 66A vs 773 vs 88A
        • 773 is discontinued but still useful information as it is somewhat of a known quantity and similar size/weight
      • 88A
        • This is not a fair comparison, however it would be interesting to compare resolution at the same magnification in good light
      • Please swap eyepieces during testing and note any differences observed
  5. Comparison against competition
    • 65mm ATS
    • ATC would be great too, but probably outside the scope of this review
  6. Drop testing (joking)
  7. Other
    • What needs improvement?
Why not the 65 ATX/STX? I haven’t checked but is pricing more in line with the STS/ATS?

4th_point

WKR
Why not the 65 ATX/STX? I haven’t checked but is pricing more in line with the STS/ATS?
I believe that the 65mm ATX/STX is heavier, and some reviews indicate that the optical quality is not as good as the ATS/STS.

Not positive about cost but I thought that the X was quite a bit more money too.

4th_point

WKR
I would imagine depending on conditions it’ll look ok, if your looking at the moon, I know the extender on my 77 makes viewing the moon enjoyable.

Otherwise I’ve found the extender to work well but it does degrade the view, I don’t see how this would be any different on the 66.
I would expect the extender to affect the view. But perhaps I am thinking about the combo and request a bit differently.

I want to know how the primary image from the body holds up to a magnification of 1.45x of the objective diameter in mm. Some scopes suck at 1x. Does that make sense?

The problem is that some people, myself included, probably don't have much experience with that level of magnification on a spotting scope. In astronomy, that level of magnification doesn't seem uncommon but the optical design can be very different.

Tahoe1305

WKR

While you’re waiting. S&S thoughts on the two compared. Been a bit since I watched it but what I recall is 77 is pretty darn good for the $ point still (aka many will find a better value).

tdhanses

WKR
I would expect the extender to affect the view. But perhaps I am thinking about the combo and request a bit differently.

I want to know how the primary image from the body holds up to a magnification of 1.45x of the objective diameter in mm. Some scopes suck at 1x. Does that make sense?

The problem is that some people, myself included, probably don't have much experience with that level of magnification on a spotting scope. In astronomy, that level of magnification doesn't seem uncommon but the optical design can be very different.

With my 77 at 96x I can clearly see hits on a 12” target at 1300 yards with the extender but the atmospheric conditions destroy all clarity, it’s easy to tell what your looking at though.

I would assume it would be similar in the 66 just because atmospheric conditions really effect everything at that magnification.

The extender is a fun to have item really but I don’t take it hunting. Actually though I rarely take my 77 hunting anymore and just take the 55 due the weight and reduced bulk and since I glass 90% with binos I just use the spotter to get a better look at what I can’t make out with binos.

dapesche

WKR
With my 77 at 96x I can clearly see hits on a 12” target at 1300 yards with the extender but the atmospheric conditions destroy all clarity, it’s easy to tell what your looking at though.

I would assume it would be similar in the 66 just because atmospheric conditions really effect everything at that magnification.

The extender is a fun to have item really but I don’t take it hunting.
I head out for Stone sheep in a couple weeks. I think the extender is going to come with me. Just never know what might need a closer look in the morning or evening.

Even if the image is a bit fuzzy due to heat waves, I think having it will help a bit. Potentially saving a lot of hiking distance.

I have the 883.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

JNDEER

WKR
A review is only as good as what you compare the new optic to. Edge clearity when compared to many of the others already listed, but if you have a Meostar 85 why not through that in as well. I am not looking for last light- but how does the 66 compare to others for edge clearity or chart resolution at distance (1000-2000 yards)

tdhanses

WKR
Hi Matt,

My list is below for your consideration. Some of it echoes what has already been posted above. I think that people will definitely want to know how the 66A compares to the 773/774, and probably the 553/554. And of course the 65mm ATS/STS. I hope that you have access to at least a couple for comparison.

I figure that you'll cover at least some of what is listed anyway, but also realize that to test for all of it involves more variables than just the sample scope. And some is subjective or dependent on the viewer. Plus considerable time. Whatever you can share would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

1. Resolution
    • Ideally compared side-by-side to known good reference scope of similar objective size, at same magnification
  2. Control of flare/glare, ghosting
  3. View
    • Color and contrast (how does it compare to reference scope?)
      • Especially with harsh lighting (could be bright sun on light colored landscape, backlit scenes, etc.?)
      • Difficult landscapes where soil and vegetation make it hard to spot game (i.e. not game against green vegetation)
    • Image quality across field, across zoom range
    • Is image sharp at 60x max magnification?
    • Focus snap, or ability to get best focus without a lot of fiddling (can you get sharp focus with the coarse knob or do you need to use the fine?)
    • Brightness
      • I wouldn't expect anything earthshattering with brightness but comparisons to other optics at same theoretical exit pupil would be useful (e.g. 3mm)
  4. Comparison against KOWA family, if possible
    • 66A vs 553
      • I suspect that some might be thinking about an upgrade from 55mm to 66mm, and possibly the better EP
    • 66A vs 773 vs 88A
        • 773 is discontinued but still useful information as it is somewhat of a known quantity and similar size/weight
      • 88A
        • This is not a fair comparison, however it would be interesting to compare resolution at the same magnification in good light
      • Please swap eyepieces during testing and note any differences observed
  5. Comparison against competition
    • 65mm ATS
    • ATC would be great too, but probably outside the scope of this review
  6. Drop testing (joking)
  7. Other
    • What needs improvement?
The eyepiece hasn’t changed supposedly but that would be interesting to check.

tdhanses

WKR
I head out for Stone sheep in a couple weeks. I think the extender is going to come with me. Just never know what might need a closer look in the morning or evening.

Even if the image is a bit fuzzy due to heat waves, I think having it will help a bit. Potentially saving a lot of hiking distance.

I have the 883.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk
I would definitely take it for sheep or goat hunting.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
A review is only as good as what you compare the new optic to. Edge clearity when compared to many of the others already listed, but if you have a Meostar 85 why not through that in as well. I am not looking for last light- but how does the 66 compare to others for edge clearity or chart resolution at distance (1000-2000 yards)
If you want to check resolution the 1951 chart seems to be one of the easiest to find standards. You can also use it close so your test isn't impacted by heat wave distortion.
b456aadd0af636a443355ba02f1fe7e1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Fwiw, I am also expecting a 66A to show up within the near future. If it arrives in time, it will come out for the sheep opener in Alaska, along with the 1.6x extender. After having used the 77 and 55 for several years now, I should have a fairly good comparison point to go off of. I currently still own the 553, so will also do some direct comparisons later in August.
The extender on the 77 was invaluable at times in making out detail in horns and determining full curl on rams that were sometimes miles away.

Here is a ram that I took last year, photographed with the 77, Extender on max magnification (96x), IPhone 14 pro and MagView from appx. half a mile away. While you can’t make out all the annuli, you can see enough of them stacked up near the base to determine that he is an older ram, that turned out to be 10.

IMG_2737.jpeg

dapesche

WKR
Fwiw, I am also expecting a 66A to show up within the near future. If it arrives in time, it will come out for the sheep opener in Alaska, along with the 1.6x extender. After having used the 77 and 55 for several years now, I should have a fairly good comparison point to go off of. I currently still own the 553, so will also do some direct comparisons later in August.
The extender on the 77 was invaluable at times in making out detail in horns and determining full curl on rams that were sometimes miles away.

Here is a ram that I took last year, photographed with the 77, Extender on max magnification (96x), IPhone 14 pro and MagView from appx. half a mile away. While you can’t make out all the annuli, you can see enough of them stacked up near the base to determine that he is an older ram, that turned out to be 10.

View attachment 582397
well this gets me excited for my stone hunt in a couple weeks!!

The 883 is in the pack but that 66a looks interesting

4th_point

WKR
The eyepiece hasn’t changed supposedly but that would be interesting to check.
Yeah, as far as I know there are no changes but I wonder about sample variation?

From limited tests that I have done, I don't see much difference between exact make/model of EP. At least within my testing ability. But am still curious, in case a lemon gets in the mix.

I would really like to know more about the 66 with the TE-80XW fixed 35x eye piece. If anyone has the ability to try this combo, please describe how it works.

Last edited:

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
If possible could you check to see if it is magview compatible?

Contacted them directly this morning and all they said was they had trouble with kowa in the past.