Kowa 66A Review

ILPete

FNG
Just received a 66A. My initial impressions when comparing it to an ATX 85 are about the same as those in this review. 66A is every bit as sharp as the 85ATX and seems to have a touch more clarity and contrast. Would like to see the 77 series reissued with the fluorite objective.

Lenscoat now makes form fitting spotting scope covers. I have one on the way.

Last edited:
I bought the 66A when it first came out and here is my experience. It is optically superior to everything that I have put it side by side to, but not by as much as you might think compared to scopes like the 553 and Vortex Razor. As always you are really dealing with diminishing returns and fighting atmospheric conditions.The atmosphere is usually a problem before the limits of the scope itself are reached. I was very happy with the scope minus 2 things. It is a tiny touch heavier than advertised and the minimum 25x can be annoying. It comes out to 54.46oz with caps on my scale which I have found to be very reliable.

My biggest gripe is definitely the minimum magnification. Since I carry 10x binos I have a big gap when it comes to mid range glassing so I sometimes am left without the right tool for the job. Additionally the 25x can sometimes make target acquisition tricky, wasting some precious moments.

Overall I am super happy with the scope and I love having it in my pack because I never need to ask, “what if my scope was a little better? Would I have been able to see that thing or better identify it?” I know there is nothing left to chance, the scope always stayed fog free, totally clear and performed at the highest level. I did not use any sort of cover and just had it loose in my pack with no issues at all except the scope caps like to fall off. With that said I am still on the fence if it is worth carrying over the 553 as the performance of the 553 is so ridiculously good, the weight savings is superb, and the minimum magnification better bridges the gap from by binoculars.

I know some people are asking about digiscoping. Here are images at around 1000 yards using an iPhone 11 pro on a ScopeCam Adapter. Nothing incredible but never left without the detail needed. The slightly older phone is also probably a factor.

Attachments

• IMG_9518.jpeg
    IMG_9518.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_9762.jpeg
    IMG_9762.jpeg
    298.6 KB · Views: 84

FB Trout

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the review. My son has purchased this spotter and it is phenomenal. Easy to get behind and superbly clear, with an image that is unparalleled. I have a Kowa 553, but am strongly considering one of these 66As.

chris888

FNG
Thanks for the review, I ended up ordering an 88a but I was interested in the 66 as well